Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Besides new Axles - what are the other big 'Gotcha' expenses

My wife and I just recently purchased an 1975, 26 foot Argosy. It's a rear bath model, and the trailer appears to be in 'fair' condition for its age, with some minor dents and minor surface rust on a few places on the outside (near where the awing attaches etc). We were able to pull the trailer from the private seller (about 40 miles away) to our home without any problems, at Highway speed.

We've done some work on a 'Canned Ham' type trailer previously, but this will be our first real remodel of a trailer.

While neither of us are craftsmen by trade, we are comfortable with basic to intermediate plumbing, electrical, woodworking and painting tasks. We've remodeled several homes, including kitchens and baths etc. Neither of us are afraid to get our hands dirty, or putting in some serious hours.

Reading through the forums, I know I need to have the Argosy inspected (we've not done that yet), and I recognize we will probably need the axles/suspension replaced (one of the few tasks we will probably leave to 'professionals'). The furnace works, but the air conditioner is shot so the air conditioner will be another 'big ticket' item.

My question is, besides the Axels, can you think of any other 'Big Ticket' (over $1000) items we are likely to encounter during the remodel?

We plan to paint the trailer, and do the majority of the work ourselves.

I know this won't be easy, or cheap, but I'm looking forward to the having a personalized vintage argosy when we are done!
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Axle replacement is mechanically not difficult, so don't let that dissuade from doing it yourself. You'll likely want some help, and a couple of inexpensive floor jacks to help jockey the axles into position. Lots of threads w/ pictures on this topic....

Two other areas of common 'hidden' trouble: floor rot due to leaks, and
rear end separation caused by leaks along the rear bumper. Both have lots of threads describing diagnosis and cure.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Expect to replace the HW Heater, fridge, and furnace in a unit of that age, if they have not been replaced. Those are the only other costly items, and I have replaced then all in the past when refurbing my 1976 Sovereign. Have fun with the new rig and don't be afraid to ask for advice on the forum. Good luck, Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas

In addition to everything previously mentioned - tires, stove top/range/oven and battery charging - are other possibilities.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I just went though this on our '69 Tradewind.

I started by putting 12v to the system and checked all the circuits , everything worked.

Next the 120 v system, good.

Put air pressure to the plumbing system, found a joint broken.

Added water to the black tank, found leak at fitting.

Poked all around the floor, solid.

First I replaced the axels ,brakes, bearings, wheels and tires.

To gain access to the hose clamp holding the valve to the black tank it was necessary to remove the entire interior and then cut the only good piece of subfloor to get to the clamp that was installed with the screw head pointed up.

Also found the floor rotted all around the edge behind the plastic interior panels.

Replace the last 4' of the floor and repaired water leaks.

Install underlayment and Marmolium floor covering.

Plan change, replace all systems and units.

Add A/C,Maxxair remote controlled vents , Digital TV anttenna, add PEX plumbing with sharkbite fittings, etc, etc.

Refinish most of the cabinets, replace partitions.

3 years and $22k later the first trip .

And still not finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 1st trip.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	249604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	249605  

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	249606  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm looking forward to the Journey. Not just the one's we'll take when we've got the Argosy road ready, but the process of rebuilding her as well.

Glen Ritas - beautiful looking rig! I especially love the vintage clock!

I don't think I have 22K to put into mine, but we could probably swing half that. Question, did you do most of the labor yourself, or did you hire it done? My hope is to do the majority of the labor myself (at least, where I can).
Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado

A 40 year old furnace can be and probably is shot and potentially lethal, that should be high on the replace list.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
It was me doing the vast majority of the work.

I did let the RV shop install the A/C ,vents, and antenna. Sure beats trying to lug the A/C up a ladder and crawl around on the roof. They have a fork lift and didn't even set foot on the roof.

Thanks, about the clock we found it online it's a modern copy.

BTW the area in front of the clock will have a counter top and a washer and dryer under it along with the spare tire and other storage.
I was going to install a new 30,000 BTU furnace there but we always go to full hook up sites and the little cube heater does the job just fine for us.

Well the $22k includes the $5500 purchase price and a $2000 Casita bathroom and the $2000 washer and dryer plus everything else so far.

Oh, I hated the stock bath tub and shag carpet so I ordered all the parts from Casita and modified them to fit. Its a wet bath and the black tank is part of the pan. It works great.

Have fun with your build and remember it takes twice as long and costs at least double to complete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0582.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	249682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	249683  

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	249684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	249685  

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	249686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	249687  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have about 20K hard cash in mine including purchase price and outsourced nothing. Lots and lots of my labor.

I was able to use the stock air conditioner, all other systems and fixtures are new.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1444012878.658185.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	249691Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1444012910.205942.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	249693

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I also say change the furnace for safety. Even if it works, at 40 years old it most likely is leaking through rust holes in the combustion chamber.
The LP pressure regulator and all rubber hoses within the LP system should be change if they are original.

Add a carbon monoxide alarm. Replace the smoke alarm.

If it has the original converter, get rid if that thing and get a mult-stage converter.

If you are removing/replacing cabinets during the remodel, go ahead with new appliances too. It will save a lot of rework later.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Our trailer sat unused but was lovingly maintained and kept clean and waxed for nearly 30 years. The floor is solid front to back and no issues with the bath overall nor the tub with any leaks or cracks. We fixed obvious things up front but then system by system started to fail. A/C, Water Heater, water system (copper is all gone replaced with pec), water pump, toilet, electric converter, black tank valve, etc.. Don't fool with the furnace. Our furnace came on but did not shut off even though the fan stopped running which made it a death trap - only the mechanic who did an inspection caught that by removing it and running it on a test stand. Axle and shocks are fine and the stove and refrigerator both work great. Definitely install CO2 and smoke detectors.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
the interior of that trailer is top notch! Great work!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Arlington , Massachusetts
Enjoy your new project. What repairs you have to do depends a lot on how you plan to use it. We purchased a 1972 23ft. Safari that was in moderate condition. PO had done a few weird things but it was serviceable. Had we just wanted to take it locally with full hook up we probably could have gotten away with fixing a few leaks, some minor floor rot and added an AC. We could have saved money by putting in an electric refrigerator and used the electric heater that came with the trailer. EXCEPT we wanted to take her on a 4,000+ mile cross country trip followed by a week in the Black Rock Desert. Although we could have done a lot of this ourselves we were strapped for time so we took it to the local Airstream dealer for new tires, breaks and bearings plus AC (definitely want to have that done by a pro) and a propane/electric refrigerator (Having a propane fridge makes long stays off the grid much easier) and replaced the heater. BTW, we have camped for several weeks twice in Aug./Sept and I can tell you, we have used the furnace a lot more than the AC. Oh, and we decided to replace the awning to match our color scheme (a lot more money than you'd think) We did all the interior renovations on our own including new floor, painting, replaced all lights with LED, designed and built some storage cabinets and a couch that folds out into a very comfortable queen sized bed. We also sealed all the leaks, replaced some plumbing and rewired a few lights, replaced some exterior lights and did some exterior repairs. After camping about 6 weeks we realized that the toilet and black tank needed to be replaced, we needed a better battery and charging system and we wanted a grey water tank and outdoor shower. This work was done by Joel Harp (Highly recommended) in Sacramento. So now after spending a lot more than we originally planned and much less than required for just local RV full hook up type camping, we have the perfect Airstream for us. We have the huge propane and fresh water tanks of that era, lots of storage and a fresh new interior that suites our tastes and needs. It's reliable and tows like a dream and we can boondock in the desert for 12 days, and stay in State and National parks for days without thinking about dumping or needing more water. Now all we need is solar and a new door knob and we'll be all done. Just kidding, old trailers are like old houses, they are always in need of some repair or improvement but I wouldn't trade her for a brand new one.
PaintedWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
J Morgan, that is an impressive trailer! I'm not too far from you over in Tulsa. If you have any good NW Arkansas restoration resources, please let me know.

We will definitely replace the heater, and based on my limited reading, I like the idea of a composting toilet, although the good ones are a little pricey.

PaintedWagon, I thought it would be cool to going burning man, but my wife was less keen on the idea :-)

--DD
Old 10-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I just changed out my fridge- I found an Igloo 10 cu. ft. on sale for $200, and leapt on it. I was looking at around $1500 for a new Dometic full-size, so I had some change rattling around in my pocket that went into a larger inverter/charger, and a couple of T-105 golf cart batteries. Even adding some serious solar panel action would still leave me money ahead! Check out some of the threads that feature Lewster, a seriously competent guy when it comes to this sort of thing.

Some of my car camping buddies here in S. Florida have been getting into portable air conditioners. If I had it to do my AC replacement over again, I'd have patched up the old AC hole and put in two portables. I plan on throwing away the old heater and putting in a portable AC under the stove top.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Tipp City , Ohio
Hey Suzy,
I to am thinking of an A/C unit other than on the roof. Do you have any info on brand, model, cost?
This,
Streaming24
streaming24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaming24 View Post
Hey Suzy,
I to am thinking of an A/C unit other than on the roof. Do you have any info on brand, model, cost?
This,
Streaming24
Haven't gotten there yet... still in the muttering phase. I need to find a small one, as I still have the roof air, and now a 110V-only fridge. Don't want to go over 30A on a hot day!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I did a spreadsheet for my Sovereign so I could prioritize what had to be done. Most things were $3-500 (water heater, weight dist. hitch, front window rock guard, fresh water tank, stereo).

Some things that cost more were upholstery. I used two IKEA foam twin mattresses I had, and had covers made of vintage 70's fabric found at the vintage swap meet ($5/yd.), drapes ($1300), axles & brakes (about $2000 installed), Atwood AC (taller than I would have liked but it will run on a Honda eu2000i, $800 installed). I found a used awning on here for $250 and had it re-stitched ($200). Large carpet remnant from Home Depot for $125

I didn't touch the 12V, 120V. The plumbing was fine, I put in new cartridges in the galley, shower and bath faucet ($25 each).

Found a set of Alcoa rims and 2 year old tires here in the classified section for $400.

It all added up quickly. I wanted the stock 70's look so I didn't do any customizing. If I did that I think it would have been much more $. If I added up my receipts I probably spent $8-9,000 and a lot of time. New weatherstrip on all the windows and hatches took days. I still have a list of about 15 things I want to do (gray water tank).

You can see I was pretty resourceful with some things.

9 days in Black Rock City and no problems.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks guys for the tips!

Craig - You can run your air conditioner from a Honda eu2000i? I would have thought it would have take a 3000 series. That's good to know. Do you mind me asking how many BTU's your air conditioner is? Also, do people typically install there generators on there trailer tongues near the propane?

I'm also making a list. The expenses will add up quick, so I'll definitely be prioritizing. We had budgeted 10K for the reno, and I realize now I'll probably spend more than that, but some things may have to 'wait' a little longer.

Also, has anyone used an electric, tankless water heater on there RV? I know you'd only be able to use it with a generator, or shore power, but they weigh less and take up less space.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Atwood says the AC is 13,500 but it puts out equivilant to 16,000. I ran it here in Palm Springs this summer (110+) after it was installed and I was happy with it. It took about 20 minutes for the temps to start dropping. The only thing it doesn't have are drains for the condensate. It will just run down the side. For as little as I plan on running it, that was fine with me. Cheaper than buying another eu2000i too.

My 120V plug is at the back so I didn't install the generator. I just use it when needed and put it in the bed of the truck when I'm done with it.

I wanted to buy the tankless but only the reviews for the Precisiontemp were good and at $1000+ i couldn't justify the cost. I went with the least expensive $350 10 gallon Atwood that you need to light manually. It worked perfectly.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote