Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Got my new EU2000i's

Today I took delivery, via FEDEX and Wise, for the 2000i and it's Companion. Here's my first thoughts and questions.

They were bigger than I expected. Having never seen them in person until FEDEX arrived, I was surprised at the size of the boxes and contents. I could lift them okay, nevertheless, but they may be too heavy for my DW to lug around.

Putting oil in was a bit of a trick. First, I couldn't find the capacity number in the manual. It turned out that about 250 ml seemed to fill the crankcase just fine. I needed a funnel. But I still found I needed to slightly tilt the generator to make it easier to pour without making a mess.

I thought starting was very easy. It took about 8 pulls the first time to get them going. Later they worked fine on the first pull.

I connected the two gens together with the parallel cable. Easy to do, but why not have a plug instead of a screw connection for the common ground? I tried all combinations after plugging in the shore power. I ran on one generator, both generators, etc. They all worked fine. I did notice that the lights blinked when the A/C compressor started. I suppose that's normal for the start up load?

Q1. What is the amp load of just plugging in the trailer and running the 12v system? My inverter model is a 7355 and cover plate says 55Amps. But that's certainly not a 120V load. I assume then that anything I plug in/turn on above that will be additive to the basic 12v system. I can find wattage for the microwave, toaster, tv, etc. Knowing all the loads, I can decide when to use one or both generators.

Q2. I can't find a direct reference, but I assume my 13,500 BTU A/C uses about 14.5 - 15 amps. Sound about right?

Q3. How about running the generator(s) sitting on the bed of the truck? I have a camper cover, so I guess it would be okay to let them set on the open tailgate. Probably have the exhaust pointing away from the bed. Anyone find any problem with this? Anyone ever try running one of these set further back in the bed so they would be protected from rain.

Q4. Security: I'm investigating options. I like one member's (McKelvay) idea ["I wrap a Python type cable around the generator - not just through the handle as a thief can cut through the plastic handle. Make sure the cable is tight and then use another cable through the Python and secure to a strong part of the trailer or motorhome with a good lock"] Seems like I could also lock it to tie-downs on the pickup bed or the safety chains on the trailer. That optional metal handle cover seems pricey.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I have the same generator set up, but have only connected them together once. If I recall, the generators stutters, and the lights dim whenever the AC compressor kicks on. Same thing for the microwave when I'm only using one generator. I've found the Honda generators to be solid and dependable. I chain mine to the trailer tongue. When I'm away, they get locked in the truck.

I've found this to be a useful, and inexpensive, tool for measuring loads.

Amazon.com: Reliance Controls THP103 AmWatt Generator Appliance Wattage/Amps Load Tester: Patio, Lawn & Garden
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
......>snip<...... I needed a funnel. But I still found I needed to slightly tilt the generator to make it easier to pour without making a mess. ....>snip<....
I ended buying a small funnel and a piece of clear plastic tubing to use when filling the oil...makes it a lot easier and you don't have to tilt the genny to fill it... I just store the tube and the funnel in a plastic zip lock bag... Also bought a piece of plastic tubing large enough to fit over the whole lip that's below the oil port, so that when I drain the oil I can direct it with the tube...otherwise is gets pretty messy. Also stored in the plastic zip lock.

You should only need to run both gennies in parallel when you are using the AC. A single 2000w should run everything else without issues. I do not use the Eco mode when running parallel for the AC...have never noticed it stumbling when it revs up...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I just purchased the same two generators last week including the cable to join them. I mounted them in my service truck for a 2hp aircompressor but they will also serve for the airstream as well. When my compressor kicks on the light blinks a bit and they shudder but recover nicely. The eco mode is nice too and they idle right down once the load is reduced. Im working on some pictures of the setup.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Q1: 12 volts at 55 amps is 660 watts. Even if running at full bore, is well within the capacity of one EU2000i. As the converter rarely pulls that much current, I find no problem running a small microwave, tv set, etc as well as lights and charging the batteries on one generator.

Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Q3. How about running the generator(s) sitting on the bed of the truck? I have a camper cover, so I guess it would be okay to let them set on the open tailgate. Probably have the exhaust pointing away from the bed. Anyone find any problem with this? Anyone ever try running one of these set further back in the bed so they would be protected from rain."

Run ours in a small tent behind the trailer to keep it dry, if you can't SEE it running
it's even quieter!!

Q4. Security: I'm investigating options. I like one member's (McKelvay) idea ["I wrap a Python type cable around the generator - not just through the handle as a thief can cut through the plastic handle. Make sure the cable is tight and then use another cable through the Python and secure to a strong part of the trailer or motorhome with a good lock"] Seems like I could also lock it to tie-downs on the pickup bed or the safety chains on the trailer. That optional metal handle cover seems pricey.

Never gets left outside if no-ones at the site, get's packed in a RubberMaid ActionPacker and locked inside or in the Burb. Seals well, no smell.

Bob
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Good choice; you will get used to them. We often run a gen on our tailgate with the bed topper open.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote