Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Washer/Dryer

Hello friends!

Any of you full timers installed a W/D in your A/S?
How did you did it? hows it working? etc...
I have '80 Excella II Rear bath,center twin and i thought of taking the roadside twin out and making a custom closet to hold hanging clothes, W/D combo with the vent going through existing cargo storage door.................i would not have to make any cuts for the exhaust vent and it would be relatively close to the water heater (line would have to run thru the roadside closet to the water heater....no big deal)
Thoughts?
-Jason
Attached Images

jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Don't do it, Go to home depot or lowes and get one of those small shed buildings. Most dryers require a 220volts to run.
As for hot water that you could easily plumb to your outside and end it with a spicket so you can easily disconnect. You can run your electricity to the small bldg and wire up a plug for your a/s. Now you can still go camping if you wish.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Thanks Greg,
My plan is to install one that is specifically designed for TT applications.
Attached Images

jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You need to look closely at the capacities and weight of that type of unit. My understanding is that a set of sheets is a full load and can that 2+ hours to wash and dry. Many of the bigger Motor Homes have them, but most of the owners I have spoken to use them on travel days while running the genset.

I can understand the desire, but I would be concerned about the weight and how it could affect the towing characteristics of your trailer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IIRC the unit you are looking at actually has a 110volt dryer and they are brutally slow. We had an apartment sized unit that was 110v and it took all day to dry a load of clothes(or so it seemed). If the load happend to be blue jeans it would take 2.5 hours to dry. You can dry them faster than that outside on a sunny day. We have looked at a unit like the one you are considering, for what they cost I can make a lot of trips to the laundromat. Besides if I go to the laundromat I can use more than one machine at a time and get done faster

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I really lusted for the washer/dryer in our 34.5 motorhome and then we started traveling.
No one has mentioned that next to walking your dog the best place to met other full-timers is in the laundry.
I had a real thing against using the laundermats after not doing it for so long. But seriously it is a great way to find out about the area you are in from others. You are all stuck there in the campground laundry for the same reason. Also some of the campgrounds we have been in have the library, internet hook-up next to the laundry.
mareinmn
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Fort Scott , Kansas
We Had One

Although not in an Airstream, we did have one of the one piece units that both washed and dried. We had the unvented and our friends got the vented. One set of queen sheets took about an hour to wash and 90 minutes to dry. We had a lot of problems with leaks and the washer in general - my husband's "hobby" became that unit and he says he doesn't miss it but... The floor began to squeak in the area of the washer/dryer. I loved the convenience but it was a hassle. I would love to see someone come up with something really small and great that didn't shake, rattle and roll. Cathy
SnowGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i have a washer/dryer and ice maker that work like magic...

U.S.A. *: Miele, Inc. — Anything else is a compromise

don't get your panties in a wad, if you can't rub two nickles together, don't consider this company.

just sayin,

k.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1993 34' Limited
Quartzsite , Arizona
Hello,
I have a vented Splendie in my motorhome (not an AS :O ), and it works great! Just keep in mind that it is a SMALL machine, and the unvented will be very slow to dry. I wash the queen fitted sheet with a pillowcase (or other small items) and it will wash and dry in a timely manner....then wash the flat sheet and the laundry is done. I use the solar dryer when possible.
As for those heavy denim things....I don't have any. (it's a nudist thing!)
I think if you want the laundry system, install it....it is your AS, right? Just keep in mind the weight issues.
Enjoy your day!
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I would love a portable dryer to just do an occassional necessity. I can always hand wash and hang but drying in the Airstream takes forever. I wonder if this gizmo would hasten drying times.

Portable Spin Dryer from The Laundry Alternative : TreeHugger

and electricity free clothes washing.

Q&A. Electricity Free Clothes Washing : TreeHugger

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Here's an unusual one. I wonder if it would work.

Nester Portable Clothes Dryer and Clothes Caddy at HSN.com
Attached Images

photography
Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I bet it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Here's an unusual one. I wonder if it would work.

Nester Portable Clothes Dryer and Clothes Caddy at HSN.com
In college one of the girls in my dorm had a garment bag she regularly used with her hair dryer on low - it would dry one or two blouses with no trouble. Seems like a good idea if you have the space - of course a space heater in the shower with the roof vent open and running would probably work too. (Hm, I'll try it this weekend.)

For a washer, try a 5 gallon drywall compound bucket with lid, bungie cord it to the bed of your truck, drive and let the vibration agitate the water detergent and clothing. Not so good for jeans, but works for undies, blouses. Drain and refill to rinse.

Paula
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The single unit combo washer/dryers that I sell and service are from Splendide (made in Italy). They are sold in lots of RV outlets too, but very few folks know how to service them (not that they need a lot of service). I would NOT touch the Majestic brand machines, as they have very high repair rate and not-so-good tech support.

They are small units that run strictly on 120VAC and I see them in just about every large MoHo I go into (had one in mine also). Most folks use them all the time. The larger Pevost, Newell and other high-end coaches use true domestic 240VAC stack machines, but they also have 20KW generators that could power a small city!

They wash a load quite well, but you can't really dry the full load effectively with a 120VAC heating element. You have to halve the load, and then it dries in about an hour or so. The ventless units reguire a constant water flow to dry the clothes, and THEY take forever!

Also, remember, these machines weigh about 120lbs, so you have to plan very carefully for it's location with-in your trailer. I would also add a second sheet of plywood under the unit for additional strecgth and weight distribution.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
I had a low-voltage machine that I used in my apartment once. It took all day to do a few loads of laundry. I think it's easier to go to a laundromat.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
an immodest proposal

Ever tried using a salad spinner to wring out your undies?

P.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
LOL, you crack me up Paula. I am waiting to see how your test of the heater in the shower goes, our heater seems as if it might be too intense for the walls for any length of time, but not sure if we turned it down just how low it will heat.

I saw a towel warmer here.
Warmrails Towel Warmer - Wonderbar Towel & Drying Rack (wxw/wxc)

Wonderbar Towel & Drying Rack Features:
  • Portable - No assembly required
  • Hanging all purpose Warmer and Dryer Rack
  • Hangs on existing towel bar. Instructions included
  • Plugs into standard electrical outlet
  • Assembled dimensions - 18.5” w x 26.5” h x 1.75” d
  • 7’ power cord, entry on left or right side
  • Filatherm dry element, 45 watt rating, 120v AC
  • UL and CUL Listed
  • Chrome or White finishes
On average, Warmrail uses between 35 – 150 watts of electricity (compared to dryers that on average use 4,900 watts). You can really save on unnecessary laundry loads by keeping your towels dry and fresh between uses. Use your Warmrail instead of the clothes dryer and make some real energy savings

Keeps Towels Dry and Fresh Your Warmrail is designed to run safely and efficiently 24 hours a day. After using your towel, fold it to double thickness* and hang it over the Warmrail. The next time you reach for your towel it will be dry and warm. Even in the humid summer months the Warmrail will keeps your towels dry and stop them from smelling musty.

Control Bathroom Damp and Mildew
Warmrails aren't designed to heat rooms, but they do help to reduce dampness in poorly ventilated bathrooms. This is great news for rooms that suffer from mold and mildew growth. For this same reason, boat owners find that Warmrails are invaluable in drying out humid, damp sea air from boat cabins.

I would like dry undies, always a plus, LOL. And socks and washclothes and towels drying faster would be some more good things.
Attached Images

photography
Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Morris , Indiana
I have a Splendide. And have been using it for over 7 months outside the AS. It beats going to the laundry mat. It saves time and money. We are currently looking at ways to install it in our 73 AS.
Dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We considered adding one to the Silver Streak, but realized, in talking with those who already had a Splendide that there was no time savings. We would ask around about laundromats to find the one that had the newest machines and best appearance. We "filled out" our wardrobe of clothes to be able to go about 10-14 days and then would hit the laundromat with 7washer loads and be out in a couple of hours with everything dried, folded and hung. I also made this my day to wash the truck and we would also go for any non-grocery shopping.

Worked very well for over seven months.

Splendide was the only machine I heard reasonable comments about from the three service techs I asked; all cautioned that difficult installations also made for difficult service.

I had the space in the bathroom (one of two closets) and the hookups would have been easy. Decided I'd rather spend the same money on a built-in vacuum and some electrical system upgrades.

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Morris , Indiana
I have a Splendide in my AS. Works great. We took out the heater and oven. And put the W/D in that space. Bought a convection/Micro to replace the oven. And we never used the heater.
Dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Ever tried using a salad spinner to wring out your undies?

P.
Hey Paula,

Did that one time, but the next time I fixed salad my wife wouldn't eat it!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote