Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Overkill

Why would you want to put an E load range tire on a Toyota Tacoma? Tires are way overrated load carry for a smaller truck
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
^Sometimes tire selection is not just about on-road load capacity, but also off-road qualities including tread pattern, durability, etc. Some sizes just don't come in P-metric types tires.

I have also gone to a Load Range E LT type tire for the added performance and durability off-road. Like the OP, I have had to increase tire pressures (32 to 36PSI) per the load rating tables. Under tow, I use 44 PSI not so much for more load support, but the added stability it affords.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by upszeke View Post
Why would you want to put an E load range tire on a Toyota Tacoma? Tires are way overrated load carry for a smaller truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
... not so much for more load support, but the added stability it affords.
I said earlier that the E-rated tires were overkill as far as weight capacity goes, so that's not what I was looking for. Since we bought our AS at the start of last year I'm always trying to improve how well my rig tows as a whole. It has towed well from the start, but along the way I've made small but meaningful improvements. Things like drilling a new hole to shorten the hitch shank, changing the height and angle of ball mount, dialing in the weight distribution using 1/2" bolts in the weight distribution chains, etc.

When it came time for new tires I figured it was worth trying an E rated tire to see if it added any extra stability, like pteck said. Originally I though it was the heavier sidewall itself that provides the benefit, but the tire experts pointed out it's actually the fact that you can, and need to, run them with higher psi.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote