Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Black and Grey Tank Valve position

Hi Folks

Could someone tell me does a Valtera bladex Black and Grey tank valve should be installed horizontally or can it be installed at a 45 degree? Does it matter?

It would work better for me at an angle.

Many thanks

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Tony, check to see what size the waste pipes are - most of the AS trailers until recently used Thetford waste fittings not Valterra. In fact, there is an adapter (which I use) to connect a Valterra type hose to my Thetford waste fitting.

If, on the other hand, you are completely rebuilding the waste system with Valterra fittings (keep in mind that there is a slight difference in the pipe diameters), then go with whatever works best for you.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for your response.

I was not clear, I am sorry.

It is a whole new system with all new tanks and valves. It has 1 1/2" ABS and coming off the grey tank and 3"ABS coming out the black tank. The valve at the black tank is horizontal.

It would be much easier to pull the grey water valve if it is at an upward angle then straight out horizontally. My concern is would I be more likely to jam in food or something that got past the sink drain in the upward angle position than horizontal?

Thanks

Tony
Old 07-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I replumbed my tank drain circuit last summer. I used two new Valtera slide valves. The "gate" in these valves closes into a pocket. It seals on the faces of the blade. If you were at a 45 from horizonal with the rod and handle pointing upward for easier access, I would think the pocket for the blade would be slightly more exposed to debris buildup, and maybe jam the gate open.

I didn't have an option on the direction of the actuator rods. I had to go horizontal to fit my trailer. I have had debris jam the gates in the past causing leakage. The old valves were Thetford. I like the Valtera better. So far, so good. I fuss with good rinsing when servciing my tanks.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
That was my concern too. I don't exactly know why it would except when pushing closed it maybe would be less likely to have food particles float away chopping into it and capturing it in the slot.

Tony
Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I added a third valve after the two lines join just before the cap. The third valve keeps the cap dry in case the other valves have leaked due to not closing all of the way. Its installed outside of the frame rail and the valve handle moves parallel to the frame.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
here's two valves both V's

Don't know if you can see in the picture the two (2) valves where we mounted one horizontally on the grey tank (forward) right behind the wheels and one vertically an (automatic) on the Black tank (next to the rear bumper) the valves. I kept the original black dump in the line by the black tank as we wanted to be able to dump when the weather was bad outside.

No real issues with either ones other than getting to the horizontal one to open up and making sure it is closed completely without placing too much torque on the handle. I add lubricate to the lines to ensure I'm doing my part.

I dump quite often just to keep the tanks clean, empty and available.

SL4BLLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0300.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	190854  
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for your replies.

Below are the pics of the valve set up. Two show the two possible positions.

I like the angled one best because it is easier to pull up to open. You may notice that the frame has been extended out 4.5 inches. What I like about this arrangement is I don't have to get on my knees to open up the black tank valve as before. But as with anything there is trade offs.

The grey tank is 27 gals as in the black they do hang below the original frame but a new frame has been added, made of aluminum, to accommodate and protect the tanks. I loose some clearance but it is not less than new AS. It also has more than the new tire carrier that I added. Also they are only about an inch and half below the axels. Anyway I will show more pics when I proceed further.

Again
Many Thanks

Tony S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1881.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	190855   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1882.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	190856  

Name:	DSCF1884.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	190857  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
This looks like a very professional modification. Well done. Your Valtera valves appear easily accessible should one get jammed and not close. I see why would want to angle the actuating rod for a clear pull. It looks like you could easily unbolt the valve from the flange mount and clean the valve if needed.

My side bath trailer has the tanks and drain enclosed in a big pan with 30 or so bolts holding it all up. Access to the valves requires droping the pan. This is a hard job for an old man like me! With your set up, I think fixing a leaking valve wouild be much easier. I don't think I would loose sleep about the 45 degree angle on the valve.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for your input and complement. David.

I just got back from a trip to the Bend, Oregon area without my Airstream. Rented a cabin not same.

Tony