Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2020, 08:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Food for thought:
IF you repair the holes with toothpicks, bamboo skewers, or golf tees, the screw will be reattached to end grain, meaning with the grain. (Picture a nail hammered into the end of a 2 X 4, it pulls out more easily than a nail into the side of a 2 X 4, across the grain) So your repair will be weaker than the original. If you want to do that correctly, you should use a "plug", sold for woodworkers. Enlarge the hole to the plug size, then you'll be putting the wood screw into the cross grain.
That's why I prefer the threaded inserts. They come in two shapes, one with continuous threads for hardwood, and the one with "wings" for softwood, and plywood. I've used both, they're easy to install, and hold tight.
If you have access to the other side, consider a T-nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81x9eKE2eAL._AC_SX355_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	374504  
Attached Images

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
fill the wholes with 2 part epoxy.

i use west system 105/206 mix

after 24 hours, pre-drill the hole for the size of the screw

the epoxy is stronger than the wood
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
As someone that owns a 110+ year old house I've encountered more than a few stripped screws in wood, the best solution I have found has been "Woodmate 2498 Mr. Grip Screw Hole Repair Kit" which you can buy on Amazon. I never had good luck with the toothpicks or other options, as I'm usually not wanting to wait around for glue to try to finish the repair. These just slide in and grip solidly, they have held 30" solid wood in my house that get daily use without issue, a lot more strain than a cabinet door.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Remove the screws, and glue in some pieces of toothpicks. After it dries you can screw it back together.
What he said plus I use Kitchen matches, squirt glue in the hole first and force the match stem in after to seal the hole. screw the hinge back right away. The wood is soft enough to compress when the screw is inserted but be ready to wipe away any glue that squeezes out.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lansdale , Pennsylvania
Use dowels and wood glue to provide new wood to screw into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
What he said plus I use Kitchen matches, squirt glue in the hole first and force the match stem in after to seal the hole. screw the hinge back right away. The wood is soft enough to compress when the screw is inserted but be ready to wipe away any glue that squeezes out.
tommym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeda14 View Post
This thread inspired me to fix my sink cabinet doors. Pics show the inserts and socket head cap screws used.
That's setup I used. Perfect
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
fill the wholes with 2 part epoxy.

i use west system 105/206 mix

after 24 hours, pre-drill the hole for the size of the screw

the epoxy is stronger than the wood
WEST is a very versatile system, and good to have around.They have dry filler materials to blend in, so that the mix does not sag easily, for holes in vertical surfaces. Mask off area with blue tape, and put blue tape over the filler material, to minimize sanding after hardening. Short bits of wood [matches] can also help fill the gap.

No need for fancy store-bought metal solutions IMO.

KISS

As Wally was known to say, "Go WEST, young 'uns!"

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No waiting. instant satisfaction?

I've used the toothpick method for years, yeah, the 'tube'.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
I use JB Weld Kwikwood. This is an epoxy putty product you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. You slice off a bit, kneed it with your fingers to mix the two types of putty, roll a small amount of the putty into a piece the size of the screw, and using your fingers cram it into the hole, maybe using a toothpick to poke it down in the hole and pack the hole. Using the screw, make a small dimple where the screw hole is (where you will start the screw). Let it cure for an hour or longer. Then screw in your screw.

I've done the toothpick and glue thing for some things, like the fastener that holds a drawer shut. But for a hinge that has a lot of stress on it Kwikwood works real well.

Steve
X2. JB Kwikwood has been my go-to since I discovered it.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote