Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2020, 11:12 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
At the risk of thread drift....

I installed the RO water system to pull the water from the intake of the Airstream water pressure pump and return the brine to the fill neck of the fresh water tank. This means that I can't ever let the fresh water tank get below about 1/4 full and that I have to use the water in the tank to keep it refreshed. Thus, no wasted water in this system and only a little added inconvenience in managing the water tank. Not really a problem for us as the built-in water pressure regulator provides poor water pressure compared to the water pump so we tend to use the water tank.

Airstreams issue was the extra water line going to the RO faucet mounted on the corner of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
RO stands for “Reverse Osmosis”. They are systems that use water pressure to force water through a membrane that lets water molecules through whilst blocking out larger molecules such as lead, other contaminants and basically produce very clean water.

They typically have several filter cartridges before the membrane to get gross contamination out of the water, then the output of the RO part id run through a carbon filter to clean out any chlorine or other stuff from the water.

They produce very good drinking water, but they do waste some of the water fed into them to flush contaminated stuff away from the RO element. Typically dumps about 1/10 to 1/3 of the input water down the drain.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:15 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
And this was pretty much the sole reason I was willing to purchase two of them to install on our Airstream. I like doing business with companies that stand behind their product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
As a result, and as you duly noted, Micro-Air is so confident in its EasyStart products that it is now offering the Double-Down warranty on any newly-purchased and installed EasyStarts free-of-charge for any RV A/C unit that is 2014 or newer. The details and registration requirements for this compressor coverage are described at this link.

Micro-Air appreciates the support, and wants to reciprocate wherever possible.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Hello DCPAS. No, the instructions do not need to be changed. The removal or disconnecting of any system's optional start cap, along with its associated PTCR, have always been a part of the instructions. If your system has a start cap and PTCR provided by the OEM, disconnect it and/or remove them. If your system does not have these, then you have one less step to do.
In case anyone else was wondering whether something changed in installation, on my 2019 Penguin II it was exactly as described in Micro Air's excellent instructions. Did my five learning starts on 20 amp home service and then used my Genconnex Honda eu2200 powered by the trailer's propane port. I really don't understand it. Everything worked exactly as advertised the first time. That is not usually how my projects go. I am very pleased with my Easystart and my Genconnex.

For what its worth, the instructions mention that with a heat pump there may be an additional wire on the start capacitor that needs to be moved to the run capacitor. That was not the case on mine.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Already install "soft start" on Dometic in 2021 Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
I was installing a Brand NEW 15K Dometic Penguin II yesterday and in prepping the unit to install a MicroAir 364 SoftSTART I noticed the unit did not have a Start Capacitor or PTCR dispute the wiring diagram showing them.
Not wasting anytime I called my buddy Kevin at MicroAIR for a quick consult.
He informed me that the NEW Dometic AC units have incorporated “Dometic’s” own proprietary soft starter and you CANNOT install a MicroAir system. I not sure how I feel about this.....
I have not been able to run the unit for testing because the unit also requires a CCC2 10 button thermostat and it has not arrived yet.

As soon as I can I will report on the ability to run the unit off a single 2000 watt generator.
Here’s a few pics of the board.
Can somebody can find information about Dometic's heat pump installation of "soft start" feature in the 2021 Airstream product line?
Optional or standard feature?
Thanks
Michel
Papou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Following
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Palm Springs , California
2021 Globetrotter - AC

Does anyone know (Micro Air folks maybe) if the 2021 AS have the Dometic "easystart" on the AC's Airstream is now installing for 2021 model years?

Or, does a MicroAir easy start need to be added....
Txforetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:41 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txforetravel View Post
Does anyone know (Micro Air folks maybe) if the 2021 AS have the Dometic "easystart" on the AC's Airstream is now installing for 2021 model years?

Or, does a MicroAir easy start need to be added....
I am picking up my 2021 GT FBT today. I have two micro air's ready to be installed. I will report back.
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papou View Post
Can somebody can find information about Dometic's heat pump installation of "soft start" feature in the 2021 Airstream product line?
Optional or standard feature?
Thanks
Michel
I picked up my 2021 GT 25FBT on Wednesday last week. Today I installed micro-airs on both units. They were exactly wired as described in the micro-air install guide for a penguin II with heat pump. First one took me about 2 hours to wire because I was being so careful and double checking. After I finished that one and trained it, the second unit took 40 min to wire. I can post some pictures, but honestly the micro-air instruction pictures look exactly the same.

So I don't know how some folks have had the dometic soft start on their units. Perhaps they were replaced with a different model number due to warranty etc?

Regardless, it would appear the GT coming off the line as of late Sept 2020 were still shipping with no softstart built in.
TowmaterATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabe View Post
We had to replace our AC last summer and I didn't try reinstalling the MicroAir EasyStart unit because it would void the warranty. However, I've noticed that it starts up much smoother, without the loud knock, then the original unit on which I did install the EasyStart. I haven't tried running the AC from our MultiPlus 3000 inverter, but I'm now wondering if it would work.
If your AC doesn't have a factory installed softstart built in, then you can install a MicroAir unit. I've had my sister-in-law, who's an attorney, who said under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Dometic would have to prove (not just tell you) the problem was caused by MicroAir. Makes sure you know and understand your rights. The manufacturers figure you don't know and aren't happy when you are.

Also talk to MicroAir about how they stand behind their product doesn't cause problems.

I've been through this when another company claimed an add-on I installed on a vehicle had caused a failure. I brought up the Magnuson-Moss Act and was transferred up to a higher level. When they denied the claim again, I called back, asked if they could prove the add-on was the cause of the issue and was told take it to a dealer who said the add-on was not the cause of the problem. The vehicle manufacturer, who will remain GM, finally agreed to fix it when the dealer and I pointed out GM had issued a TSB on the same problem for the past 3 years. They fixed it and paid for the 53 days of car rental (a Mustang GT) due to the vehicle being out of service. Plus they offered me a $3000 discount on any new GM vehicle I would buy in the next 90 days. Went and bought a Ford.[/QUOTE]

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is to allow OEM equivalent replacement parts to not void your warranty. It was NOT designed to protect a warranty in the presence of a modification or otherwise which alters the function of the device from the manufactures intent. This has been litigated countless times and the finding is always the same. A manufacture cannot void your warranty for using a FRAM oil filter, but go ahead and "chip" your vehicle changing it's tuning or add non-OEM-spec components to it and they can within their legal right deny warranty claims on any effected part..
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Life is a Highway

From Cheech and Chong! " Hey I Love you man "

Don't you love it when a plan comes together-

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Allow me to state this.
MicroAir is a GREAT company and has been more than helpful through-out any interaction I’ve had with them.
I regret posting this confusing scenario on a public forum.
I WAS give BAD information by both Dometic and MicroAir. When I was told by Dometic it would not work I called MicroAir and that info was incorrectly confirmed. It was BAD info and a misunderstanding. That’s unfortunate, BUT the problem has been resolved with NEW, GOOD info from MicroAir.
Those guys are AWESOMELY dedicated to helping their customers.

The MicroAir 364 is an excellent product! It is an accentual piece to any Airstreamer that wants to run their AC on a smaller 2000watt series generator.

I will be installing two on my new 30’ GT soon.

Again. This whole problem was due to quick misinformation and misunderstanding. I took that info at face value and jumped off the bridge with it.
It is my fault for posting that info to a public forum. It is never my intent to spread wrong data. I regret that I did.

As stated previously. “Business as usual”. Move along people nothing to see here......
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:43 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI a new thread is continuing this conversation:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...-s-221156.html

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote