Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Brake controller adjustment problem

I have a Tekonsha TA 1100 which I think is a "time delay" controller. I followed the manufacturer's instructions and set the adjustment to a point just below the skid point. When I depress the brake pedal, the brakes operate just fine until I take my foot off the pedal--at which time I get a jerk. I have the feeling that the trailer brakes hold for a split second before releasing, and thus result in a jerk.

If I turn the power control knob down, the problem goes away but the braking ability is decreased too. I'm wondering if the problem is the controller or if I have a problem with the trailer brake system.

Any suggestions on this issue would be appreciated.

JZ
Zettervall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have never used a time-delay controller, but the installation instructions that cover several models, including the TA-1100, imply that this controller also uses preset braking rates/times. From the description, the jerking you describe may be normal for this type of controller.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider upgrading to a proportional controller. Proportional brake controllers, like the Tekonsha Prodigy, are much smoother in activation; and they are in wide use with excellent reviews.

Several years ago, we were able to purchase a new Prodigy for about $75, but it looks like the price has gone up and they are just under $100 now. Considering the difference in cost between your current controller and a proportional model is only a tank or two of fuel, you might want to upgrade. Besides, you can probably resell your current controller to someone with a utility trailer that isn't concerned about a little jerking when braking.

Note: The Tekonsha Prodigy is also sold by Draw-Tite and perhaps other companies, so check other brands for bargains. We actually have the Draw-Tite model, and it is identical to the Prodigy, except for the name and logo.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Draw-Tite controller

I have a Draw-Tite controller and I have adjusted the digital scale up to about 9.7 to get appropriate braking on my single axle Airstream. It used to work best nearer 6. This change occurred after I repacked the wheel bearings and adjusted the brakes.

Does this increase indicated anything to be concerned about.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
brake controller voltage ??

I am curious if the voltage reading on a Prodigy type controller means anything, or if it is just a relative number.

Before repacking the bearings and adjusting the brakes my controller was adjusted to about 6.6 Now, it has to be adjusted up to 9.2

Do higher numbers necessarily indicate something is wrong, or does the number matter as long as the brakes work.
WBCCI #1200
Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Zetter, what kind of brakes do you have on the AS? Electric drums or Electro-hydraulic discs?

I recall reading that the electro-hydraulic system is incompatable with the time delay type controllers..anyone else recall this?
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Mine are the original type electric. Although they are brand new on a new axle.
WBCCI #1200
Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hmmmmmm.....and it didn't behave improperly with the old axle and brakes? I can think of nothing that would cause this, except a bad controller. Is it late applying as well as releasing?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Is this model a pendulum type model?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I had a time operated brake controller installed by dealer. I found its behavior unsatisfactory and removed it within a couple weeks.

Mine would simply progressively apply the brakes as long as the brake light signal was present. I could be partially easing up on brake pedal but trailer brakes kept getting stronger and stronger. I'd have to intentionally lift pedal completely to get trailer brakes to ease up. I could see it releasing with a jolt if trailer brakes were fully applied but pedal was barely depressed.

Frankly it is an unsatisfactory system and you are observing the deficiencies of the system. I'd remove the timed brake controller and replace it with a Prodigy or equivalent. I don't think you'll be happy with timed controller in the long run.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
hey, Zetter, I have 2 hayes Micro...somethings (I'm away from home right now, so I can't look at the name) which I used with my old SOB. I had one permently mounted in my personal vehicle and one for use in my company vehicles. They work flawlessly with drum/all electric brakes. Maybe a little old school, by todays standards, but they work. They are pendulum activated with no time delay. I have no use for them with the AS. If you want one PM me. I'm sure I can scare up the manual as well.
No charge. No shipping....just paying it forward.