Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Cool 2021 FC with tankless; bathroom sink heats but shower and kitchen sink do not...

Has anyone seen this problem before? We bought a 2021 Flying Cloud 30’ Bunk, and it comes with a tankless water heater. The water heater works fine in the bathroom sink; when we turn the handle to “hot,” we see the water heater activate and it goes reasonably quickly from 50ish degrees to 120ish degrees F. But if we turn on the kitchen sink to hot, or the shower to hot, we get ice-cold water nearly indefinitely.

We saw the problem immediately on our first trip, and asked Bay Area Airstream to take a look; they said “no problem found.” We’re on our second trip and I now have a video of me holding an instant-read thermometer under the kitchen tap for four minutes with no hot water at all.

I did notice that if we turn on the bathroom sink to hot, then turn on the kitchen sink or shower to hot, we do get hot water. Also, on occasion, if we run the sink for more than five or ten minutes straight, sometimes the water will suddenly become hot (jumping from 50ish to 120ish F in under a minute).

I’ve washed a lot of dishes in icy water and we’re skipping showers altogether, unless we have full hookups and can have both sinks on, or the bathroom sink and the shower, with the grey tank dump left open so it doesn’t fill up immediately. But for now, boondocking is out, which is really frustrating.

Any advice or confirming reports would be great. Thanks!
precipice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the problem but I am familiar with Bay Area Airstream and am surprised at their response as they are usually pretty good.

Unless your issue is highly intermittent it's hard to imagine that they could turn on the galley tap to hot, wait 4+ minutes for heated water and then declare "no problem found". That's unacceptable. Maybe your video will convince them. Good luck.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the problem but I am familiar with Bay Area Airstream and am surprised at their response as they are usually pretty good.

Unless your issue is highly intermittent it's hard to imagine that they could turn on the galley tap to hot, wait 4+ minutes for heated water and then declare "no problem found". That's unacceptable. Maybe your video will convince them. Good luck.
Thanks much. My experiences with them have been good, too. I’m wondering if they turned on the bathroom sink first (which masks the problem for a short while). Anyway, much appreciated.
precipice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Defiance , Missouri
I just installed a Furrion water heater in my Overlander and have a similar issue. When using on board water, I need to run both bathroom and kitchen sinks to get enough flow to kick the heater on. My shower has enough flow to kick it off by itself. When city water is connected, there are no issues. I suspect my pump doesn't put out enough pressure to kick off the heater consistently. I contacted Furrion support for help, let's see what they say. What brand is in your trailer?
62olander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
79 Airstream Excella

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Norfolk , Virginia
No hot water

I have seen a couple of issues like this. Do not know your vehicle but if your running what some people call a smart tap - if there is no water pressure is on one side it will allow pressure from the other side to allow water to flow. Problem could be the hot water valve closed. The other is when the tankless heater is installed incorrectly - hot water side of the tank does not feed those outlets. try checking all the vales and turning off the cold water side to make sure the water is coming from the tankless unit. If it is it maybe as "62olander" stated. Jerry
TR6RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
79 Airstream Excella

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Norfolk , Virginia
No hot water

Sorry only read the part that came thru my e-mail - Missed half your statement.
TR6RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by precipice View Post
Has anyone seen this problem before? We bought a 2021 Flying Cloud 30’ Bunk, and it comes with a tankless water heater. The water heater works fine in the bathroom sink; when we turn the handle to “hot,” we see the water heater activate and it goes reasonably quickly from 50ish degrees to 120ish degrees F. But if we turn on the kitchen sink to hot, or the shower to hot, we get ice-cold water nearly indefinitely.

We saw the problem immediately on our first trip, and asked Bay Area Airstream to take a look; they said “no problem found.” We’re on our second trip and I now have a video of me holding an instant-read thermometer under the kitchen tap for four minutes with no hot water at all.

I did notice that if we turn on the bathroom sink to hot, then turn on the kitchen sink or shower to hot, we do get hot water. Also, on occasion, if we run the sink for more than five or ten minutes straight, sometimes the water will suddenly become hot (jumping from 50ish to 120ish F in under a minute).

I’ve washed a lot of dishes in icy water and we’re skipping showers altogether, unless we have full hookups and can have both sinks on, or the bathroom sink and the shower, with the grey tank dump left open so it doesn’t fill up immediately. But for now, boondocking is out, which is really frustrating.

Any advice or confirming reports would be great. Thanks!

Welcome to the 2021 30'Bunk. We also upgrade to the 30' Bunk last month. We didnt experience the issue you are having. it does take longer for the kitchen sink and shower to recieve hot water, though it is eventually recieved. I would say 1-1.5 minutes. Yes, we are going to miss our 2020's water heater, we never had an issue running out of hot water. Now, we will probably never wash our hands or dishes with warm water again. ...Tempted to replace the on-demand with a tank.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Midland , Ontario
Hot Water

We're currently renting an apartment (Covid related) with 'instant' hot water and are not impressed at all. Even with full hook ups it's a waste of water waiting for the hot. Dry camping's not practical as fresh water is at a premium.
I understand new AS's only come with these heaters and if so, very disappointing.
Aprilrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Odessa , Florida
I am waiting on a new AS, but did have a tankless water heater on my Class A and new home for the past two years. Had the same problems on both applications. What I have learned is that tankless heaters need a certain amount of water flow to work. If I turn on both hot and some cold (say in the shower), then no hot water, or it initially works then goes cold after getting all lathered up!. My fix has been to adjust the max temp down to a temp I like for the shower so that I can use full, 100% hot water tap and no cold water. For me it's 112 degrees. So, no scalding water to wash dishes, just full hot water tap at 112 degrees.
I think these are called tankless heaters because no one likes them! (sorry, you can tank me later).
JosephRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Defiance , Missouri
Tanks again for your post.....

I just removed the plastic flow restrictors from my kitchen and bathroom faucets, that seemed to solve the problem for me.
62olander is offline   Reply With Quote