Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
axle/brake problem

I have brand new axles 3500lb units from Axis. They came with Dexter backing plates and brake drums. When I assemble them the brake drum does not go no far enough onto the axle stub to fully cover the brake shoe, there is about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of brake still showing. Has anyone had this broblem before?
sawdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would be contacting Axis. Are you sure the bearing races are fully seated. You should not see any part of the shoe when the drum is in it's correct position. Is the seal fully seated in the back of the hub?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
It takes a pretty good shove to get the inner bearing seal to go onto the final step on the spindle. I had to use the proverbial bigger hammer (a soft-faced one) to get mine to go on. Try the judicious use of force.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
brake trouble

The first thing I checked was if the race was on far enough and it looks like it is not on far enough. The race is not up against the machined shoulder of the brake drum hub. I took it apart. sanded the surfaces smoother....no luck, same thing. I took it apart and miced the hup inner dimension and compared it to the race outer dimension. There was the right amount of interface, .0001 press fit...no luck. I tried a 12 ton press...no luck. I think the problem is using an axle from one manufacturer and brake parts from another. They came as a set from a well known Airstream parts supplier in southern california, you know who I mean. I hate to take the axles out of the trailer but I guess I will and drive the 1000 miles south and find a combination of parts that will fit.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My next question is. If you bought axles from the guy down south and I think I know who you mean.
Why weren't the axles assembled and shipped as a unit with the brakes installed?
I bought Axis axles and they came fully assembled, brakes adjusted and so on.
I'd be making some serious phone calls.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
If it will go on far enough try pressing it on with the spindle nut. Also see if both bearings will slid all the way on the spindle when they are out of the hub. You might have a burr on the spindle not allowing the bearings to seat. John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Does Andy now sell Axis axles? He didn't.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I bought my Axles from Inland and they came from Axis directly to my address from the factory. Fully assembled and adjusted.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
axle problem

I purchased the axles unassembled because they fit in the back of my short bed pickup easier, I guess I should have had them hang out the back as an assembled unit. I visit so cal several times a year so there wasn't a special trip.

The inner bearing slides all the way onto the axle stub, I trial assembled them without the seal in case that was the hang up but no, all three, the inner bearing, the outer bearing and the seal all fit correctly onto the axle stub. It's just a distance in and out thing. Maybe it's as simple as the axles being from Axis and the brake backing plate and drum from Dexter.
Either way I'm loading them up fpr a trip south for fathers day and will meet with the guru himself.

I emailed Andy a week or so ago but no solutions yet.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
axle problem

I tried again today without the seal getting in the way, just the beatings the brake drum does not go far enough on. So I measured the length of the axle shaft stubs, the shoulder where the inner bearing seats is .250 inched further out on the new Axis axles as compared to the old Airstream axles
Thats just enough to cover the brake shoe.

I think it's the un-combination of Axis axles and Dexter brakes.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I am watching this post, ready to order axles. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You may have to call Colin Hyde, he is now the exclusive distributor of Axis axles for Airstreams. EVERYone has to order through him, even those places out West.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Beginning to look like someone grabbed the wrong drums off the shelf while setting up the order.

I doubt it is a Axis/Dexter issue as drums/spindle are industry standards.

Either Axis or Dexter should be able to answer your question.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You may have to call Colin Hyde, he is now the exclusive distributor of Axis axles for Airstreams. EVERYone has to order through him, even those places out West.
So, you are saying Inlandrv is no longer an Axis supplier?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I'm saying all Axis axles have to be ordered through Colin, no matter who the end seller is. And he is happy to sell directly to the consumer.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Not true.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
There has got to a be a mountain of money involved in selling Airstream axles. The fight over who gets to sell them astounds me. Have a dealers invoice show up with your shipment and you will be even more shocked.

Dexter is more than willing to build any axle you want. I always thought my options limited until I had a damaged set arrive at my shop. In dealing with the dealer, sub dealer, and the manufacturer, some mud was scraped from my rose colored glasses and it became very clear there are many options for your axles.

This doesn't answer your spindle length issue, sorry. Go to the guy you bought it from, he always makes it right in the end.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
In dealing with the dealer, sub dealer, and the manufacturer, some mud was scraped from my rose colored glasses and it became very clear there are many options for your axles.
The shorter the supply chain, the better for all involved. There are then fewer participants in the finger-pointing game if anything goes wrong. And, usually, the final price reflects the fewer hands the order goes through.
In looking through all these posts, a thought came to me. Are your axle spindles for 10" or 12" brakes? 10" brakes are 1/4" wider. So, if you have 12" drums and 10" brakes, the drum won't go on all the way. They won't work, either, but you haven't even gotten to that point yet.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
And, usually, the final price reflects the fewer hands the order goes through.
not even remotely true...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
axle brake problem

The brakes are 12 inch dia and 2 inches wide. Tomorrow I'm going to try the brake drums on several other axles my neighbor has. He had to order two pairs of axles before he got the right size width ones, but they were from an axle builder in eastern washington. A horse trailer item.