Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
What now?

Hello,

I'm a new, proud owner of a 1968 20' Land yacht Globetrotter. I found her on Craigslist in Sedona AZ. I rigged some lights, packed the bearings and replaced the tires before bringing her home to So Cal. She pulled like a dream down the 17 to the 10 and home. We even drove through wind and rain the entire trip and no problems.

The interior has been completely removed and sold by the previous owners. The only things left are the control box, fuse box and a few receptacles and light switches. The control box is incredibly cool and retro so I'd like to salvage it and incorporate it into the modernization. Any ideas how or where i can fix it? Thankfully the floors, windows and exterior are in excellent condition. What's the best way to clean the rust off of the window frames and hardware? I haven't pulled the belly pan yet so not sure the condition of the frame. Can anyone tell me any advice on how to restore/replace the brakes.

My other issue is since I have no original interior, only pics, I'm not sure to modernize or restore. I think I'd like to modernize but without the old interior for ideas and templates I'm feeling a little out of my league. Any ideas? What about a new bath. Where in gods green earth can I find modern bathroom fixtures to fit the curves and space available?

It looks like I'll need to re-wire her so does anyone know where I can get the schematics for that year, make and model?

As you can surely tell I'm a beginner at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Troy
troyreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Troy,

Take a look here for pictures of the interior of several Globetrotters: 68Globetrotter

While you are at it, wander around the site. It is the most comprehensive site on Airstream history.

Also, check out a WBCCI rally nearby, you may find a 1968 Globetrotter at one. You will certainly find information.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Congratulations on your new GT and welcome to the Forum.
All the GlobeTrotters of the period had rear baths, center galleys and beds with a front couch and pull-up, fold out table on the wall next to the door.
Fortunatly you have a clean slate to work with and will no doubt find the floor plan to fit your needs.
Take a look at The Vintage Airstream archives to get some ideas of how the interiors looked in that era. Vintage Airstream Photo Archives
While you're at it don't be afraid to get ideas from earlier and later periods as well.
Good luck and have fun. We're always here to give advice and practical how to tips and instructions. The search function may be a bit cumbersome but there is a wealth of information to be found here.
Wally and Forum rallys are great fun and will spark you imagination. There always seems to be a function in the S. Cal. area. Check the calender at the bottom of the page.

Keep us posted,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Check out Area 63 Productions.

Go to Uwe's website: www.area63productions.com. He has great ideas....he is renovating our 68 Ambassador but he has worked on others as well....Good luck on your renovation.......you are going to love your Airstream......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
One more thing

I believe Babeebloos has a 63 Globetrotter that may still be at Area63productions right now that can give you some interior ideas......not too far from you. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyreeb View Post
Hello,

I'm a new, proud owner of a 1968 20' Land yacht Globetrotter. I found her on Craigslist in Sedona AZ. I rigged some lights, packed the bearings and replaced the tires before bringing her home to So Cal. She pulled like a dream down the 17 to the 10 and home. We even drove through wind and rain the entire trip and no problems.

The interior has been completely removed and sold by the previous owners. The only things left are the control box, fuse box and a few receptacles and light switches. The control box is incredibly cool and retro so I'd like to salvage it and incorporate it into the modernization. Any ideas how or where i can fix it? Thankfully the floors, windows and exterior are in excellent condition. What's the best way to clean the rust off of the window frames and hardware? I haven't pulled the belly pan yet so not sure the condition of the frame. Can anyone tell me any advice on how to restore/replace the brakes.

My other issue is since I have no original interior, only pics, I'm not sure to modernize or restore. I think I'd like to modernize but without the old interior for ideas and templates I'm feeling a little out of my league. Any ideas? What about a new bath. Where in gods green earth can I find modern bathroom fixtures to fit the curves and space available?

It looks like I'll need to re-wire her so does anyone know where I can get the schematics for that year, make and model?

As you can surely tell I'm a beginner at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Troy
Reading some of the articles on our web site, may be of some help to you.

Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, electrical, interior, restoration, window