Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Ready to purchase AC unit. Need input.

I am ready to purchase a new air conditioner for my 1958 Flying Cloud. I removed the rat infested factory original and gave it the old heave ho off the roof.

Those of you that have bought AC units in the last five years, if you could do it again, would you buy the same unit or get something else and why. They are all generally about the same price, I do want a low profile one, which may limit my choices, but still want to hear of brands or models to avoid.

Thanks!

Matt
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I got a Carrier low profile for my former Airstream and had absolutely no problems with it during two years of regular use. It was a 13.5k model, and was quiet, with no vibration, unlike some I have seen. I would buy again.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Here's a thread about my daughter's problems with a BRAND NEW Dometic Penguin Low Profile

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/help-im-roasting-67933.html

Bad customer service, not well trained techs

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Carrier has a good reputation but reportedly they dropped their RV line. There are some units still on the market but availability is scarce. Parts shouldn't be an issue for the foreseeable future but eventually those resources will dry up.

If I were in the market and found one to buy I wouldn't hesitate to snatch it up.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I too would not consider Dometic. I installed a new 15k Penguin last fall on a 53 Flying Cloud. The first unit had a bad compressor, it would run for a few minutes then start violently vibrating and at that point the amperage draw would start climbing from around 12 to over 17 at which point I would shut it down. Dometic warrantied it because the compressor was trying to seize. Then comes the replacement unit. Install it, it runs well, amperage draw is within specs. But, after it cools for about 10 minutes or so the evaporator coil begins to ice up at which the thermal switch would shut down the compressor and thus end any cooling. After many hours of diagnosis on the phone with Dometic they warranty that unit out, though they could never figure out why it was acting up. Now I wouldn't trust one to come out of the box and operate as it should.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I got a Carrier low profile for my former Airstream and had absolutely no problems with it during two years of regular use. It was a 13.5k model, and was quiet, with no vibration, unlike some I have seen. I would buy again.
Ditto on the above - with just the fan running you can't even hear it 10 feet from the trailer. We purchased here: FAMILY RV CENTER ll - Home

I talked to this dealer a couple weeks ago about Carrier exiting the line - they said a deal was in the works to sell the unit to another company that would contiue to build them.... that's their side of it anyway....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
We installed a Carrier Low Profile 13.5 and have been happy with it for the two years we have been using it. The only thing I must say is that you have to ensure the filters are clean, the smallest amount of dirt will cause it to freeze up. Otherwise it works great.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I bought Carrier 15K low profile also. Can't report on how good or bad it is since I haven't turned it on yet. Upper unit is installed and looks much better than the old Armstrong!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote