Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Hose for gray water to sewer hookup??

Is there a way to have the gray water go to the sewer? (Hubby doesn't want to horse around with a blue tank) I think we would most always have a sewer hook-up and was hoping there is a way to put the gray water into the sewer. I was thinking of two hoses and a "Y" type connecter for both the blk, and gray tanks to hook into the sewer. If something can be done it would widen our search possibilities for an A/S
Thanks for any input, suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If you are still looking for "your" trailer suz, you may want to focus on 73 or newer. They all should have grey water tanks. It's the older ones that don't.

Even the way our '64 is, if you are hooked-up to sewer, the grey water is hooked-up up too. There is a "Y" in the sewer connection after the black water release-valve. The only time we use the blue belly is when we are not hooked up to sewer...make sense?

On the right in the picture below, you can see the "Y" for the grey water where it joins into the sewer connection. The black water portion is to the left with the dump valve out of view. Hope this helps...

Shari
Attached Images

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Many rv'ers carry rolling portable tanks also. These are easily attached, and then detached and dumped when you need to. I saw quite a few in use at a large state park recently, by folks who were staying long term, as the park had no sewer hook ups.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:27 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You usually cannot do that because when you'd open the cap, you'd have wastewater flying out even if gravity would allow you to dump the grey water into the black tank.

Our 70's Lark, by Travel Equipment Corp had a similar setup. Grey water automatically dumps out the dump area, while black water was contained. The problem was that the grey outlet point was lower than the black tank and in most cases would backup into the grey sink areas.

It was far more messy a proposal than getting an external tank.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
This is great to have support. And even though I posted to the wrong place (general repairs- cuz I didn't see plumbing until after the post) my Q got here any way. Shari, did you do that?
The gray plumbed into the outlet looks like 1 way to do it. Having the "poop shoot" back up the gray drain is NOT a cool. You would think there would be a valve to close that off to eliminate back up.
I was actually thinking of a "Y" coming out of the sewer and a blk. hose and a gray hose connecting that way. It would look sort of strange but would get the job done? Maybe. I think. I'll probably regret this post. LOL

Many Thanks,

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 03-10-2003, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
THAT would be awful!

Quote:
Having the "poop shoot" back up the gray drain is NOT cool. You would think there would be a valve to close that off to eliminate back up.
We've never had a problem with the black water backing up into the grey water shoot...I think the angle and elevation help keep that from happening. Although I have heard of this happening somewhere...

Shari

BTW Glad this thread found it's rightful home
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Suz!

If I am understanding your post correctly, you haven't found your Airstream; but are concerned about managing gray water without the inconvenience of a portable blue tank. There is an alternative depending upon the Vintage of the Coach and the placement of the black water tank. The precise years to which this method would apply isn't entirely clear, but if the black tank is mounted below the floor it should work - - this is a method suggested in the paperwork that came with my '64 Overlander.

The gray water can be backed up into the black water tank by placing a standard termination cap on the dump valve and opening the gate valve - - the gray water will then back up into the black water tank. This process is for short term only as the black tank is generally quite small (in the case of my Overlander only about 8 gallons). There are two times when this can pose a problem - - it always creates a problem when it comes time to dump the black water tank (the gate valve must be closed, then a bucket placed under the terminator cap, remove the terminator cap and be prepared for about 1/2 gallon of waste that is trapped between gate valve and terminator cap to rush out; finally connect sewer hose and dump as usual) - - the second problem can arise if the tank is allowed to overfill - - this nasty mixture may backup throughout the drain system. It is a possible solution, but it will require close monitoring.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Shari, I remember hearing the back up problem before too - from Kevin perhaps? And Kevin, I had no idea the holding tanks were so small! Well, one becomes resourceful. I've camped before, tent and MH, so I'm not a total stranger to water conservation in that respect.
Eric, how many times did you put up with the poop shoot backing up? It would have been exactly 1 for me! eeewww!!!

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 03-10-2003, 11:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Yes Kevin, you are on target. What I really want is an A/S with wood and all the tanks !!! Yeah, I know..... the impossible dream. We do not want a resto either. Realistically, a later model ('73-'78) would be best. I know we'll find one with all the help we're getting from the forums. ; )

Thanks,
suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 03-11-2003, 07:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I did have a backup through the gray water system, but it wasn't when the system was set to back up into the black water tank. Thankfully, I heeded the handwritten instructions in the margins of my original documentation and carefully watched the level of the black tank and avoided that problem. My gray water backup occurred at the WBCCI International Rally in Dayton, OH. I was three trailers from the bottom of a "gentle slope" and as it turned out the gray water collection drain for our row was higher than my trailer which meant that all of the gray water from our row began backing up in my trailer - - nearly filled my bathub before I realized what was happening - - quickly disconnected the gray water hose to allow my plumbing to drain before my trailer flooded. For some strange reason, the two trailers parked below me that had only showers didn't experience any backup - - I would have had a nasty mess had my trailer been equipped with a shower rather than a tub.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Using a Blue Tank

We frequently camp at sites with no sewer hookups. Managing grey water with a portable tank is not much of a hassle to me. If the campground has decent showers, and we use them, we usually don't have much more than 5 gallons of grey water per day. However, if we desire to shower inside our trailer, even a quick shower can generate about 5-15 gallons of grey water, depending on what your definintion of "quick" is! So, after the previous evenings dishes and clean up, next days breakfast and cleanup, then the wifes shower, we have a full 22 gallon grey tank. I'll take my shower after it is dumped, either in our AS, or I'll use the campgrounds showers, and the cycle begins again. Even if you had a 40 gallon grey tank installed, and were staying for 2 days or more, you would still need a "Blue Tank", to drain your inhouse grey tank, IF you filled it with 20 or more gallons a day, unless you decided to move the whole rig to the dump station. Often times, I will roll the tank to a full hookup site and ask the occupants if I can remove their hose for a minute or two, so I can dump the tank. Most of the time this is a lot closer then going all the way to the dump station.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:44 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Be careful while you're shopping. Not all '73's have grey tanks...I'd venture to guess that MOST do NOT. It was an *option* on some of the higher-end models in '73. My 73 has no grey tank. And I've had small but unpleasant backups while draining the black tank...a little bit managed to find its way up into the shower a couple of times. ( I think they really should've put a stop-valve on the grey output to prevent this...but probably more people would have caused themselves a grey-water backup situation instead, by forgetting to open it before running any water.... ).

My understanding is that everything after 74 has both tanks.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Chuck,
I was not aware of the ' 73 "tank option". I've been told prior to '73 there were no gray tanks and assumed '73 and after they all did. This is a very good thing to know.
Say, are these tanks metal or fiberglass? If metal, rusting could/would be a problem at some point?

Thanks to all
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500