Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Smile Can't open waste tank valve - 71 Safari

I'm new to this forum and to Airstreams. I recently purchased a 71 Safari that had not been on the road for over 14 years. Gradually I am getting things cleaned up and working. When I tried to empty the waste tank I was unable to pull out the handle that opens the valve to empty the tank. The owner's manual shows an upright handle in the back bumper compartment that is pulled straight up. My valve is on the outside of the camper on the left side behind the back bumper and pulls back rather than up. The valve seems to be stuck and nothing so far allows me to pull this valve out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum. I also have a 71 Safari, and my handle is similar. In my case, the valve did not seal correctly, so I had it replaced. Yours is obviously frozen up. Not sure what else is in your black tank, but if it is empty you might be able to pour something down into the tank to loosen it up. I recently saw something that had cocunut oil in it, believe it or not, to keep the valves lubricated. Not sure what else to try. Maybe Andy at Inland RV would have a suggestion.

john
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Hi John,

Thanks for the answer. I don't know what was in the black tank when I purchased it but I filled it up with fresh water before I attempted to dump it so I would get a good flush. Do you think if I tried to remove the toilet I might get access to the sliding door or whatever the opens the tank?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
I don't think so. You might consider is cutting away the belly pan where it curves up around where the handle goes through it. That is going to have to be removed to replace the valve anyway, which you are undoubtedly going to have to do. One reason I had the dealer do mine, although it doesn't look that tough if you have a way to re-rivet the new piece on. With that out of the way (do it cleanly), you will be able to access the valve and mechanism. Maybe you can see what is frozen up and free it. Hopefully one of those more experienced will jump in and have some advice also.

john
Old 08-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
John is correct. You cannot get access from removing the toilet.

I would remove the sewer cap and spray some silicone spray up around the valve and soak it pretty good. Also spray around where the handle goes into the rear skin wrap.

Maybe you can free it up that way.

Luckily my valve has been fine. It may have been replace before I got it because under and around the valve is a patch of aluminum that is held on with screws and vulkem. I assumed they were all that way, but if John had to cut his maybe mine was and patched as well.

If you can't free it up your access is going to be through the belly pan.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Tim & John,

Thanks for your help. I soaked all the parts I could get to with silicone spray the last few days but still could not open the black tank valve. I finally decided today to use a claw hammer and a piece of board to try putting more pressure while pulling the valve handle. It finally moved bit by bit until if was fully open. I sprayed again with silicone and everything is working fine. Sure am glad I didn't have to cut open the belly pan. Now onto figuring out why the air conditioner doesn't work.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Hey that's great Larry!

Glad it worked out for ya.

Good luck with the a/c
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Larry,
Plse check your PM message..
Greetings Tim`
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
I had a stuck drain valve several years ago. I read somewhere to leave the drain valves open during storage and between trips. I've been doing that and they always work freely when I use them.

Ben
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote