Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
OK - so this is the closest stock floorplan that I could find (from a 2013 Flying Cloud 30BH) - this is what I have in mind, but given that I would be tearing the interior our and starting from scratch, another potential method is putting the washroom where the refer and wardrobe is (assuming a trailer that was at least a foot longer than the one pictured here.

Is this possible, if I were modifying a 70s or 80s sovereign, or am I just whistling dixie?

pckeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking for a Restoration Project - Need Advice

Greetings pckeen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckeen View Post
OK - so this is the closest stock floorplan that I could find (from a 2013 Flying Cloud 30BH) - this is what I have in mind, but given that I would be tearing the interior our and starting from scratch, another potential method is putting the washroom where the refer and wardrobe is (assuming a trailer that was at least a foot longer than the one pictured here.

Is this possible, if I were modifying a 70s or 80s sovereign, or am I just whistling dixie?

What you propose is feasible from a space utilization aspect in a 31' Sovereign, but you may encounter two problems. The first being that the entry door is likely to be in the front bedroom, and it isn't easy to move an existing entry door. The second problem is that existing windows are likely to complicate placement of "walls" and may fall in locations other than where desired. I suspect that a rear bedroom 31' Sovereign may lend itself to your plans a bit easier than a rear bathroom.

I suspect that your floorplan would work more easily in an early 1980s 34' Airstream. The 34' would give you quite a bit more room that could expand the living area a bit . . . and there would be a reduced likelihood that the entry door would fall in the front bedroom.

Good luck with your investigation and research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

As Kevin pointed out, walls, windows and doors are what is going to make what you are thinking of hard to do.

Here's another floorplan, the one I was trying to describe before. Second last floorplan is my favourite.

Dunno, front and back bunks? You might be able to carry a platoon of your own!

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...c978cc1dc7.pdf

31-footers are almost at the bottom of that loooong PDF file.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Thanks to both of you. So let me ask this - assuming that I'm doing a shell-off restoration or a complete gutting of the interior of a trailer....

Can I begin with any 31-34' Airstream, regardless of floor model, or should I be looking only for rear bedroom models? I don't know if the window and door structure is different for the center bath vs. rear bath models.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
pckeen,

You're getting some outstanding advice on this thread.

Although I can't offer advice on 30+ footers, I do want to pass on one more thought. We evaluated converting our 26' Overlander to a rear bed and found that we couldn't accomplish it because of the wheel wells. We had the same size rear bed and -- on the Overlander -- wouldn't have been able to walk around the bed without stepping over the wheel wells.

In your proposal, wheel wells might have a big effect on footroom under the dinette or force you to move the fridge.

Good luck,

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We have a 29' 1989 Rear Bedroom Excella. We also have seven big kids ages 10-16. Added to that, grandma spends about half of the year with us. We built custom bunks in the bedroom using the original twin beds. We built fixed too bunks above them and then hinged middle bunks on each side. These are hinged up during the day so that the bottom bunks can be used for seating fir card games and the like. We have a table which fits in between. At night, the table is stowed and the hinged bunks are lowered into position, and the final seventh bed unfolds from under the window to fit the floor space between the sets of bunks, leaving about 18" in the doorway for floor space for everyone getting in and out if their beds. It works GREAT!!! We have spent more nights camping than we have at home in the summers! In the front, an L- shaped couch becomes a queen bed fir the two of us, and a chaise (which is next to the L making a U) pulls out to become a single for grandma when she is with us. We have a table which goes in the center of the U when we need to eat inside and all ten of us can eat in the front or play board games in the table. We did a lot of updating and even added a built-in dishwasher, which sounds crazy but actually makes sense with this many people -- it uses only 1.5 gallons to wash ten place settings and has its own built-in water heater so it doesn't affect showering etc and doesn't fill the gray tank or empty out fresh tank like doing then by hand. Plus, it's a great place to store the dishes as well. We LOVE our airstream! Good luck with yours! It's one if the best things we have done for and with our family.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Hi Skatiero - like the twin bunks - I found your photos. Did you find that the bunks prevented access to the windows at all?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
No, you can still access all if the windows and can still use the rear window for egress.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking for a Restoration Project - Need Advice

Greetings pckeen!

Quote:
Thanks to both of you. So let me ask this - assuming that I'm doing a shell-off restoration or a complete gutting of the interior of a trailer....

Can I begin with any 31-34' Airstream, regardless of floor model, or should I be looking only for rear bedroom models? I don't know if the window and door structure is different for the center bath vs. rear bath models.
As with so many things Airstream, and particularly with Vintage Airstreams, there isn't one definitive answer to your question. Part of the answer is in just how Vintage the trailer in consideration might be . . . as there were differences from one year to the next as well as within models of any given year.
  • During the 1970s, the rear bedroom Sovereigns would have had a single, centered rear window. Beginning sometime in the early 1980s, the rear bedroom Sovereigns may have the Panoramic rear windows with deep wrap wing windows.
  • The side window arrangement is nearly always different when comparing the same year and model of Sovereign when one trailer is rear bedroom and the other is rear bathroom.
I suspect that a rear bedroom Sovereign with the single centered rear window would likely be the easiest floorplan to adapt to your desired new layout with the same likely being true for the 34' Airstream trailers as well.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Anyone recognize what this is?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Big rock , Tennessee
Quote:
Anyone recognize what this is?
It looks like a sovereign maybe a 28'
Woodweavil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
What year? The current owner says 1976.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Could be '76. Needs axles, by the look of the photos.

But "don't ask for more photos"? And no ownership? Personally, I would lose interest pretty quick for just the shell, and that kind of attitude.

Check with Min of Trans to see what is involved in getting a new ownership. Bet it's not easy...

PS: if you want to know the year for certain, get him to give you the serial number, and we can look it up for you.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Thanks Aage. The price seems to good to be true..... I'll have a chat with her and find out what is going on.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Several years ago I looked into buying an older (1970's) AS that the seller had as a cottage with a deck in a campground. The seller was an Ontario resident, but the campground was in Quebec. The seller said that he purchased it from someone who had it in the same c/g and that it was not licensed. I inquired what the process was at Ontario's MOT and was told that it required that the seller produce an affidavit attesting to his purchase - the cost of an affidavit ran about $300 then. From what I gathered, it was not a cookie-cutter type of deal - each case is considered on its own merits based on the documentation. Keep in mind that the Province wants to collect the sales tax. I (wisely) passed up that "deal".
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Alas, although I was able to trade emails with the owner, she claimed to have had over 30 calls....and the airstream ad was gone by the end of the day. Oh well, I don't think it was long enough anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Hi,

OK - so I've been away for a while, but surfing craigslist and kijiji for a while. This airstream has come up locally. It is described as a "1970 Airstream International 31'". If they have the year right, it is a Sovereign.

In asking them about this, they advise that they started this as a restoration project. They regard this as gutted, but from what I can tell, there is still a fair bit of gutting to do. They advise this is towable, doesn't leak, but the floor where the bathroom needs 'a little bit' of welding.

I'm interested in a shell off restoration, and completely rebuilding an interior, replacing the insulation etc. so this seems to meet the bill. My aim is to build something custom, as I cannot find the layout I need in an airstream of that era.

In reviewing the photos, my main concern is that if the interior aluminum panelling has been removed, then I will be looking at fabricating new aluminumpanels. I'm not sure I want to do that.

So what red flags does this raise for you? What is a reasonable price for this in your view?

Here are some pics.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Unless they are literally giving it away. I would look else where.
Are you dead set on something over 30'?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Yes - I want to build a bunkhouse (me, my wife, and four little people) - which will require some innovative engineering....
Old 10-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
How is the rest of the exterior? Hard to tell, but it looks like there's a dent under the front window on the street side, or is that just a reflection? Are the windows all okay? It looks like most of the interior panels are there, but what about the rear interior end cap? Not sure about 1970, but in our '74 it was ABS. We replaced the front end cap with wood because it was cracked around the shelf, and I didn't like the look of it anyway The rear end cap was fine.

Are there appliances?

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote