Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
1966 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Smile Newbie Here / Success with Removall220

Hey folks, its my first post.

My wife and I found a 1969 27Ft Overlander, and we are super excited about it!

It had been sitting for about 8 years, and was definitely in need of some attention.

It was badly oxidized, and I have been reading lots of posts on why the oxidation occurs, and having to do with the clear coat, so I thought Id give stripping the clear coat a try.

Id say over all, it was DEFINITELY worth it, and only took two days, and a little over a gallon of Removall 220.

It looks like a completely different trailer, and I plan on giving it another go over with Removal 220, and possibly Citristrip.

I did discover that the end cap on the hitch side was a lot more difficult to remove the clear coat. (I think I have read that on other posts).

It came with dingy carpet, installed sometime in the 80's, I ripped it all out, and found underneath the foam, was the original low pile carpet, Im assuming that came stock with the trailer.

Sub floors are in decent shape, and we will be installing cork flooring.

Here is a the album of pics, lots of before and after, and during.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1145326...eat=directlink

Very happy about this website, and all the help everyone offers!!!

Please contact me if you are around the San Diego area, would love to actually find someone in person that knows about Airstreams, that could tell me what I have.

EM
ericmilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi ,
just use for the first time the " famous" Remove'all 220 and really, doesn't worth the price.... it Works as a classic Home depot stripper on old clear coat but doesn't on recent clearcoat when a new aluminum panel is on the trailer.

i've bought it because the new clearcoatt was too much resistant with other strippers but the remove all 220 is not better.... and for the astronomic price I've paid ( $100 for 1 gallon... shipping cost inclused from Vintage trailer supply to France ), it's really not a deal !!!!

my advice : try a classic stripper before "investing" in the not-miraculous Remove all 220....
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Florence , South Carolina
Auto zone aircraft paint stripper for $30.00 about 1 can should do unless you knock over your container like I did twice. Will strip a 31 footer no problem. Work smarter not harder
chrischarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Front Window

Do you have a close up of the front window? It is basicly well taken care of on the inside, aside from age. We have the same layout and love it.
Ewemama
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Citristrip

AAAA++++
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
1966 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EweMama View Post
Do you have a close up of the front window? It is basicly well taken care of on the inside, aside from age. We have the same layout and love it.
Ewemama
Sorry EweMama, all the pics I have are in that above link, but Ill be installing cork flooring, and upholstery re-do almost complete, so Ill be posting alot more soon.

As soon as those two projects are complete, we will be using ASAP!!!
ericmilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
... and to continue my experience with "Remove all 220 " , it lets matt marks on the place where the stripper pours.... polishing again is necessary to erase them !

Really not a good product and I don't understand why dealer as Vintage trailer supply can advice this as the best stripper for Airstream clearcoats.... the result is disastrous !

Sure it was my last purchase there....

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote