Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Warranty Repairs done by owner. By Choice.

This post is about warranty repairs done by the owner by choice for their own reasons. In my case it is easier to fix something minor than take the unit an hour and half each way to have minor work performed. My dealer would of fixed these items with no issues I chose to do the work myself. This is not a slam. Hopefully new owners will find some tips to save some time. What is minor to me may not be to you.

1. Atwood Hot water heater heating water then throwing error light.
Solution: Contacted Atwood customer service and discussed problem. diagnosed as a bad t-stat. Atwood sent new stat and I changed it out, found a video on how to trouble shoot the heater. Time 2 hours total with phone calls. Outcome heater works correctly. Good customer service.

2. Barker tongue jack. Jack would just quick working, had to use a bottle jack to unhitch. If limit switches were tripped fuse would blow. 30 Amp slow blow fuse. Contacted Barker customer service first diagnosed as a bad switch. Barker sent new switch, still same issue. I felt it was one of the micro switches which control the limit tech disagreed, nothing left to check. Solution Barker shipped replacement jack. Total time calls and trouble shooting 3 hrs. BTW the tech was very nice and a good guy. Good customer service.

3. Windows sticking. Sales person said to run olive oil around the gaskets. I thought that was a waste of good olive oil so I applied a couple of coats of silicon by spraying a cloth then wiping gaskets. Sticking gone. I guess I could have used Pam olive oil spray. Time. 15 min.

4. Knobs on windows turn and slip off openers when trying to open windows. First attempt was to acquire the set screws which were missing. Installing the set screws and putting pressure on them push out the molded in set screw nut. Solution five minute epoxy applied to handle and knob, vast improvement. Time 10 min.

6. Lower frame section on window in bathroom door came off. Installed with double back tape. Solution remove old tape clean up and apply new tape.
Time 10 min

7.Corrosion. This being my 3rd Airstream and my second new unit I had an idea what might start showing corrosion and where to look. Before I closed the deal I had all 4 wheels replaced by Airstream as they were already showing corrosion. When I got the unit home I cleaned the new wheels and clear coated them, I also clear coated door hings, latch, tail light mounts and may do a few more areas. I used automotive clear coat the same I us to make spot repairs on my cars. Time 3 hrs.

All in all I haven't really found much to complain with this unit so far. Most of the equipment in the trailer is warranted by the OEM and a call to their customer service department seems to get results. I guess not having to pay an RV tech to do the work benefits them.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Makes sense.

Tire talc works better on the window seals than silicone. I've tried both.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Makes sense.

Good tip, thanks.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Makes sense.

Even Airstream tech recommends silicone spray. I tried it for two years, and some of the windows stuck.

I've got tire talc, and will give it a try.

Many thanks!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My dealer service is so lousy I do my own fixing as well. Unless it's really major, then off on a trip that includes Jackson Center, OH.

About six months left on warranty, this Airstream is a huge step up in detailing and build quality from my 2007 (which was also very good) so only very little tinkering needed. I am vigilant on preventive maintenance, regular inspections and corrosion treatment though.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Tire talc? Enlightenment , please!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
My husband and I did our own warranty work also. The dealer is 3 hours away and we don't like them anyway. The only work we didn't do was the vent fan in the bathroom. Airstream wouldn't send us the part and told us we needed to have a dealer do it. We took it to a dealer near where we were going to be camping.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I would probably do my own warranty work, also (if my '61 was still under warranty).

There is a downside to this, however.

Airstream never hears about all those things you fix, therefore all those things must be coming out of the factory in "perfect condition". And since they are "perfect" there is no reason for improvement. That might even be a good place to cut to hold down costs.

Customer feedback is a great motivator and having to repair their own work, no charge to the customer, is an even greater motivator.

It is a good thing to let them know of any and all problems and quality control issues.

And it is a hassle to go to the dealer for every little thing!
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
303 Aerospace works well. Dries and doesn't attract dirt AND has UV inhibitors. I have only applied once, back in 2010. None have stuck since.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have done all repairs to our trailer with the exception of a final black tank sensor I had replaced by Colonial (an excellent service department if I may say so). I even risked divorce when I decided to disassemble our 6 month old trailer to get at a faulty wiring harness because I wanted to be certain of the outcome... Most of the repairs have revolved around faulty components in the trailer and have nothing to do with the quality of Airstreams build. Even the harness repair was not Airstreams fault as they sub contract that item.
The reality is I like taking things apart and reassembling them so I just do it all myself.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	181971   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-558623341.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	181972  

Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I would probably do my own warranty work, also (if my '61 was still under warranty).

There is a downside to this, however.

Airstream never hears about all those things you fix, therefore all those things must be coming out of the factory in "perfect condition". And since they are "perfect" there is no reason for improvement. That might even be a good place to cut to hold down costs.

Customer feedback is a great motivator and having to repair their own work, no charge to the customer, is an even greater motivator.

It is a good thing to let them know of any and all problems and quality control issues.

And it is a hassle to go to the dealer for every little thing!
Sam
Airstream knew about our problems because we called them and explained our issues. They sent us the parts to fix what we needed to fix.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote