Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2023, 11:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus Installation

We are not very happy with Girard tankless water heater comes with our 2022 2-20FB Bambi, it not only takes a while to get hot water, it also has inconstant hot/cold mixing for navy shower in boondocking.

After some research, it appears the best solution to get instant constant hot water is Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus, which has a small holding tank and can circulate warm water through the hot water recirculate line.

Unfortunately, Truma only offers AquaGo Comfort (Non-Plus) in dealer installation which doesn't have hot water circulation feature, The plus version is only factory option for now, we are out of luck unless Airstream can work with Truma to offer this option in the future.

So I scored a Comfort Plus which has winterization damage in the holding tank through ebay with stealer deal. And got the holding tank parts from dealer, it's quite straight forward process to dissemble/replace/assemble.

I also ordered control panel and a white access door and painted with metallic silver, it matches the airstream skin very well, has factory look.

I have tested Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus after installation. In any of hot water faucet/shower head, the hot water comes out just in a second, very impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	427636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	427637  

miamipanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
The unit is exact fit. And the access door with XS size also fit perfectly

The door was painted with silver metallic, multiple coat sanded with 500 grit in between, and last clear coat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0259.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	427638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	427639  

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	427640  
Old 01-31-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
Great score on the used units. I saw a shelf full of units that froze that people neglect to winterize at the Factory service center. They keep rebuilt ones there and sell them at $700 exchange but will not warranty as it's so easy to winterize.
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
Forgot to mention. Always shut the power off at the remote before disconnecting the battery switch or an error will occur.
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade69 View Post
Great score on the used units. I saw a shelf full of units that froze that people neglect to winterize at the Factory service center. They keep rebuilt ones there and sell them at $700 exchange but will not warranty as it's so easy to winterize.
Our unit was the last one of the bunch listing, all units had winterization damage at the exact same place. Totally agree, Truma has designed drain level in place but people just forgot to do so. They need to replace the whole unit to fix it
Old 01-31-2023, 06:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade69 View Post
Forgot to mention. Always shut the power off at the remote before disconnecting the battery switch or an error will occur.
Thank you for the suggestion, don't know this scenario will throw error.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
The drain is the easiest thing to do. Pull yellow lever, remove filter plug.

Leave filter plug out.

If you put it back in, it traps water in the lower tube area, then pops. Leaving it out let's everything work out just fine.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Does installation of the AquaGo Comfort Plus require changes to the plumbing in addition to changing out the Girard? I have a 2023 23FBT. I am trying to decide whether to install a Shower Miser with the existing Girard, or go with the AquaGo Comfort Plus if I can find one.

Are there any other options to accomplish the same result?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Does installation of the AquaGo Comfort Plus require changes to the plumbing in addition to changing out the Girard? I have a 2023 23FBT. I am trying to decide whether to install a Shower Miser with the existing Girard, or go with the AquaGo Comfort Plus if I can find one.

Are there any other options to accomplish the same result?

There are some plumbing work. Such as install warm water recirculating line from far end of the faucet to water heater. And the position of the hot water and cold water outlet of water heater is different, need adjust a bit in the water tank department.

But it is all basic pex piping work, not terrible difficult at all
Old 04-02-2024, 05:12 AM   #10

2019 19' Flying Cloud
glen allen , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamipanther View Post
We are not very happy with Girard tankless water heater comes with our 2022 2-20FB Bambi, it not only takes a while to get hot water, it also has inconstant hot/cold mixing for navy shower in boondocking.

After some research, it appears the best solution to get instant constant hot water is Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus, which has a small holding tank and can circulate warm water through the hot water recirculate line.

Unfortunately, Truma only offers AquaGo Comfort (Non-Plus) in dealer installation which doesn't have hot water circulation feature, The plus version is only factory option for now, we are out of luck unless Airstream can work with Truma to offer this option in the future.

So I scored a Comfort Plus which has winterization damage in the holding tank through ebay with stealer deal. And got the holding tank parts from dealer, it's quite straight forward process to dissemble/replace/assemble.

I also ordered control panel and a white access door and painted with metallic silver, it matches the airstream skin very well, has factory look.

I have tested Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus after installation. In any of hot water faucet/shower head, the hot water comes out just in a second, very impressed.
Since you repaired this unit, do you have any photos of the side panel removed showing where the plumbing is. I have investigated the difference between the comfort and plus unit and it looks like an extra tee in the circulation line. Every other part number is identical. I just cant wrap my head around how the hot water loop circulates to the taps if there are 2 tees in the part i circled. It seems the flow of water would take the path of least resistance and avoid the hot water taps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20240402_070957_Chrome.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	442403  
Sarek is offline   Reply With Quote