Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Zip Dee support arm stuck

Unrolled awning after removing duct tape from arms. Pulled the pin to extend arms/raise awning and arms are stuck in the tube. The support arms extended freely. Having already broken some things by using force, decided to come here for advice. Am I missing something other than pulling the locking pins? Used slight pressure to pull, but neither side would budge. Good news is is that fabric looks great with only mild mildew after being rolled up for eight years. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
Unrolled awning after removing duct tape from arms. Pulled the pin to extend arms/raise awning and arms are stuck in the tube. The support arms extended freely. Having already broken some things by using force, decided to come here for advice. Am I missing something other than pulling the locking pins? Used slight pressure to pull, but neither side would budge. Good news is is that fabric looks great with only mild mildew after being rolled up for eight years. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Jack

When I was at the Sarasota Rally I watched the Zip Dee mechanic use silicone spray. He made sure the AS owner knew he was to use pure silicone, no additives. I would spray it and leave it to work then try to move it. If no go contact Zip Dee, they seem to have good service ethics.

I hope this is of some help.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Good advice airdreamers, we had our awnings installed at Zip Dee and that is what they told us. to use silicone once each month on all moving parts.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree...give the silicone spray a try before more drastic measures...we lubricate our ZipDee arms regularly because they do get "sticky" over time...it really works!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Is it wrong to go out in the dark to work on your Airstream? Sprayed silicone down each arm. More silicone came out than went down the tube. They are a tight fit. Resprayed this morning and still very little is actually going down the arm. Will probably call Zip Dee. Will let you all know what happens. Thanks. Jack
Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
My arm is stuck too, and still can not seem to free it!I used wd40, should I just buy a new arm or is there a hope it will come free?
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
If the Zip Dee arms are "stuck" it usually means corrosion, which would be rare, or. bent arms.

If the arms are bent, they can, within reason, be straightened.

If the straigtening routine doesn't correct the problem, then the only recourse, is replacing the arm.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
My Zip Dee arms were hard to adjust as well ... however, I found these videos on You Tube and just doing what was shown fixed the problem completely. That is if you have a bent arm. There are several videos out there. A must watch for Airstream owners with Zip Dee awnings.

TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Spoke with Zip Dee. First try to spray with silicone. WD40 attracts grease/dirt. If that fails, then he suggested to remove arm from awning where more "force" can be used to try and separate the arms. The power of the spring is in the left (rear) arm. The uncoil action can cause some serious harm to person and camper. Will have to think about this one and get some more advice. Will update with more. Did give the arm a gentle whack with a rubber hammer to see if that could loosen up the corrosion.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have used aerosol Teflon mold release for lubricating some items that you don't want oil residue on. This might work, as it is a dry coating.

If you can't find it at a hardware store, check hobby shops. It is also used as a candle mold release agent.

Hmmmm, wonder if this would work on the toilet flap...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I have to slightly push the arm away to extend mine. There is an angle issue which jams the mechanism. Don't see why but there is with mine.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
WARNING...DANGER....DANGER! Even though I knew to unwind the left arm to take tension on the spring before removal I did NOT unwind it enough. The result was not pretty. Do not have to worry about "new car's first dent". The spinning end of the awning flew to the ground after putting a nasty gash on my left wrist and then placed three dents along the bottom of the camper. Thought the spinning and bumping and crying would never stop! And I knew better. At least I got one support arm working. More on this later. Stupid Jack
Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Arm helpers....

Ran into the sticking problem several Seasons ago, learned the lesson...
Keep 'em lubed!!!

Got a pair of these from the AS Store, they help a lot, easier up and down action and prevent those NASTY skin pinches which can ruin your day!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Holy cow, Jack - what a rude awakening. I think we are all feeling your pain.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Our ZipDee arms were stuck also when we purchased out AS. I used PB Blaster first and sprayed it in the top till it came out the bottom.They loosened up in a few days. Then I used the Silicon Spray. I spray em a couple of times a yr.No problems since.
GOOD LUCK
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
I will have alot of pictures. The solid aluminum arm was bent near the top. A good 1/2 inch bend. I now know how to straighten the bend...I hope. This bend caused it to be wedged into the receiver arm. Eight years of dried white lithium grease, sand, dirt and corrosion welded them together. Took them off the AS and forced them apart using a piece of rebar and a hammer. Slow going, but eventually worked them free. The crud and corrosion are now history. Will bend it back and silicone it throughly. Had left PB on it for two days. The crud did not allow it to pass to the blockage. Thanks. Jack
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
OK, need some more help. Tried to bend arms back straight like in the Zip Dee video. Succeeded in putting a bigger bend in the hollow tube. My thinking is to go to a metal work shop that has a large vise to see if they can straighten the bends in it and the solid aluminum arm. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Jack
Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Skamper,
I had a bend in one of my tubes. I simply put it in a shop vise on my work bench and used a helper bar (hollow fence post to slide over the tube and give you leverage that can be applied gently). The trick is to do it slowly and in small increments until you have it straight. Taking it out of the vise after each adjustment and laying it on the flat floor to see where your bow is helps to see how close you are to straight. When it lays flat on all 4 sides it should slide easily.
I had seen the video and didn't think much of the 'whacking it on the ground' adjustment plan.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If the bend is too great, you need to replace the arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BentArm.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	98362  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Just left metal work shop with large vises. Still could not get the solid bar to straighten. May have another go at it, but right now am contacting Zip Dee to see how much to replace. Can see where bends in both arms were probably due to leaving the awning up in high winds. Will let you all know. Thanks. Jack