Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Sewer Hose length?

Getting ready for our first trip out with Daisy, and wondering if 10 feet of sewer hosing is adequate? That's the length that comes with the tt off the lot. Would appreciate any suggestions from our experienced AS friends.

Thanks,
Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
I find 10 feet to be adequate most of the time. There are times however when that is not enough. I have an additional 10 feet that I can quickly connect to the existing one. I have never needed more than 20 feet.
Good luck and Happy travels.
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
My husband did buy an additional 10 feet of hosing which I think we'll keep now for backup. Just thought we would need more than that. Thanks James for the tip.

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
Old 04-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Don,t forget to get the fittings for each end so that the two hoses can be connected together. There are several different kinds available and can be found at camping supply stores, Walmart, Camping World, etc.
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I threw out the original 10' hose that the dealer supplied and bought a heavy duty 20' hose. I've run into enough places where the 20' hose was the saving grace. The heavy duty hose uses a heavier plastic which keeps you from the punctures that you sometimes get when you are camped at rocky sites.

My advice is just upgrade to the better and longer hose. Save yourself the issues of buying a coupler and having to join the hoses together. Just one more point of failure.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with what Jack said. I also removed our stock hose and added an HD 25' hose because at my house, I have a sewer line polk through. If for some reason after boondocking, I can't find a dump station, I can simply connect the hose and dump at home. With the external tank flush, it's gonna be a total piece of cake to dump.

10 feet seems just too short!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Schmidt
I find 10 feet to be adequate most of the time. There are times however when that is not enough. I have an additional 10 feet that I can quickly connect to the existing one. I have never needed more than 20 feet.
Good luck and Happy travels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

10 feet seems just too short!
WOW!! I had No IDEA
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Additional factors for "safety"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail Ahmed
Getting ready for our first trip out with Daisy, and wondering if 10 feet of sewer hosing is adequate? That's the length that comes with the tt off the lot. Would appreciate any suggestions from our experienced AS friends.
Thanks,
Gail
Gail,
You might want to consider this as well..
When you're out with your unit and, getting ready to hook-up the sewer system. For safety, always carry gloves of some kind (leather type works well) when handling the sewer hoses, etc.
I'd also recommend that you carry a spray bottle containing clorex/bleach and, latex gloves to keep the area sanitized. I always change to the latex before handling the fresh water "white hose" and, spray the faust area before connecting up. You just never know if one of man's little critter has used it for a "watering post"..lol
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:44 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is a VERY good point!

We carry latex disposable gloves, but I very much like the bleach in a sprayer idea. After all, not all folks that use facilities are neat about it, besides issues with it being used as a bathroom.

Kind of off topic, but another area where we bring dow bathroom cleaner is when we go to the shower houses at campgrounds. People look at me like I'm nuts...and they'd be right, however, I still spray down the stall cause just like the sewer hose and dump areas....you just never know.

Eric
Old 04-21-2004, 07:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Gail,
You might want to consider this as well..
When you're out with your unit and, getting ready to hook-up the sewer system. For safety, always carry gloves of some kind (leather type works well) when handling the sewer hoses, etc.
I'd also recommend that you carry a spray bottle containing clorex/bleach and, latex gloves to keep the area sanitized. I always change to the latex before handling the fresh water "white hose" and, spray the faust area before connecting up. You just never know if one of man's little critter has used it for a "watering post"..lol
ciao
53FC
This is an excellent sugestion to all, regarding the clorex/bleach. Being a registered nurse I see patients in the hospital with stomach viruses and dehydration all the time due to poor hand washing technique and exposure to viruses and bacteria in our environment. Bleach kills everything. Bacteria lives off body fluids, then you have the black holding tank and what do you have? A major breeding ground, iewwwwwwwwwwwwww. No sickness allowed while ASing. Stay healthy and use your bleach.

Thanks 53FC, another good tip from NH.

No Eric, you are not nuts!!!

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
Old 04-21-2004, 07:46 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I carry disposable clear plastic glove for sewer line handling. I also carry a plastic can of the anti-bacterial wipes which I use after I'm done.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
That is a VERY good point!

...People look at me like I'm nuts...and they'd be right, however, I still spray down the stall cause just like the sewer hose and dump areas....you just never know.

Eric
And if you forget your shampoo, then you have something that will work...
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 AM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Latex disposable gloves should be standard supples when doing the dump thing, but be careful...alot of people have allergies to latex. This is especially a problem for nurses who have these things on and off all day/night. My wife is an expert in this field. Vynl might be an option.

Jonathan
Old 04-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohne
And if you forget your shampoo, then you have something that will work...
Now that I've grown my hair back from the military look I use to have....you're right, I'm gonna need somethin'!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:19 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
While you're out shopping...

get a foam knee pad - check the garden section. You may have to kneel on damp surfaces at dump stations.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Janet's right about the foam pad. We have a skinny, long one for kneeling, and a square one for sitting that's a little easier to kneel on. Useful not only when hooking up the sewer, but when down working in the electrical compartment, hooking up the phone or cable, hooking up the city water connection, and when down tightening the lug nuts or airing up the tires. Sure saves the pants knees!

I also tried the knee pads you strap on, but the pad is just quicker to use.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I use the sewer solution ( http://www.sewersolution.com/ ) for hookup camping, and the slinky for dumping after dry camping. I take one or the other, rarely both. The sewer solution stores easily in teh back bumper compartment, I keep it in a trash bag, away from the power cable etc.
I like the sewer solution because you don't need hose suports, and it's very easy to store. I bought an extension hose for it, and it even works up hill, when dumping the black tank.
I do believe that every once in a while, a good flush with the large diameter hose is important. The tank flushes faster, with less chance for deposits.
I had my sewer solition over a year now,and it seems to be a good quality product, just like they promised.