Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
68 Safari Toilet & Tank

I need some help to identify the correct parts to use for this type of holding tank. Once I stripped out the bathroom, and the rotted flooring, this is the opening to the tank that sits directly under the toilet. There was a rusted out metal mounting bracket, and some old plastic/rubber type flanges that was sitting inside the opening of the tank. I do not know if this was the correct way for this toilet to be installed, but it did look like the toilet had been removed in the past.

Question about the tank. The tank seems like it was a flexible plastic more than a fiberglass tank, was this something that may have been replaced with an incorrct tank type?

The toilet is an Aqua Magic SH or SL.

truc_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
The toilet doesn't look original. My 67 has a Mansfield (Sealand) toilet. Is the top inside part of the tank threaded? On some there is a mounting ring that screws into the tank. The new toilet setup may have changed this. That looks like the original black tank but it's had to tell from the picture.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
From what you see in the picture, no this is not threaded, it just had a flange sitting there
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
On my 67 tradewind the tank had a large black plastic flange that screwed in to the tank. That flange had 8 holes in it for wood screws to screw into the floor.In addition the flange had 4 slots for the toilet bolts. I wonder if your flange was broken off the tank. That may be why you cannot see threads on the inside of the tank opening. If that is the case you might try to split the broken off part of the old flange to remove it from the tank. You could do that by carefully sawing vertically through the old piece of flange. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
You will need something like this. Toilet Mounting Ring. You can get the non stainless version at any hardware store. It mounts around the outside. Allot like your home toilet.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Silverleeper, thats the part that was slipped around the neck of the flange shown in the picture, if its standard that even better!

Now the flange that is on the tank now, is that is a screw on or part of the tank itself?

There were two non-threaded flanges sitting on that one in the picture when i took it out, if that helps.

Thanks for all the advise!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Now the flange that is on the tank now, is that is a screw on or part of the tank itself?

[/quote]
I think that is a threaded part. I think if you split the black ring vertically in two places you could peel it out of the tank. I would use a hacksaw blade, it is plastic and should cut easily. Adios, john
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by truc_05 View Post
Silverleeper, thats the part that was slipped around the neck of the flange shown in the picture, if its standard that even better!

There were two non-threaded flanges sitting on that one in the picture when i took it out, if that helps.

Thanks for all the advise!
A pic of the flange setup would help. I don't think you have the same setup as Diesel1 and I have because of the different toilet. The parts are fairly standard and you will probably be able to get them locally.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
i'll see what i can do, might be about 2 weeks before i can get one, being that I brought the trailer to my parents house a few hours north of where I am. My dad has more time to work on it than I do, so he gets to work on it for me during the week when I am working.

I will attempt to talk him though taking a picture and sending it to me via MMS on the cell phone.. Attempt....
Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
The set-up you describe sounds exactly like the one in the GT. Aqua Magic in my rig as well. The metal ring holding the toilet to the flange had rusted causing the toilet to come off the flange. There were 8 screws holding the whole thing to the floor as Diesel1 described.
The remaining plastic part of the flange had two notches on the inside edge. I cut a piece of steel bar stock to fit the notches, fit a wrench to the bar and used that as leverage to unscrew the flange from the tank.
The tank in mine is a white plastic. Maybe ABS or PVC. Definatly not fiberglass.
I found a usable replacement flange at the local Camping World.
I think you’re on the right track with the repair. If the notches are gone then sawing is the only reasonable alternative.
I photographed the whole repair but seem to have lost them in the digital ethos. I'll keep looking.

Good Luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote