Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to AirGT65
Propex replacement furnace?

We recently bought a 1965 20' Globetrotter twin. The previous owners removed the original furnace and were using a small space heater. I have been looking at a 10,000 BTU Propex HS2800 furnace from Britain as a possible replacement, for whatever was there before. Small size, low battery draw and high efficiency make the unit more appealing to me than the standard (Suburban, etc.) RV furnaces. They are used extensively in van converstion projects, but I haven't heard of one in a small Airstream like ours. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
AirGT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I like the looks of it, is 10KBTU enough?

I noticed the brand name is a Uponor trademark violation.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Interesting to see your post about the Propex- I was just going to post to ask about other's experiences with small furnaces, after camping three chilly nights in our Globetrotter in the Sierras. I had been lusting after the smaller Propex kit, but was stalled by the cost. I found the 12000 btu Dometic Mojave, and am thinking I might go that route. Curious to hear what others have to say.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Propex replacement furnace?

I never did install a replacement furnace in our 1966 20' Globetrotter. Thanks for the lead on the other brand. I'll download the manuals and look at the specs.
Originally, I was going to install a Propex furnace in our 30' pleasure trawler, since they were designed in England for use in small boats. Then we traded our boat for the Airstream. A local shop installs them in lots of vans with great results. They checked out our Airstream and said it would be an easy fit in the bottom of the former furnace cabinet. Low propane consumption, quietness, ease and low cost of installation($1,500 total), very low amp draw and small size are strong points. The unit also vents through the bottom of the vehicle, so I don't have to put holes in the side. Seems like a good bet, but I'm still very open to other options. If you haven't already, check out the specs on the Propex website. https://www.propexheatsource.com/hea...s2800-furnace/
There are also YouTube videos.
I'll have the winter to think about it, since we are putting our rig to sleep, under cover, for the winter. Please let me know your opinions and what you decide to do.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
I like the looks of it, is 10KBTU enough?

I noticed the brand name is a Uponor trademark violation.
Hi, I just saw the message you posted months ago about my Propex furnace question. Here are a couple quick responses. 1) Since that model is used extensively in 30' boats, I was told that 10,000 BTUs was more than enough for my 20' Globetrotter. It is used in vans that camp in arctic conditions, something I will never do. 2) I've never heard of the trademark violation issue before. I believe that the other company with the similar product name (ProPEX, I think) doesn't make similar products. Sort of like Apple records versus Apple electronics, I assume.
I'm going to wait through the winter, with our rig in covered storage, before I make my furnace decision next spring.
All the best!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I considered the Propex but was put off a bit by the cost and the different venting required compared to a normal RV furnace. I ended up getting an Atwood 12,000 btu/hr RV furnace (model 8012-ll). It has about the same output as the Propex, but is not as efficient. This is a smaller unit than the original 20,000 btu/hr unit but it should be adequate for our needs. It has a similar low electrical draw of 1.8 amps, compared to the Propex, which is really important to me as we boondock exclusively. The cost was only about $500 including shipping and a thermostat. I haven’t installed it yet.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	325019
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Thanks for the reply Dan! Please let me know how the installation and performance turn out with the Atwood 8012-II.
Unlike your AS, the previous owners of our AS had the exterior panel replaced where the furnace exhaust came out. The Propex unit wouldn't require cutting a new vent hole in the side skin, since it vents through the bottom. I like that. The smaller Propex size also appeals to me, since that cabinet is now used for storing our bedding. I can put in a false bottom over the unit, and still use the cabinet. I could actually install it anywhere that I have the space, since it has flexible ducting.
The heat output is about the same for the two units (Atwood=9,120 BTU, Propex=9,500 BTUs). The Propex pushes 85 C.F.M. of air, but I can't tell what the air output of the Atwood is, from the Vintage Trailer Supply listing https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-349.htm
If I get the Propex I have the option of ducting out multiple warm air outlets.
As you can tell, I'm still leaning toward the Propex, but I like the Atwood's lower price too. Again, please let me know how you like the Atwood, once you get it installed.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
The Propex furnace installation was expensive (about $1,700, including labor) but works great - with minimum space needed in our storage cabinet and no vent holes in the side of the trailer.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGT65 View Post
The Propex furnace installation was expensive (about $1,700, including labor) but works great - with minimum space needed in our storage cabinet and no vent holes in the side of the trailer.

I am glad you are happy with your Propex. That is all that matters.
Could you please post some photos? Others may want to follow your lead.

I have only partially installed my furnace. I got sidetracked on some house projects.

Dan
Old 12-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I am glad you are happy with your Propex. That is all that matters.
Could you please post some photos? Others may want to follow your lead.

I have only partially installed my furnace. I got sidetracked on some house projects.

Dan
Hi TouringDan - thanks for the invitation to post some photos of our Propex 2800 furnace. So far, it seems perfect for our updated 1966 20' Globetrotter. Hidden in the bottom of our bedding storage cabinet, it takes up minimal space, uses very little propane and battery power, maintains a fairly constant temperature, AND vents through the bottom of the trailer - rather than the side. Here is a website: https://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/heaters/hs2800
Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020677.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	357964   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020682.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	357965  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020683.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	357966   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020685.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	357967  

Old 06-07-2020, 11:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks for posting the pictures, and for the feedback on the furnace. We have not done anything yet, but are moving to the east coast with the trailer, and might enjoy heat in the trailer, sometimes. Our installation would be in the same type of location and cabinet, as our Globetrotters had the same kind of furnace originally. It looks like the cold air intake and hot air register are next to each other in your installation?
Old 06-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
We are still very happy with the Propex furnace. It heated up the trailer a few days ago in rainy, 50 degree weather and reached 70 degrees in about 10 minutes. The blower is a bit loud for my taste, but less than I remember from other trailer furnaces. As I mentioned in earlier posts, we really wanted to have a unit that vents through the bottom of the traler, rather than the side. Previous owner had replaced the outside aluminum panel and I didn't want to punch a hole in it. Problem solved. The placement of the interior intake and heating vents next to each other works fine for us. We rotate the vanes on the vents in opposite directions. You can also get extension tubing, if that would work better for you. Heat seems pretty even throughout the trailer with our setup.
By the way, I see that you live in Sea Ranch, CA. Pretty area, from when I went to a company retreat there many years ago. Hope you are moving to an equally scenic place on the east coast. All the best.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks so much AirGT65 for the response with your experience living with a Propex. I was hoping to reuse the existing round exhaust vent, and want to avoid replacing the whole exterior panel. I really like the idea that the furnace vents under the trailer, for fewer penetrations to waterproof, but might use the side exhaust to prevent CO from entering our leaky trailer. As for the move, we're going to a very scenic place on the east coast, and are actually taking the trailer across the country in a few days. I imagine we might make more use of the heating system on the east coast than we have in CA Sea Ranch has been great, and been a part of my life for decades. Everyone should see that part of the world at some point in their lives, experience the natural and the built environment there. All the best to you, happy travels!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Have a gerat time back east!
Since you want to use the side exhaust vent, rather than going through the bottom, you may want to check out the furnaces mentioned in earlier posts on this thread. If our trailer didn't have the new exterior side panel, several other options looks promising. The propex was originally designed for small (30') pleasure craft, so the through-hull fittings needed to be smaller than on a trailer. The unit is also smaller, so more room for other stuff in that compartment. Other options cost less to install too.
We're off today for a few days at a state park on our coast. Great to get out from under the virus lock down for a few days.
Again, have a great trip and new home on the east coast.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
AirGT65, thanks. I was drawn to the Propex because of the small size, and I thought it was a really nice design. The downside is the cost When I've upgraded stuff on the trailer, I've tended to use marine grade rather than RV. Retiring early and moving back east, I suddenly have time to do all the work to the trailer that I've wanted to, and it's needed, for years. Thanks and take care
Old 06-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Have a good trip across the country. I hope you enjoy your new home and your retirement.
Most of the cost of the Propex unit for me was the installation. A local shop here in Tacoma installs the units in Volkwagen Westphalia vans, The small size and economy of use makes it ideal for tight spaces like that, and small trailers. They do a booming business - and charge a lot for the work. About $1,700 total. I was willing to pay for their experience and skill. Especially in working with propane line extensions and connections. You can reduce the cost considerably if you do the work yourself - now that you are retired.
All the best.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks- we just arrived today after 6 days and 3120 miles from California to Rhode Island, and we had an absolute blast. Truck stops and Walmart parking lots are just fine, even in summer and without air con or even electricity. For the heating system, my inclination has always been to do work on the trailer myself, mostly because I couldn't find anyone else to do it. The heating system isn't daunting, and after 5 nights boondocking at truck stops, I'm stoked to spend time working on the trailer.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGT65 View Post
Thanks for the reply Dan! Please let me know how the installation and performance turn out with the Atwood 8012-II.

Unlike your AS, the previous owners of our AS had the exterior panel replaced where the furnace exhaust came out. The Propex unit wouldn't require cutting a new vent hole in the side skin, since it vents through the bottom. I like that. The smaller Propex size also appeals to me, since that cabinet is now used for storing our bedding. I can put in a false bottom over the unit, and still use the cabinet. I could actually install it anywhere that I have the space, since it has flexible ducting.

The heat output is about the same for the two units (Atwood=9,120 BTU, Propex=9,500 BTUs). The Propex pushes 85 C.F.M. of air, but I can't tell what the air output of the Atwood is, from the Vintage Trailer Supply listing https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-349.htm

If I get the Propex I have the option of ducting out multiple warm air outlets.

As you can tell, I'm still leaning toward the Propex, but I like the Atwood's lower price too. Again, please let me know how you like the Atwood, once you get it installed.

AirGT65- Well, It took a while, but I finally completed the Atwood 8012-ll furnace installation in our 66 Tradewind. This was definitely the best furnace to go with as I installed it where the original furnace was and it was a similar design- cold air returns sort of ducted back to the furnace, side exhaust to the exterior and heated air discharge through a grill to the trailer interior, ie. no discharge into ductwork. I really like the furnace as it is very small, about the same size as the Propex hs2800, very low current draw of 1.8 amp, inexpensive at $450 and very quiet, 51 dB. Unfortunately I don’t believe this furnace is available any longer. Atwood was bought by Dometic in 2017. For more information and photos I have a write up in my project thread- Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements. Here are some photos. The grille looks kind of vintage which I kinda like.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6379.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	371670Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6360.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	371671