Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Adding 200 additional watts: Roof mount or portable.

Hello All,
I have 400 watts of Zamp Obsidian panels on my trailer. I'm pleased with the performance but I keep my trailer in the barn so I still have to keep it plugged in for the batteries.
I am considering adding portable panels to keep the batteries topped off plus being able to park in the shade and still replenish the batteries while camping. If I choose to do that, what's the best way to wire the panels in the system. I can save money by purchasing an unregulated kit and using my current solar charge controller.
If I do that, I considered splicing the Zamp plug on the A-frame into the wires between the panels and the solar charge controller.
Or i could purchase a regulated kit and just plug it into the Zamp connector and straight to the batteries.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Tony
T Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
With the cost of external portable panels being very low, I would do what I did. I built a low-cost system ($600) with three flexible panels backed with PVC board. I used an MTTP controller from Renogy and bought a waterproof box to house it and even added fans to keep it cool! I have 75' of solar cable so I can place it around the trailer and find the best place for the sun. I have made a carry case that protects all the panels when traveling.

This all plugs into the Zamp controller port in the front of the trailer.

The 300 watts can be used to keep your batteries up while the trailer is being stored inside.

That said, I've now added two more Zamp panels to the roof of my Classic 30 (470 watts) and no longer need these for traveling, but it was a fun experiment to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar 1.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	398565   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar 2.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	398566  

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar 3.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	398567  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Get a Zamp portable panel with the built in controller. Great build quality on the stand, nice case to protect it, and easy to use. You are not limited to the Zamp brand for a portable panel, as long as it has its own controller.

I bought this 140w for about $500 in 2018. I’m sure you can find this or something similar for the same price.

https://www.zampsolar.com/collection...able-solar-kit
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote