Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
ThB
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Gresham , Oregon
TPMs & Valve Stems on Basecamp 20X

My wife and I are awaiting the delivery of our BC 20X in June. This is our very first RV, and we're looking forward to new adventures in traveling. I'm starting to look for some of the necessary items to add to our new purchase, and am investigating tire pressure monitors. The TST 507 flow through sensor requires metal valve stems (and probably ample space for a slightly larger tire pressure monitor). I'm guessing the 20X has metal valve stems since the wheels are aluminum. But I'm hoping that someone with a new Basecamp 20X can confirm that the valve stems are indeed metal, and that there is adequate space to use the flow through sensors by TST.

Thanks much for your help.
Thayne
ThB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThB View Post
My wife and I are awaiting the delivery of our BC 20X in June. This is our very first RV, and we're looking forward to new adventures in traveling. I'm starting to look for some of the necessary items to add to our new purchase, and am investigating tire pressure monitors. The TST 507 flow through sensor requires metal valve stems (and probably ample space for a slightly larger tire pressure monitor). I'm guessing the 20X has metal valve stems since the wheels are aluminum. But I'm hoping that someone with a new Basecamp 20X can confirm that the valve stems are indeed metal, and that there is adequate space to use the flow through sensors by TST.

Thanks much for your help.
Thayne
I'm guessing that stock stems are rubber, but I could be wrong.Rubber valve stems are a weak link, especially on a single axle trailer.
Metal stems are a good idea, on any trailer wheel.Always check tire pressure often.
Inflate to max cold pressure shown on tire sidewall.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
2020 bcx

Our 2020 BCX has rubber stems.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolind View Post
Our 2020 BCX has rubber stems.
Thanks.Thats what I thought.
Thor, I mean Airstream is charging like what, 40 Grand for these trailers???
Knowing full well, that many buyers, like the OP here, are brand new to camper trailers, ( entry level Glampers) as well as possibly brand new,to operating any kind of combination vehicle.
Also knowing full well, that rubber valve stems lead to leaking and tire blowouts.A single axle is especially vulnerable.
Also knowing full well, that many new buyers are going to put a tire monitoring system on, like the OP here is.
And yet, they still won't put 2 metal valve stems on???...Ouch
Old 03-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
A different take

I robustly agree that when you buy a premium product, it should come with all the bells and whistles. However, given that I have compulsive problem solving disorder, I have found that fixing minor issues and modifying our Basecamp to be very therapeutic. It is also what makes it “ours”.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
ThB
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Gresham , Oregon
Thanks Rolind and BCole for the information. Looks like I'll be making early adjustment when we get our new BC.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Thanks Rolind and BCole for the information. Looks like I'll be making early adjustment when we get our new BC.
I'm not a big fan of single axle trailers, unless they are a little lawn trailer or small boat trailer.
But if running a larger single axle, you want to hedge your bets in the tire department.Metal valve stems are way to go.With or without tire pressure monitors.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
ThB
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
I'm not a big fan of single axle trailers, unless they are a little lawn trailer or small boat trailer.
But if running a larger single axle, you want to hedge your bets in the tire department.Metal valve stems are way to go.With or without tire pressure monitors.
I appreciate the perspective regarding the single axle. It's the reason why I will invest in a tire pressure monitor system and portable tire air compressor. The BC 20X comes equipped with some good quality tires (Goodyear 235/85R16 Off-Road DuraTrac Tires), and with an installation of metal valve stems I should be much safer. Also, thanks for another post regarding towing safely. I respect your advice about speed and will heed your words.

Thayne
Old 03-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , NJ
I did purchase a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for our dual axle 22'FC. Cost a little over $400 including installation. Be careful installing metal stems on metal rims as electrochemical reactions can occur between unlike metals. I specified a stem with a rubber outer fitting that fits into the rim.

One thing to be aware of is that the wireless meter takes a very long time - many minutes - to establish a connection with the rim sensors. And if you are inside the airstream you will have difficulty establishing a connection because of the metal surrounding you (as with any wireless connection).

Having done it, I really think that bending over with a good old fashioned air pressure sensor could have saved me $400 and given my abdominals a little bit of daily exercise . I should have just invested in a heavy duty jack in case I need to change a flat...
cfrench58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
I appreciate the perspective regarding the single axle. It's the reason why I will invest in a tire pressure monitor system and portable tire air compressor. The BC 20X comes equipped with some good quality tires (Goodyear 235/85R16 Off-Road DuraTrac Tires), and with an installation of metal valve stems I should be much safer. Also, thanks for another post regarding towing safely. I respect your advice about speed and will heed your words.

Thayne
Glad to help!
Old 03-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Install the metal stems. If you have machined aluminum rims you'll need the 902-W Dill valve.

The TST 507 is a great unit, you'll never regret having it.
I think of it as serving the lazy people. Now instead of pulling out the tire gauge, I just turn on the monitor.
Your Basecamp might have the Sendel T-07 rims. If so, you will need the 902-W stems. Discount tire is a good source or have them do it, just stay with the tech when he jacks it up. They're accommodating, but don't know how to jack a trailer.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
3 years now with the TST TPMS system you are looking at; I think it works fine with rubber steams I have on my GY Endurance. (2nd set of tires with these on this AS) I have 48K miles on my currant AS and use 4 "Valve Cap" style transmitters; they work fine. I did install the repeater on the A frame by battery compartment that comes with the system. Just went to/from TX-CA-TX in the severe cold of TX to 80+ in Borrego Springs desert; one morning on return gave off a "low PSI" alarm one morning due to cold. I monitored for a bit till it warmed up and PSI came back into specs. My tire pressure is set to 58 cold...warms to 70 when rolling...each of my 4 tires still transmitting PSI and temps after 2 years now on same batteries. Which ever way you decide to go, this is a great tool which gives peace of mind...many folks have praised early warning of a blow out with these type devices...from hitting something and tire heating up while loosing psi!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
ThB
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Gresham , Oregon
Thank you all!

I just need to say - I've read the Airforums for a couple of months now, and have learned a lot on a very wide variety of subjects. I was unprepared though for the kind of help I've gotten - suggestions, advice, pictures - by asking a simple question. My travels will be safer because of you. Thank you all so much.

Thayne
Old 03-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I just need to say - I've read the Airforums for a couple of months now, and have learned a lot on a very wide variety of subjects. I was unprepared though for the kind of help I've gotten - suggestions, advice, pictures - by asking a simple question. My travels will be safer because of you. Thank you all so much.

Thayne
There is a world of experienced "knowledge" here on the Forum, for sure! You will also see some "opinion" (from time to time) that is just that! Oveall, this is a great group of folks sharring their knowledge and wanting to help...love the support for sure!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 03-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
3 years now with the TST TPMS system you are looking at; I think it works fine with rubber steams I have on my GY Endurance. (2nd set of tires with these on this AS) I have 48K miles on my currant AS and use 4 "Valve Cap" style transmitters; they work fine. I did install the repeater on the A frame by battery compartment that comes with the system. Just went to/from TX-CA-TX in the severe cold of TX to 80+ in Borrego Springs desert; one morning on return gave off a "low PSI" alarm one morning due to cold. I monitored for a bit till it warmed up and PSI came back into specs.
Even TST says the caps can be used with rubber stems. The OP specified he wanted Flo-thru sensors which are a bit heavier and longer. Some people here had black marks on their rims with rubber stems. I just figured if I was going to do it, I'd go 100%. I installed the metal stems myself. Not hard technically with a bead breaker. Not sure I'd do it again.
I installed the repeater inside the lid of the propane tank with industrial Velcro and extended the power cord to the Zamp connector (backwards) on the battery box. I'm not convinced we need the repeater at all.

Quote:
My tire pressure is set to 58 cold...warms to 70 when rolling...
Tire pressure is measured cold, so I'd assume you chose 58 as your set pressure?

Quote:
of my 4 tires still transmitting PSI and temps after 2 years now on same batteries. Which ever way you decide to go, this is a great tool which gives peace of mind...many folks have praised early warning of a blow out with these type devices...from hitting something and tire heating up while loosing psi!
I'm on my third year of the original batteries although mine sits a lot. I did buy a new set of batteries. I had one sender that was dead....until it warmed up and started working again.
Another project on the list. At the same time, I'm moving the numbered caps to more closely follow the monitor.
I had front left as #1, but the monitor starts at front right. I'll have the caps off anyway for the new batteries.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #16
Texomajoe

Norman , Oklahoma
Exclamation

Had rubber valve stem (standard equipment on 2019 23FB) crack and deflate tire on the road and since it had a non-thru air sensor on it at the time I had Discount Tire replace all valve stems with metal ones. Took a less than an hour an about $63 to get it done. They had the required metal valve stems in stock. Simply took trailer and trailer lift ramp and lifted one tire at a time. Absolutely no trouble. Technician knew what he was doing.

I know that the company that made the sensor set said that all air-thru sensors needed metal valve stems and the non-air-thru ones didn't, I would disagree as it happened to me. I still feel safer with the non-thru air sensors even with the metal valve stems. While on the road and the flat occurred, I went to the only available tire shop in the area, WalMart, and they fixed new stem without trouble although it was rubber. I have had them help me in the past with trailer/RV flats especially when Good Sam just couldn't find a truck to help me out with a flat after 2-3 hours. In this case we just finished that trip without sensors till got to go to Discount Tire who have always been helpful and reasonable.
Txomajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Even TST says the caps can be used with rubber stems. The OP specified he wanted Flo-thru sensors which are a bit heavier and longer. Some people here had black marks on their rims with rubber stems. I just figured if I was going to do it, I'd go 100%. I installed the metal stems myself. Not hard technically with a bead breaker. Not sure I'd do it again.
I installed the repeater inside the lid of the propane tank with industrial Velcro and extended the power cord to the Zamp connector (backwards) on the battery box. I'm not convinced we need the repeater at all.

Tire pressure is measured cold, so I'd assume you chose 58 as your set pressure?

I'm on my third year of the original batteries although mine sits a lot. I did buy a new set of batteries. I had one sender that was dead....until it warmed up and started working again.
Another project on the list. At the same time, I'm moving the numbered caps to more closely follow the monitor.
I had front left as #1, but the monitor starts at front right. I'll have the caps off anyway for the new batteries.
Understand on the rubber stems...I just put my second set of Endurance on at 48K miles, and they put in new rubber stems...thought about getting the metal, but these are working fine....recent trip to/from CA few weeks back and no issues. I remember when I replaced the batteries first time and ended up calling the TST support line...the gal walked me thru the re-programming in about a minute... simple...I will call again I am sure when these go bad!

I have had some issues with my automatic tail gate opening on my F250, even though I had it repaired/replaced couple years ago...it happened again recently. In both cases, the tailgate collided with my tank cover and bent the aluminum and broke the latch, so thats why I attached to the A-frame outside adjacent to the battery compartment. As for the tank cover, I was going to get a new one, but couldn't see spending $800....I was able to hammer out the dents with a rubber mallet. While in CA/Borrego Springs I found an older AS in a junk yeard out there with a tank cover, but was unable to find the folks who had the lot with wrecked RV's, to make an offer. Which brings up a great question...how do you find where they take the wrecked Airstreams or RV's?? Bet there are some great parts that can be had?