Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Lower adjuster spring on brakes

I pulled the drums on all my wheels and found that the springs on the adjusters were all broken, except one.Was this a common problem?
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt View Post
I pulled the drums on all my wheels and found that the springs on the adjusters were all broken, except one.Was this a common problem?
That is a common problem with high mileage backing plates.

Replace all the brake backing plates, and save yourself some headaches, since the other parts in time, usually fail as well.

Check the drum face and the armature plate, the part that the magnets dies on, for gouging. If wo, have the drums turned.

Lastly, because of their age, check the axles for bad rubber rods. If they are defective, you might be better off changing the complete axles, so that you would have superior drums as well as more efficient brakes.

There is an article on how to check out the axles in the Airstream Central portion of this Forums.

Andy.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
The drums look great, as well as the magnets. I don't see any groves, so really no need to turn. God I really don't want to even think of replacing the axles, just got through replacing bad frame and skin due to the common problem with this series failure at the toilet to thank connection. An ungodly amount of work on something that has become a near obsession and now a matter of grudging discipline to complete this project which started out as just some exterior skin replacement and ended up with frame and floor replacement.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
brake shoes looked good as well as every thing else, I think the springs were perhaps not specked correctly from the get go.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you don't want to deal with axles you could just replace the full backer plates. Sale Specials & Close-Outs at Trailer Parts Superstore is the least expensive place I've found them. And - they're on sale.

At the same time - we ordered shocks from Inland (see above) and replaced them also. It never ends - but it will get better....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
brake shoes looked good as well as every thing else, I think the springs were perhaps not specked correctly from the get go.
I disagree.

Electric brake springs often break, because they have been over heated all to many times.

That over heating is caused by the brake shoes getting very hot, over a long period of time.

When the springs break, it's really a good time to replace the entire brake backing plates.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Springs

Quote:

If everything looks ok then just get you some new springs, if your comfortable with new springs and your sure of your own judgement then go with it. Im not one to replace everything because one thing goes bad. Springs break thats why you can buy replacements.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
checked axles not sure

I ran the wheels up on ramps both sides, the front axle did travel down about 3" , however the rear did not travel on the curb side and the street side went into neg angle. all torsion bars stayed at 0 or level. I take it from reading Andy's post that this pretty much means they are toast. I was a bit confused in reading that the axles could be loaded at angle from 0 to 20+ deg, so how would you know you had one that was set a 0 deg and would not be worn out?
I live on the east cost and need a supplier or manufacturer on the east cost as shipping is now prohibitive, anyone close to Virginia?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, at this point it looks like you need to replace both axles. [complete with brakes] Springs can break from being overheated and rust. The adjuster springs, being on the bottom, are more likely to stay wet and rust. If the adjuster springs are broken, then most likely all of the brake springs are bad. An old time spring test was to drop them onto the concrete; If they made a twang sound or bounced, they were OK, but if they made a thud, like dropping a piece of clay, they are bad. Improperly made springs will break right away or within a short period, not years later.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote