Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
Fresh Water Tank Removal

I have a leaky water tank in a 73' Argosy. She has a front dinette with the front water tank, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help make the tank removal go smoothly?
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
It's not all that hard but it's not much fun either.
First you will have to remove all of the aluminum sheeting that covers the tank. Expect to break a lot of screws off, they all all going to be rusted. Remove all water and electrical lines from the tank. You should be able to do this from inside the trailer.
After that; get a floor jack under the trailer to lift the plywood tank support. With all of the screws out you should be able to slide the plywood out. If this plywood is old you will have to replace it. Once the plywood is out the tank will just fall out on the ground.
Get that plastic welding kit you got from Harbor Freight and go to work on the tank. If the tank is too far gone you'll have to replace it.
Good luck!
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy and the fresh water tank sets above the floor across the front of the trailer. My unit originally had a gaucho, which had to be removed to get to the tank. But once the gaucho was out of the way the tank was just setting there.
In looking at your photos, I believe your tank is located under the box (or step) that is below the dinette table. It's probably 30 gallon like the one in my trailer.
Have you determined where it is leaking from?
Is the floor inside getting wet?
Have you checked the fittings where the tank line to the pump goes?
Have you checked to see if the drain line for the tank has a leak?
If the floor is not wet. How do you know the tank is leaking?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Refer vent

The refer vent should be inside the cabinet door that is above the counter top. It is plastic and only goes from the counter surface up. There should be a roof vent above this area on the outside of the trailer. I think I see the roof vent just behind the door and above the awning.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome and howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stork View Post
I have a leaky water tank in a 73' Argosy. She has a front dinette with the front water tank, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help make the tank removal go smoothly?
We're pleased to see you've joined the Airstream forum! You have come to the right place to ask any and all questions about your Argosy.

We look forward to seeing some photos of your trailer, and helping you to bring it up to snuff.

I have a question: you mention in your first post that your unit is a '73, but your profile mentions that you have a '72. Which is it?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
OOoooops! It is a 73'

I joined the site before I got the trailer home...The people I bought it from advertised it as a 72' so when I joined I thought it was a 72...guess I never changed my profile.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
The floor does get wet...I suspect the problem is at the fill tube, but not sure how one can check that without basically removing the dinette first. And yes it's above the floor across the front of the trailer.

It's -30 and she's behind a 5 foot snow pile right now so it will be a month before I can really take a good looksy at how to best approach the problem...First priority is to replace the black water valve that the previous owner made a mess of!

Tags
1973, argosy, fresh water, remove, water tank, leaks