Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
laundry solutions?

besides laundrymats or onboard w/d units, what works for you regarding laundry?

I am considering:

Portable Washing Machine
from Portable Washing Machine
or Lehman's - Products for Simple, Self-sufficient Living

from http://www.laundry-alternative.com/products/Spin_Dryer.html
Carol, did you ever try this?

And then a way to hang in shower to finish drying:

would need several
from http://www.organize-it-online.com/itm_clothesl.html

from http://www.always-free-shipping.com/2lireclsh.html
2 Line Retractable Clothesline (could mount one towards back on one side, one towards front on other side, and have four lines)

from http://www.abundantearth.com/store/hoodbakerclothesdryingracks.html

from http://www.freshfinds.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/_/Tiered-Drying-Rack/productID/9DB5D98E-0C15-45F7-9DE5-8BCDA94A20B9/categoryID/1F44D1B7-80BE-4DBC-814D-42D01E35950B/

from http://www.amazon.com/Rectractable-Line-Clothes-Dryer-Clothesline/dp/B001B4IOGG/ref=pd_sbs_k_5

or could I use something like this (with a very strong hook)

from http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6785&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainC at=673&iSubCat=728&iProductID=6785

these would be great if I did not have a wheel well in my shower (others might be interested though):

from http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/code/155279.do?cm_mmc=YahooDF-_-2008-_-NA-_-folding+laundry+drying+rack&code-macs=MP8YAHO&code=MP8YAHO

from http://www.organize.com/exdrra.html

from http://www.organize.com/2tierdryer.html

what is your solution to indoor drying, especially when boondocking?

Oh! found this as an ironing board substitute (I don't iron but DH has to keep work shirts looking good)

from http://www.always-free-shipping.com/301036.html

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Morris , Indiana
We took out our oven and heater. And put the W/D under the stove top. We replaced the stove top with a new one that was only about 2 and 1/2 deep. Works great. And I don't mind that the loads are smaller. And I know who used it last.
Dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
New Airsteam 34 owner, it's all new to me.

Trying my best to find the best washer/dryer combo.

So far Haier or Thor units look the best? 22 inch max room to move down hallway install on starboard side, across from shower/vanity area.

Any help advise appreciated!!!!.

Will sun dry on decent days but need dryer for winter cold wet days.

Obviouslly plan second electric 30 amp line for W/D.
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Lexington , South Carolina
Hey Jason,
Hope all the diverse info is helpful. I love seeing all the innovative products people come up with. I lived in my '67 AS for three years. I started off washing in the tub, and hanging everything outside. (I mostly have nylon/ backpacking clothes) I used the 5 gallon bucket to wash also. Worked great, but stooping over the tub gets old. Rinsed everything with a pump sprayer. In the end, I put a regular washer and dryer in a storage building outside. Much easier! On short trips, I just don't wash clothes. Weigh your costs ($ and time). Most decent RV washer/dryers are expensive, not so convenient, and take valuable space in a camper. If you have room and the hookups (and stay on the same property most of the time), an outside storage space is priceless.
Mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
IIRC the unit you are looking at actually has a 110volt dryer and they are brutally slow. We had an apartment sized unit that was 110v and it took all day to dry a load of clothes(or so it seemed). If the load happend to be blue jeans it would take 2.5 hours to dry. You can dry them faster than that outside on a sunny day. We have looked at a unit like the one you are considering, for what they cost I can make a lot of trips to the laundromat. Besides if I go to the laundromat I can use more than one machine at a time and get done faster

Aaron
AMEN! And it's one more thing that can leak all over the inside of your Airstream.

Paula
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
We have a Splendide in our 1988 34'. It is a center bath unit with a closet next to the shower that was already plumbed and wired for a washer/dryer--guess the original owners wanted it that way because it looks like it was built by Airstream but I could be wrong. I kept an eye out and found the Splendide for about $300 (1/4 new price). It had been used by a guy on a year long construction job--otherwise perfect condition. The thing appears to be well made and sturdy. Not one problem so far.
It was a BEAR to get into the space (repair, if ever necessary will be equally tough). It was worth it, though. When we go out for extended runs (2 weeks straight is a long run for us) it surely helps to be able to wash basic clothes like underwear, towels, shorts, whatever so you don't have to carry everything you own.
The unit washes great and the dryer is a bit slow but that's alright--what's the hurry? We let it do its thing and wash/dry a few loads over the course of the day. I know it is a luxury to have in a travel trailer but I am one of those folks that is not so crazy about washing my clothes in the same machine (at a laundromat) that countless others have--don't like to share any more mites than I have to.
It is a heavy creature (100# +/-) and vibrates a good bit only on the spin cycle. My humble recommendations would be to put it as close to being over the axles as possible and install it on top of a piece of carpet or some other dampening device to baffle some of the vibration.
Good luck,
Bill
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #27
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
Here is a list of various contraptions to air dry laundry:

Air dry washing - TipThePlanet

I use one of the standing racks with fold-out wings, and one of the tiny, circular, hanging racks with swivel, clothes pins.

Googling came up with an electric spinner:

Spin Dryer

Here's another, at $570,

http://www.promolife.com/household/e...prod_1929.html

Here is Haier's list:

http://www.haieramerica.com/en/categ...ompact_Washers

Can anyone report how well the tiny Haier machines handle heavy blankets?
SJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
We already have a forced-air furnace. So how about directing the heated air to dry the clothes? One could route a vent pipe with shutter valves to where you hang your clothes or even a tumbler...
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hillbilly Washerteria

We use a fair weather approach to our laundry needs. We settled down for a while in TN. We have no neighbors to worry about. We went to a local auction & picked up a use washing machine fo $40. Our weekly laundromat trips were costing $20-25. Then we put up a clothes line. We are currently looking for a cheap or free dryer. The washer is plugged onto a 20 amp GFCI outlet on the pole below the breaker box. We have to use the local laundromat when temperatures drop below 50. Only a problem a couple of months down here. When a dryer comes our way, we will locate both machines inside a shed. This way the dryer won't have to work so hard in colder weather. A blowout at the washer & a drain valve at water supply will control freezing in winter. That is if we're still here next year. When we're ready to go, just call the local auction house to sell all the aquired items from our stay. Have them mail the check to our next stop.

Ricky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	93809  

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBurgett View Post
New Airsteam 34 owner, it's all new to me.

Trying my best to find the best washer/dryer combo.

So far Haier or Thor units look the best? 22 inch max room to move down hallway install on starboard side, across from shower/vanity area.

Any help advise appreciated!!!!.

Will sun dry on decent days but need dryer for winter cold wet days.

Obviouslly plan second electric 30 amp line for W/D.
I am not sure about Thor, but Haier is made in China and all reports I have heard say that the reliability of Haier appliances is extremely poor at best. When I was looking for a window A/C for my shop, I did a great deal of research and Heier had the worst reputation for all of their appliances according to the reports I found.

Dennis

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It's time. I have been reading and watching videos about these portables and I have made the decision to purchase a portable laundry center for my workamping situation. Last year it was almost a given that when the item I needed to have washed was dirty the washers and dryers were either in use or out of order and a trip to the laundrymat was a huge hassle from my location. There also was the expense of using the coin operated machines and the inconvenience of running up and down and back and forth trying to get in line to get a proper turn and wondering what the heck was washed and not cleaned up in that machine? Ick!

Since I am going solo the small capacities of these appliances are perfectly acceptable. I also like the versatility of these units the Wonderwash needs no electricity and got great reviews for using much less detergent and water and doing an amazingly good job manually and being well made. The spin dryer while needing electricity takes only a couple of minutes to drastically reduce drying time and avoid having to wring each item or leave them dripping or leave all my towels damp from rolling up wet things to dry them. It performs very well at extracting water and leaving garments less wrinkled than wringing and very near dry feeling, also great for extracting water from wet suits and cloths that might otherwise turn musty. I especially like the likelihood of clothes line drying in an hour or so. However should the garment be heavier and not drying quickly or if I am in a hurry or have some damp items to dry out I will have a clothes dryer which can also warm up the space. Opening up the fantastic vent overhead will remove humidity and I can use the rack without turning on the heat as well. I find a great deal of flexibility in the range of these three items and I am looking forward to the self sufficiency, fresh clothes and sheets, and freedom from commercial laundries for the most part. These will also take up very little space and are light weight for easy storage.

Wonderwash $44.00 6 pounds
Spin dryer $79.00 11 pounds 85 watts
Easy dry $85.00 shipping weight 16 pounds

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wonderwasher.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	111954   Click image for larger version

Name:	easydry.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	111956  

Attached Images

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Info looks good!

There also was the expense of using the coin operated machines and the inconvenience of running up and down and back and forth trying to get in line to get a proper turn and wondering what the heck was washed and not cleaned up in that machine? Ick!

For this reason we purchase washing machine cleaner. First order of "business" for fulltiming was to have about 2-weeks worth of clothes to make the laundrymat viable; second was being willing to clean "their" machines. Only have done it a couple of times.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I like the idea of a washer and dryer, but as many have said, the RV units are not worth the trouble, expense, and the space they take up.

While not full timers, we usually take some long trips each year. For that we've just used the laundromat at whatever park we are at. I've found that around supper time the laundries are slow, so I get things started while my sweetie is rustling up some grub and load up as many machines as needed.

If I were in one spot for 6 months or more, I'd probably pick up some used machines cheap and put them in a shed. Since 220 power is usually not available at RV parks I'd have to get a gas dryer. Not sure how many loads I could dry on one of those rental propane tanks, but that is how I'd hook it up. With a regulator and proper burner orifice of course.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #34
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Allergies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Wonderwash $44.00 6 pounds
Spin dryer $79.00 11 pounds 85 watts
Easy dry $85.00 shipping weight 16 pounds
I am looking at the exact same items for next summer. My son has bad allergies to scented laundry detergent, fabric softner, and dryer sheets. Using a laundry matt is next to impossible for us and I really don't want to hand wash everything. Please let me know if it works well!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
I suppose I should shout out in defense of the Haier unit. Mine works exceedingly well so far. I bought it on clearance for $75, not sure what retail was, but for that price, I'm happy. My son and I full-time in our 26ft '67 Overlander. I hang our clothes out on a line to dry, which currently needs rethinking. But the washer works great.

It has two small recessed handles that make it easy to move around, and I do have an enclosed utility trailer that I put it in when not in use. For cotton clothes (even my 14 year old's dirty socks) it works fine with just cold water. For nylons I heat a tea pot of water on the stove and add it to the wash. We mostly have nylon clothes because we backpack a lot, and they certainly dry faster. For the two of us, I typically wash three loads once every two weeks. I use Tide liquid detergent, but at about $20/gallon, I'm about to try my hand at making my own detergent from Borax, Ivory soap, and washing soda.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
I guess I should also tell my points of reference. When we lived in a "regular house", I had a heavy duty Kenmore for years, that broke, I got a standard GE washer, that broke, I bought a Maytag (and wow, what a difference!) which really cleans clothes much better than everything I had before. Moved into the Airstream and bought the Haier unit, and it cleans every bit as well as the Maytag, just much smaller.

I should also add that I'm pretty much stationary, so I don't have the complications of travel and no place to put anything, like at a campground.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #37
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
If I were in one spot for 6 months or more, I'd probably pick up some used machines cheap and put them in a shed. Since 220 power is usually not available at RV parks I'd have to get a gas dryer. Not sure how many loads I could dry on one of those rental propane tanks, but that is how I'd hook it up. With a regulator and proper burner orifice of course.
I have a propane clothes dryer in my stick house. Like nearly all of them it has a 20,000 BTU burner. The burner doesn't run all the time the dryer is running, which means you can pretty easily get 20-30 loads out of an exchange cylinder.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Gtl

I really like the idea of picking up a washer and dryer used, store in a shed and then sell when relocating but as I am not as stationary I have opted for portable gadgets to try to make an extended stay more comfortable and self sufficient.

I received the spin dryer and the Wonderwash and have tried them both. I am still awaiting the portable garment bag/rack/dryer and it has shipped from Orlando from my E-Bay savings transaction purchasing the dryer for $39.00 rather than $85.00. There was an over the door dryer ($39.00) but reviews and common sense seemed to indicate a high wattage appliance exiting into a long baffle before entry to the chamber with clothes would be risky at best and reports of smoke and fears of fire had me opting for the double priced garment bag that stands free and has the heater incorporated into the base and doubles as a heater for the room for my winter camping.

Don't know if any of you fine folks have fallen trap to any guilty pleasure of Jersey Shore and their GTL, gym tan and laundry, but I have the "gym" on order and will soon receive "Melt it off with Mitch" an Olympic gymnist exercise and low carb diet program that utilizes a 2# medicine ball and stretching and strenthening exercises that are suitable for the AS and low impact, supposedly able to burn 1000 calories during exercise and keep the metabolism going... Now if I can get some color, bronzer, we'll see...

The Wonderwash is a manual hand crank washing canister that is supposed to use 90 % less water and detergent and be an effective 'green" alternative from laundryalternative.com. Septic Tank Systems, Portable Washing Machine, Clothes Dryer You can stuff about 5 pounds of dry laundry into it with water and about a tablespoon or so of detergent to "pressure cook" your laundry in the canister giving you a cleaner wash with less time, detergent, water and wear and tear on your garments while being completely off grid. I selected a night gown, two shirts, a light weight sweater jacket, some underwear and socks for my first load. I added three pitchers of hot tap water and a tablespoon of Tide. Concentrated detergents and softeners are to be halved, and the normal amount of bleach or softener is 1 teaspoon per load. I cranked for a couple of minutes which was no chore but was a physical activity and welcomed. For those less enthused there is an electric Wonderwasher that agitates for up to 15 minutes. This manual machine and release tube performed exceptionally and is well made and sturdy especially for a price barely over $40.00. It will surely pay for itself in short time if utilized.

I emptied the water and refilled with clean rinse water and repeated. Some of the reviews suggested a second rinse with fabric softener so I did. Once you are familiar with correct ammounts of soap and water a single rinse would probably be more than satisfactory. From the Wonderwash chamber on the AS counter draining into a dish pan inside one of the twin sinks I emptied the clothes into another container and brought them to the spin dryer already located on the seat of the shower and draining into another container to empty rather than fill the holding tank. The total of waste water from the wash and rinse/drain cyles was about a sink and a half of water total.

Can clothes be happy? My shirts and sweater emerged almost dry only to be pulled into shape on a hanger and not the usual twisted linty mess from my washing machine. The mini spin dryer is 82 watts and spins at 1600 rpms supposedly twice that of an ordinary washer. I think the items will air dry in a few hours however I have an auxilliary dryer and rack on order. My white socks have never been cleaner especially without pretreating. The Wonderwash says the water is pressure forced through the clothes and I believe it was. The clothes were clean and fresh smelling and it seemed to be gentle but did a thorough job and was energy efficient and economical.

I am pleased with my unusual purchase. My DH thinks I am crazy. I asked him if he can dance, listen to his music and even have an adult beverage while taking his laundry to the mat.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #39

Currently Looking...
Enterprise , Alabama
Well, this is the topic that finally pulled me from lurking into actually making an account.

I'm in the research stage of completely renovating an older Aistream trailer and, as a result, I have a bit more room to play than if I were moving into a trailer as-is.

After reading through every thread I can find on the subject, I haven't seen anyone talk about the LG washer/dryer yet. I'm looking at this one and have heard great things, but nothing so far about TT living.

Could we bring this thread back from the dead one more time and discuss the LG Washer/Dryers?

Thanks!!
Nic
NicoleRanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
In all of my research I managed to obtain some photos of an Airstream washer/dryer installation that was being removed and put pack to normal. This was in a center bath unit which has a large closet on one side. The lower section of one half of the closet was taken up for the unit.

Power - The electrical panel was in the left half of the closet so it had been transplanted a few feet to the right. There was a large junction box behind the machine for splicing and extending wires.

Water - The city water inlet and water pump are right below the machine so cold water was no problem. Hot water was tied in under the galley sink (opposite side of the trailer) and routed down under the floor through the fresh water tank enclosure and over to the washing machine connections below the machine.

Drain - A standpipe with a trap had been installed in the back corner of the closet and the discharge went down through the floor and was tee'd into the sewer line between the outlet and the dump valves. You could only run the machine when you had a sewer hookup.

Dryer Vent - This was a vented unit and the vent went out through the exterior wall in the back of the closet.

Support - The person who did this installation had weleded up an aluminum frame to mount the machine above the wheel well. Wooden framing was added above and around the unit to hold it in place.

Obviously someone went through a lot of trouble to do that installation, and aside from doing the carpentry and electrical neater I don't think I would have done anything differently.

The person I got the photos from was removing the unit because it leaked and took up too much space. This was not an LG machine.

Christopher
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WD001.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	181668   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD002.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	181669  

blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote