Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Burlington , WA
1975 Sovereign Stripped Out Hinge Screws

Hi,

Earlier today I opened the door of my trailer and noticed that it seemed to be binding a little bit. Upon looking closer, the hinges were slightly loose where they mount to the body. I tried tightening the screws but two wouldn't tighten at all, and two would not loosen at all. So, I was able to get one screw out, and then went to the hardware store to get 4 new marine grade stainless 1/4"-20 machine screws.

After I got home, I tried running a tap into the hole to clean the threads. At first it went in smooth but eventually is was just loose and spinning. Obviously something is not right in the holes for the hinge screws. Has anyone had this issue and have any ideas of what I should do next?

1975 Airstream International Sovereign 31'
thefraze1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The screws have nuts on them and then smeared with sealant. The only access is behind the interior panels. You can drill large holes in the panel for access. It's a poor design.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I just did mine a month or so ago. I removed the trim that goes around the door frame inside. I measured and drilled the holes to access the nuts, but found they had so much sealant on them that removal through such a small hole was gonna be nearly impossible. I ended up cutting a larger access hole. I just made sure it was long and narrow so the trim would cover it up.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign