Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Dish satellite TV

I have a 2018 Classic 33. Unfortunately at dealer suggestion, I bought the Dish Playmaker/Wally package. The Playmaker gets power thru the Sat connection on curb side of trailer. Could never lock in the 129 satellite which has most of the HD channels. Problem is that if I use a cable over 12 ft. from Sat connection, it won’t power the dish to lock in all satellites. According to Dish I need a model called the Winegard Carry-Out G2 or G3. Anyone have a similar problem? Solution??
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
I have a 2018 Classic 33. Unfortunately at dealer suggestion, I bought the Dish Playmaker/Wally package. The Playmaker gets power thru the Sat connection on curb side of trailer. Could never lock in the 129 satellite which has most of the HD channels. Problem is that if I use a cable over 12 ft. from Sat connection, it won’t power the dish to lock in all satellites. According to Dish I need a model called the Winegard Carry-Out G2 or G3. Anyone have a similar problem? Solution??
I have a Playmaker with about 35' of cable on the sat connection. Works just fine.

Dish once told me to plug the cable directly into the wally, not the sat connection when setting up. They said you would only have to do this once. I did that and have never had a problem getting 129.

How far away (in the classic 33) is the sat connector to the wally?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Are you using satellite cable as your extension? It is not the same as cable tv wire!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I use a Tailgater with a 211z receiver. I have 50' of RG 6, 3GHz coax. I think this cable is a very important part of getting the distance. In my trailer I have have a two port coax jack. One says port shows cable/sat in, and the other port shows cable/sat out. Next to it is my cable connection for the tv antenna. Those two ports are connected together by a small jumper when I use the connection to the TV antenna. When I use the Tailgater I connect the RG6 cable to the outside cable connection port and port on the portable dish. Inside I unscrew the connector that is labeled cable/sat out. To that connector, I connect a cable between that port and the port for the satellite receiver. I've attached a picture showing the open port that I connect to the satellite receiver.

Airstream has changed these connections over the years but it sounds that if you are using the RG6, 3 GHz cable to the dish, then maybe the antenna amplifier is in line, filtering power/signal, thus causing your issues.

129 has many of the HD channels and dependent upon your location in the country, might be a little harder for you to get a clear shot at. I think there is a new Dish portable unit which would allow you to choose either the western or eastern arc satellites. Most of the older self aiming units only can use the western arc which is the 129, 119, and 110 satellites.

I use an iPhone app called Transponders and I have chosen the above 3 satellites to be high lighted in green. I start the app look up to the southern skies and those 3 satellites will be shown in green with the actual view superimposed. It's not totally unusual to have a site where if you are dealing with trees, you might have the 129 satellite partially or blocked will by foliage. I've taken a screen shot of my southern sky outside the door of my house. If my tailgater unit was sitting here, you would see that 2 of the 3 Dish satellites would be blocked. I use this app when I set up to verify where I place my tailgater unit.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	342558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3064.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	342559  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I have a Playmaker with about 35' of cable on the sat connection. Works just fine.

Dish once told me to plug the cable directly into the wally, not the sat connection when setting up. They said you would only have to do this once. I did that and have never had a problem getting 129.

How far away (in the classic 33) is the sat connector to the wally?

Other side of trailer, guess 20 ft
Old 06-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Are you using satellite cable as your extension? It is not the same as cable tv wire!

What’s the difference? I’m using cable Dish sent
Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
What’s the difference? I’m using cable Dish sent
The cable included with my Tailgater was the RG 6, 3 GHz. You should be able to see the cable specifications printed on the outer cable sheathing. If you have that cable, I'd start looking into whether you are connected to the proper connection points in your trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote