Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Small drip from outside of waste pipe

I used the grey/black tanks this weekend for the first time on my '82 34' limited. I noticed that i am getting a small drip on the outside of the sewer pipe (running down the pipe from in the belly and dripping at the connector). It appears hat the PO may have bumped the pipe some time ago.
Does this sound like a valve issue? cracked pipe? tank?

I am assuming I may have to cut the belly pan open to get to the plumbing. I am trying to get as much info as possible before I attempt to cut the belly open.

Other than that, the trip this weekend was great! We had a lot of curious visitors checking out the rig!
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Does this sound like a valve issue? cracked pipe? tank?
Could be any of those three, but I think you will see others recommend that you only cut out a piece large enough to reveal the valve and a bit of the surrounding items.

That, you can patch once you have resolved the problem.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Thanks Aage, that sounds like a good idea to me.
Hopefully it is something simple!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
On my trailer I had a similar leak. The cause ended up being that two of the corners on the black holding tank flange, which the valve screws to, had broken off. The other two screws were holding, and being that my valve arangement is wedged between the tanks, everything held together even when full, just got a small leak where the black valve mated with it's tank.

The broken corners were still there, hanging on the mounting screws. I took everything apart and was able to glue the broken corners back on with a solvent glue rated for both PVC and ABS, since I wasn't exactly sure which I was dealing with. At this same time I replaced both dump valves since they had leaking interior seals.

As for access, a removeable panel was already on the bottom of the tank enclosure, though a previous owner had made some cuts to bend metal out of the way and enlarge the opening. I cut this flap of metal loose and had lots of room to work, and then spliced things together into one jumbo access panel when done. I did that about six years ago and its still working well.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Thanks christopher! I am opening up the belly today to see what I can find. That gives me a place to start.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24