Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Dump hose - jack in the box

OMG...folks, i simply cannot shove that 25ft dump hose into the hose storage tube!!!! I'm making sure it is fully collapsed as i feed it in...there is about a foot left over...and i haven't even gone on a trip yet. I'm sure my neighbors are laughing at me while i'm on the ground struggling with that thing....any tips?
ps. It is a Thetford Titian.....did i get the cheap one that's hard to collapse? Do y'all have a good one to recommend for my Sport 16?
Franchesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
My sewer hose is in two 10 ft sections. Only one section goes on the storage tube.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchesca View Post
OMG...folks, i simply cannot shove that 25ft dump hose into the hose storage tube!!!! I'm making sure it is fully collapsed as i feed it in...there is about a foot left over...and i haven't even gone on a trip yet. I'm sure my neighbors are laughing at me while i'm on the ground struggling with that thing....any tips?
ps. It is a Thetford Titian.....did i get the cheap one that's hard to collapse? Do y'all have a good one to recommend for my Sport 16?
Cut it down to a size that will fit

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
If you cut it, make certain that the fitting will go back on. I store mine in the box on the back fender.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If yours is the 20ft that is in two separable sections, it collapses to 8' 8" which is too long. The 20 foot single should collapse to 6 feet which should fit as your tube is about 7' 6". Measure yours collapsed compared to your tube.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I read up on tht hose, people say it doesn’t collapse well...going to get a shorter ine
Franchesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Hi,

Beware the under trailer storage tube. We stopped for fuel once in Arizona and the card reader at the rv pump wasn't working, so I went inside. On the way back out I noticed the tube was swaying up and down under the trailer in the wind. I filled up and moved to the side of the parking area for a look. The tube had one screw missing, the plastic ear had broken off the other side with the screw remaining and the two screws in the middle position just fine. I put down the front door mat grabbed the 1/4" drive ratchet and proceeded to remove the tube. These tubes are held on by a large self tapping sheet metal screw that just goes in the belly pan. It is not attached to anything really solid for support. The tube went into the truck bed. Later when we stopped to visit friends at Lazy Days in Tuscon, I picked up some silicone and sealed all the holes from the screws. (perhaps rivnuts would help)

I didn't keep my hoses in there anyway since they don't fit very well. I use a sportsman trunk from Bass Pro that costs about $15. Keeps two 10' hoses and all attachments at the ready. I can drop the trunk on the ground when dumping and everything is convenient. At a campsite it slides easily under the Airstream for storage while camping. I use the rear bumper storage for the extra 20 foot hose in case of length or emergencies. Some might say what about any smell? I rinse the hoses after every dump and then when home I put a triple shot of Mr. Clean in the sportsman trunk and fill with water and let all the hoses and attachments soak for a few hours with some occasional agitation. A rinse and then let them hang from a tree branch to dry. Been using this method for a couple of years. No problems.

Always a good thing to give the rig a once over look each time you walk up to it. If I hadn't caught the tube hanging in the breeze, who knows what damage might have happened when it finally broke free.

later, stay safe
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I only use a 10’ hose only once was that a problem.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Sewer Hose

We store a 10ft section of sewer hose in the belly storage and a 15ft section in the bumper storage, along with the necessary accessories.

This combo has worked well enough to abandon our Sewer Solution, which couldn't be stored in either location. (We didn't like storing the Sewer Solution in the onboard storage areas, so it requires a dedicated bin storage.)
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchesca View Post
OMG...folks, i simply cannot shove that 25ft dump hose into the hose storage tube!!!! It is a Thetford Titian.....did i get the cheap one that's hard to collapse?
Sadly, you got the expensive one that doesn't work very well. I bought the same one, it looked great.....until about the second use it refused to collapse back together. I hated it so much I left it at a dump station hoping someone could use it.
Then I replaced it with the Rhino Flex from Camco(?). It's been, well maybe not a joy, but light years ahead of the Titan. I think you'll find many folks here use the same. I got the kit comprised of two 10' sections and end fittings. I'm very happy.
Since I keep mine in the bumper storage, I made a fixture out of 1/2" PVC to keep the sections stored collapsed. One end just screws off.

While writing this I realized how easy it would be to use the included end caps with the PVC, just make the hole large enough to pass the joint where it screws on, Or have the screw fitting outside the cap! Then store it in the tube perfectly collapsed!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Agree with the bumper storage. I think my original hose is still in that tube. Never opened it. I actually have 2 tubes in the bumper and the awning puller.
It gets dirty back there anyway so put something dirty in it.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Agree with the bumper storage. I think my original hose is still in that tube. Never opened it.
That's funny. I've had my AS for 2 1/2 years and never opened the tube. I assumed it's empty, but these threads make me want to look. If there's one in there, I'd leave it because I'm sure it's a cheapy. I'll stay with the Rinoflex.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Livermore , California
I replaced the storage tube with this one, expanded to fit a 15' and 10' hose together: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA0K9YR
MotoMannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Get a longer tube .
Ol Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I went with a Sewer Solution on my '58 18' Traveler. The hose is much smaller and I can stack 3 lengths in my vintage tube. Better part is that since you use water pressure it comes out clean when storing. May not be for everyone but works well for me on both the AS and Motorhome.
I do have a length of the stinky slinky that I keep in my truck just in case.
https://www.valterra.com/product/sew...-system-boxed/
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Sadly, you got the expensive one that doesn't work very well. I bought the same one, it looked great.....until about the second use it refused to collapse back together. I hated it so much I left it at a dump station hoping someone could use it.
Then I replaced it with the Rhino Flex from Camco(?). It's been, well maybe not a joy, but light years ahead of the Titan. I think you'll find many folks here use the same. I got the kit comprised of two 10' sections and end fittings. I'm very happy.
Since I keep mine in the bumper storage, I made a fixture out of 1/2" PVC to keep the sections stored collapsed. One end just screws off.

While writing this I realized how easy it would be to use the included end caps with the PVC, just make the hole large enough to pass the joint where it screws on, Or have the screw fitting outside the cap! Then store it in the tube perfectly collapsed!
+1 On the Rhino hose. I have 2 10’ sections and store in the bumper. This product makes an unpleasant task easier. Like others I have never opened up the storage tube on either of my AS’s. I guess I ought to look?😀
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote