Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Pittsgrove , New Jersey
Help.. '71 Overlander Intl Hole in Black tank

Uh Oh...I think I drilled a hole in the bottom of my black tank while riviting the belly skin to New rear cross angle. Pretty sure I went through the pan/styro/tank. Does the Pan hold up the tank? I was hoping to remove the cross angles and pan then Fix the holes. New to forum and welcome any assistance I can get. Can't believe I did this.
DCFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Salt Lake , Utah
Put some water in the tank and you'll find out if you drilled a hole in it. The styrofoam is fairly thick. Dropping the braces and the galvanized pan to repair a hole is no small job.
Oly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Great answer.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Pittsgrove , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly10 View Post
Put some water in the tank and you'll find out if you drilled a hole in it. The styrofoam is fairly thick. Dropping the braces and the galvanized pan to repair a hole is no small job.
OK, Thanks for the reply Oly10. I poured water down the toilet into the dry tank and it's leaking through the pan. Big question for anyone, does the Angle brackets that holds up the pan also hold up the tank?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFITZ View Post
OK, Thanks for the reply. I poured water down the toilet into the dry tank
and it's leaking. Big question for anyone, does the Angle brackets that holds up the pan also hold up the tank?
How big is the hole you drilled in the tank ? If it is just the size of a rivet I would be thinking of trying to use a tire plug to seal it.

Hole or Holes ?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Pittsgrove , New Jersey
That sounds good. I may have side swiped the tank, I would like to look at the tank from underneath once the skin and drip pan is removed. It may not be a clean shot as I was very close to the Angle. I know one hole is covered up by my first rivet on the belly skin. Then the other skin overlaps this one, so I need to remove skin anyway.
But this is a first for me and if I could just see the bottom of that tank. I wish I could just remove the two anlgle brackets and remove the pan from below...
Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFITZ View Post
That sounds good. I may have side swiped the tank, I would like to look at the tank from underneath once the skin and drip pan is removed. It may not be a clean shot as I was very close to the Angle. I know one hole is covered up by my first rivet on the belly skin. Then the other skin overlaps this one, so I need to remove skin anyway.
But this is a first for me and if I could just see the bottom of that tank. I wish I could just remove the two anlgle brackets and remove the pan from below...

Search is your friend.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f476...ons-54643.html

Someone will know the answer.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Pittsgrove , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Search is your friend.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f476...ons-54643.html

Someone will know the answer.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'll continue to look thru the threads.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Many of the AS models around that time use a hinged pan frame. And yes, the frame holds the pan which holds the tank.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you remove the angle supports the pan and tank will fall. If you don't remove the toilet and unscrew the toilet flange and cut the vent line and you just drop the galvanized box you risk cracking the flange on top because the only think holding the black tank up will be those two fittings. If you do try by only dropping the box, I would be very careful and have a support to place under the black tank as soon as the galvanized tank down.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Pittsgrove , New Jersey
It's a beautiful thing

I want to thank all of you who responded to my desparate call of Help on my stupidity of drilling a hole through my Black tank. It appears many have been down that road before for reasons other than drilling a hole in the tank. Reguardless, It appears that the technique of dropping the pan only from below has been tried. You did mention to cut the vent pipe, is that the only one and do you know if I can get a coupling, or rubber coupling to fit the older pipe size? I think i'm going to remove the toilet just to be safe, I'm sure i'll find a thread on that . Well here we go do I patch or replace the tank? I can't believe I got responses from so many so fast.
Thanks to all.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
*If* its a wee little hole and out away from the corner & walls its either...

Plastic welding using, for example, a little heating torch from harbor freight that uses very low pressure air and an internal electric heating element - OR -

There is an exotic 3M bonding compound that has been used to bridge BW tank cracks successfully by forum members before. Sorry, the exact product number & name escape me..