Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2020, 12:11 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Sacramento , California
Currently renovating newbie

This would be amazing to have! When can you guys finish it lol. I can’t even tell you what any of this is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	255D198E-3CF4-4A5B-85DF-7AABD11AA18C.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	379737  
Ctmchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
1966 Caravel Restoration

Having benefited greatly from the help of so many talented restorers over the past couple of months, I think a searchable, electronic book, and hard copy version for those no-cell moments, could be extremely beneficial.

I also have spent hours sourcing materials needed to keep every aspect of my restoration as close to original as possible. So a resource guide, which could be updated in the electronic version, would be enormously helpful.
WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Restoration of my 1966 Caravel: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...on-210688.html
Start at Post #7.
Flostream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Started in February 2019 ..... still working.

Having purchased my first without any specific knowledge of what to look for - this 1970 Tradewind renovation has been the joy of my Quarantine Days. Water and rodent damage were severe.

Chapter 1 - Dismantling (not demolition) Aids in the understanding the genius of design and lightweight construction.

Chapter 2 could be "Modern materials and mechanical appliances".

Chapter 3 has to be "Patience" - both mine and Dear Wife.

Extremely educational and rewarding - not recommended for the underfunded, under determined hobbyist.

Will sail in 2021.

GTW
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Landyatch TradeWind - December 2018.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	597.4 KB
ID:	379753  
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Books are nice. You gotta signoff on the final copy and hope you didn't miss something, you gotta find a printer, you gotta guess at how many to print and spend for the inventory,

Nope. Not any more you don't. You publish through amazon and it's print-on-demand. The books aren't printed till they're paid for, and amazon ships them for you. I call it The Three E's -- books are Easily and Eternally Editable. Found a booboo in chapter 4 or want to add a photo to chapter 8? Easy. Make the update, finalize the files, upload to amazon, poof! The next person who orders a book gets the updated version.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #25

1972 Argosy 20
1976 Argosy 28
Bradford , Vermont
Editing and experience are good things

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAndersson View Post
Nope. Not any more you don't. You publish through amazon and it's print-on-demand. The books aren't printed till they're paid for, and amazon ships them for you. I call it The Three E's -- books are Easily and Eternally Editable. Found a booboo in chapter 4 or want to add a photo to chapter 8? Easy. Make the update, finalize the files, upload to amazon, poof! The next person who orders a book gets the updated version.
As a career editor and book developer, I'm on the other extreme of this simplified publishing plan. When I read a book with several typos and grammar mistakes, and I assume that there are going to be contextual and factual mistakes, too—usually because this is most often the case.

As a reader, if I've just purchased your book and next week you re-publish it with updates and fixes, you risk that I'm going to be pissed that I have this book that isn't complete and has mistakes. I'll give you a second chance, return this book and order the 'new' one, but then a couple months later, you update it again and tell me you're sorry, you messed up on the facts in chapter 7, so now new buyers will get the right information and previous book owners have to buy the new copy to get the info. Not a really good marketing methodology.

As an author, it's nice to be able to add and update material, but it still needs planning and care. I'm currently making a second edition of a book that was originally published through Amazon, and it includes a new chapter and updates in various sections. Since the first edition, Amazon has changed processes and rearranged its service, so the whole process has to be renavigated. The format has to change, the photos have to be re-processed. I decided to switch and use an online book layout app rather than what I used before, so there was a new app to learn. I've changed the print-on-demand vendor so that I can sell in more ways than on Amazon.

Different on-demand book publishing services have different fees, services, benefits, etc. Some allow distribution only through their own service, others allow independent sellers and distributors to purchase and sell. That's a decision you'll have to weigh based on where you want to make it available, and where your audience prefers to get their publications.

On a personal note, I would LOVE a book that goes through the options and specifics of each system. Maybe a series of books, like the old Time/Life book series on home improvement? That way the authors in each book could receive royalties on the sections they contributed to.

I've learned a lot via this forum, FB groups, and youtube videos, and pieces of books here and there, enough to have compiled what I've learned into a book draft. I would dare to claim that the book is a good story of my experience with the handful of renovations I've done, and would be helpful to someone who is coming into this adventure for the first time not really knowing where to start. But it's not a 'how to fix an Airstream like an expert' book, it's a 'this is my story and what I've learned' book. I need your book! :-)

And if you've listened to me so far, yes, I'd be interested in working on a project like this. From what I've read here, the project would benefit from a project manager and editor—someone who has compiled information from various sources and make it cohesive. It's helping experts who aren't writers put their thoughts into written form. You know, just like a restoration expert might help a newcomer figure out what to do first with their AS. It's not a matter of making every contributor sound the same, it's making sure the book is complete and supports itself via the content. :-)
vt5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Just reading through all the posts. I wonder if is this getting more complicated than the OP's had imagined? Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if there's value in putting out an initial version that is more basic--general procedures for gutting the trailer onward, lists of sources for parts etc., basic diagrams of systems etc. Then a more time consuming version with detailed instructions and procedures could be worked on in the meantime.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Collaborative VINTAGE A/S Reno Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
Just reading through all the posts. I wonder if is this getting more complicated than the OP's had imagined? Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if there's value in putting out an initial version that is more basic--general procedures for gutting the trailer onward, lists of sources for parts etc., basic diagrams of systems etc. Then a more time consuming version with detailed instructions and procedures could be worked on in the meantime.
I was initially to understand that this guide was to be general and basic trailer and systems information and tips (basically for beginners and DIYers). I can now see that going forward from this informational guide could be future booklets on model & year specific information and how-to basics that all the best renovators can contribute to. This could turn into a very useful set of guides for the unwashed in the ways of Vintage renovation and restoration. I for one am looking forward to this project. I am hopeful that those people who choose to impart their years of knowledge and skills can help push the beginners in the ways to do it right and the tips to get it done! I also hope this guide can drive a new surge in Vintage A/S ownership. These old trailers can and should live on. I will be looking forward to any and all updates on this project. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Mark and I would like to thank you all for the continued perspective and suggestions regarding this project, especially those offering to help or collaborate. Prior to expanding our team we felt obligated to accomplish the following:

1) Articulate the project's mission, purpose, and scope
2) Identify the characteristics of those likely to read our manual
3) Briefly assess the market demand
4) Consider the characteristics for invited authorship
5) Define the roles and responsibilities of all involved
6) Identify authors of prior renovation threads or forum members with expertise in specific areas
7) Identify a list of potential contributors (not authors) who have extensive experience with trailers from the late 1940s through 1970s who may be willing to provide photographs or era specific information about their trailer
8) Draft a detailed outline of potential manual content

I'm excited to report that we've made quick progress on all of the above. At present, we have produced 42 pages of content (in outline form), have six parts, thirty chapters (of which some have multiple sections), and two appendices. Of course, these specifics will likely flux over time. Soon, we will recruit a few more highly experienced Airstream renovators/restorers so that they can have early influence into the content and its organization. Once this small group reaches consensus, we'll invite additional authors to work on specific chapters.

We are hoping to get this ball rolling as soon as possible and continue to learn more about publishing and the pros/cons of various options as the chapter authors are working on content. Stay tuned!
Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for the update: You two are a quick progress team. Standing by to help out where needed.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
A/S Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_13 View Post
Mark and I would like to thank you all for the continued perspective and suggestions regarding this project, especially those offering to help or collaborate. Prior to expanding our team we felt obligated to accomplish the following:

1) Articulate the project's mission, purpose, and scope
2) Identify the characteristics of those likely to read our manual
3) Briefly assess the market demand
4) Consider the characteristics for invited authorship
5) Define the roles and responsibilities of all involved
6) Identify authors of prior renovation threads or forum members with expertise in specific areas
7) Identify a list of potential contributors (not authors) who have extensive experience with trailers from the late 1940s through 1970s who may be willing to provide photographs or era specific information about their trailer
8) Draft a detailed outline of potential manual content

I'm excited to report that we've made quick progress on all of the above. At present, we have produced 42 pages of content (in outline form), have six parts, thirty chapters (of which some have multiple sections), and two appendices. Of course, these specifics will likely flux over time. Soon, we will recruit a few more highly experienced Airstream renovators/restorers so that they can have early influence into the content and its organization. Once this small group reaches consensus, we'll invite additional authors to work on specific chapters.

We are hoping to get this ball rolling as soon as possible and continue to learn more about publishing and the pros/cons of various options as the chapter authors are working on content. Stay tuned!
Might I make a suggestion of trying to contact Andy Rogozinski. (formerly known as Inland Andy) He has loads of knowledge after many years working for and on many model years of Airstream coaches and was a lot of help to other Vintage Airstream owners before he retired. I do not know if he still is around on the forums but he could be an amazing help to you guys. I tried to see if he was still listed as a member but found nothing, his member name has apparently been removed from the members list. He most likely lives in the Corona or L. A. area. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Thanks, Ed. We’ll add him to the list of potential contributors.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Brief update… Mark and I are working on additional steps that need to be taken to progress this to the next level. We will update everyone once we have refined our approach. To be sure, we are very motivated by the enthusiastic response we have received from forum members!
Old 11-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Count me in to purchase a copy! This is a wonderful idea.

As a retired senior technical editor/writer with the Idaho Natl Lab, I would feel privileged to donate my time to edit or somehow help produce this valuable resource.

PM me if you can use my experience.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Kelowna , British Columbia
I am in my first of a 3 year Reno on a 1977 Soveriegn. As I do my reno I am also writing everything down in book format. The way it is going I will have a very large book. At this stage I am simply putting down ideas and things that I have researched and work I am doing. Definitely think there is a market for a more detailed “how to...” Keep me posted
Murman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'm ready to help where I can. Some of us are real aluminum-aholics if you know what I mean. Photos of vintage Airstreams that I've touched.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1804 Tucson Lemons (Small).JPG
Views:	40
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	384064   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	384065  

Name:	1009 Curbside (Small).JPG
Views:	39
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	384066   Click image for larger version

Name:	1907 Curb-800x600.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	384067  

Name:	2008 Camping-800x600.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	384068  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Following
Old 02-08-2024, 08:36 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Roxbury , MA
Hey guys, hurry up and write the book already! I am just about to start working on my 71 Safari and piecing together all the info from your threads is fun, but has my head spinning.

I'm kidding, of course, but only half kidding. You all and a few others have provided an absolute wealth of info in these forums over the years, and the search feature works well enough.

But it sure would be nice to have the "best of the best" collated into a reference guide of some sort. I'd love to see you all collect your combined wisdom into something. Whether it's a print book, a pdf, a website, a series of stickied posts, doesn't matter. Chances are, you could copy and paste a lot from your posts here, and reuse your many existing photos, so it doesn't have to be quite as daunting a project as it sounds.

Just my 2c.

Jason
yacht_boy is offline   Reply With Quote