Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Texas
Kitchen sink drain detached

Hi folks,

Just purchased a nearly new 2021 30FB Bunk and drove it about 800 miles home. There were some killer potholes in Oklahoma that I think have jarred loose whatever supports the kitchen drain pipe. As you see in the photo it is just leaning forward.

Full story - the faucet had jarred loose as well and the bracket attaching the faucet partially broke. I was able to put the faucet back together, but the drain pipe is hanging so loose that the trap won't even connect to the sink. You can move the pipe easily up and down by hand.

Pics are the broken bracket under the faucet and the loose drain pipe.

Any ideas on where this drain pipe should attach to be supported?

thanks!
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	397660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	397661  

RanchoTexano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Seems to me that if you loosen/realign/retighten the slip joints it should line up and hold. Maybe the slip joint on the p trap wasn’t snugged at the factory?

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Texas
Thanks but it just slips right out because there really is nothing to hold the sink drain pipe to the P trap.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
There should be a little plastic collar inside the joint that holds it by friction. The connection aren’t under pressure so it’s just a regular sink tailpipe like you’d have at home. If friction doesn’t hold it take it apart, go to Lowe’s and re-engineer.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Texas
Ok, I’m feeling a little dumb. Thanks guys so much! Once I put the rubber gasket on the drain pipe and then inserted in the p trap it held just fine!

I think because the rig is so new, things just are a little loose. It went right back together.

Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
There should be a little plastic collar inside the joint that holds it by friction. The connection aren’t under pressure so it’s just a regular sink tailpipe like you’d have at home. If friction doesn’t hold it take it apart, go to Lowe’s and re-engineer.
Try that. (from civeng99)

It is not terribly uncommon for that to happen. On our previous 25 I put a small block of foam under the P-trap on the bathroom sink to make sure it wouldn't come loose. Snugging the collar helped but the foam solved the issue for good.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Maybe I'm not seeing this right, but what is the other end of the drain pipe attached to, behind the cabinet, that lets it appear to flop around? Shouldn't that pipe be solidly attached to the rest of the plumbing system?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Likely nothing. The tip is just an in-line vent so it drains (doesn’t either not work or glub glub as it goes down the drain. Honestly I’d probably reengineer it as it will prob come apart again under vibration. But engineers have to well, overdo it
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Likely nothing. The tip is just an in-line vent so it drains (doesn’t either not work or glub glub as it goes down the drain. Honestly I’d probably reengineer it as it will prob come apart again under vibration. But engineers have to well, overdo it
I mean the bottom of the pipe. OP says the drain pipe is "leaning forward". How is there that much flex in the piping that it can lean far enough forward to create that large a gap?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Texas
The other end of the pipe is all solidly glued but still has a lot of freedom of motion up and down. I like the idea of putting a foam block under it so maybe it doesn’t bounce loose again!

Really appreciate how great this community is. Thanks folks
Old 06-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoTexano View Post
Ok, I’m feeling a little dumb. Thanks guys so much! Once I put the rubber gasket on the drain pipe and then inserted in the p trap it held just fine!

I think because the rig is so new, things just are a little loose. It went right back together.

Thanks again!
Yep! That IS a handy clean out. (If your wife ever loses a diamond out of her ring... loosen this joint and check. Big hero moment... after you clean all the gunk off.) I just periodically tighten it - about once a.month - because traveling vibration will loosen it.