Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Moon Township , Pennsylvania
Dometic CCC2 Issues --Bad Control Board?

I am having an intermittent problem with the Dometic Model 651815 A/C unit with the CCC2 thermostat on my 2011 Flying Cloud 23FB. The unit will run fine for a day or two then the A/C will not work. When this happens the inside temperature reads correctly when the system is turned off at the CCC2 thermostat. When the system is turned on at the CCC2 thermostat the inside temperature reads low and could be as much as 50 F degrees low which causes the A/C not to work. I can turn on the fan, heat pump, etc but not the A/C. The opposite happens when it is cold outside and the furnace will continuously run since it inside temperature is reading low when the system is on. Sometimes I can disconnect from all the power and the system seems to correct itself for a short time.

I have had the unit to the Airstream dealer that I bought it from and they could not replicate the problem and thought it might be a bad thermostat. They sold me a new CC2 thermostat which didn’t solve the problem. I did the reset for both the old and new thermostats and they both functioned the same way as seen in the video ( https://youtu.be/j9o5tELbsps ).

I contacted Dometic and they were no help. All that they would tell me to do is go to one of their authorized service centers. I contacted 3 Dometic service centers in my area and all they say they never head of this happening or that they are not familiar with the CCC2. Thinking it might be the control board one of the Dometic reps said that he needed to know if it was an analog or digital board. When I showed him my Dometic paperwork which said that the board for my unit was a CCC2 Board he said he wasn’t again familiar and needed to contact Dometic. I haven’t heard back.

From other posts that I found on this forum it appears others have experienced similar issues:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ot-132777.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...7fb-79802.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...s-79282-3.html

I was hoping to see if anyone else has had similar issues and if they think it could be the control board or something else. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.
AK119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK119 View Post
I am having an intermittent problem with the Dometic Model 651815 A/C unit with the CCC2 thermostat on my 2011 Flying Cloud 23FB. The unit will run fine for a day or two then the A/C will not work. When this happens the inside temperature reads correctly when the system is turned off at the CCC2 thermostat. When the system is turned on at the CCC2 thermostat the inside temperature reads low and could be as much as 50 F degrees low which causes the A/C not to work. I can turn on the fan, heat pump, etc but not the A/C. The opposite happens when it is cold outside and the furnace will continuously run since it inside temperature is reading low when the system is on. Sometimes I can disconnect from all the power and the system seems to correct itself for a short time.

I have had the unit to the Airstream dealer that I bought it from and they could not replicate the problem and thought it might be a bad thermostat. They sold me a new CC2 thermostat which didn’t solve the problem. I did the reset for both the old and new thermostats and they both functioned the same way as seen in the video ( https://youtu.be/j9o5tELbsps ).

I contacted Dometic and they were no help. All that they would tell me to do is go to one of their authorized service centers. I contacted 3 Dometic service centers in my area and all they say they never head of this happening or that they are not familiar with the CCC2. Thinking it might be the control board one of the Dometic reps said that he needed to know if it was an analog or digital board. When I showed him my Dometic paperwork which said that the board for my unit was a CCC2 Board he said he wasn’t again familiar and needed to contact Dometic. I haven’t heard back.

From other posts that I found on this forum it appears others have experienced similar issues:

I was hoping to see if anyone else has had similar issues and if they think it could be the control board or something else. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.
You could have a bad remote temperature sensor (if it's used on your model). It is a 2" dome attached to an interior wall somewhere that gives the CCC-II it's temperature readings for the control functions.

If you don't have one on the wall, it might be located above the air distribution box in the return air flow.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
I don't believe I have the optional indoor temperature sensor. If I recall when I had the unit at the Airstream dealer the service technician said that the indoor temperature sensor was in the CCC2 thermostat.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
I don't believe I have the optional indoor temperature sensor. If I recall when I had the unit at the Airstream dealer the service technician said that the indoor temperature sensor was in the CCC2 thermostat.
If that is the type of installation that you have in your trailer, then you would logically have to eliminate that sensor from the problem possibilities. That leaves the communication connections (which are very susceptible to failure in the RJ-11 'unions' that are found directly below the A/C unit) or the control board.

I would change the unions first as they are significantly easier to reach and far cheaper to replace than the control board.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
In the video I posted when I have this intermittent issue with the inside temperate reading approximately 50 degrees low I am still able from the CCC2 Thermostat to start the heat pump, turn on the fans, etc depending on the inside temperature the unit is reading when the system is on. For example in the summer with the temperature is warmer but the inside temp is reading in the 30's the A/C won't work but I can get the furnace, heat pump etc to come on. I guess what I am questioning is I think the system is communicating since I can control some of the other functions.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
In the video I posted when I have this intermittent issue with the inside temperate reading approximately 50 degrees low I am still able from the CCC2 Thermostat to start the heat pump, turn on the fans, etc depending on the inside temperature the unit is reading when the system is on. For example in the summer with the temperature is warmer but the inside temp is reading in the 30's the A/C won't work but I can get the furnace, heat pump etc to come on. I guess what I am questioning is I think the system is communicating since I can control some of the other functions.
Your control systems are functioning based on the spurious temp readings that the control board is seeing. Once you determine the cause of the erroneous temp readings, your problem will be solved.

You might give the Airstream factory a call to see IF they used a remote temp sensor and if so....where it is located. I have seen them placed in the upper unit's air distribution box.

My thinking is that you must have one, since charging the CCC-2 did not solve the problem. IF your system was using the internal sensor in the CCC-2, a new unit should have alleviated the bad readings.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:

I had a similar problem with one of the air conditioners on my 27FB. Zone 1, which is in the bedroom does not have the remote temp sensor. The issue was the unused com cable on this unit was getting wet creating a short that would make the thermostat read 32 degrees. Once the cable dried it would start working again. After running for a while condensation would build up and cause it to re-malfunction.

The fix is to remove the interior panel (non ducted, unsure of access for ducted air), find the com cable and seal the end with tape or other method. Also make sure it's not resting in a channel that collects water.

Hope this helps. It was very frustrating for us trying to figure this out. Like you we had also bought a new cc2 but of course that wasn't the issue.
dsaxon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks for the input. Last summer I searched through the forum I came across this issue in several threads and the recommendation to make sure that the com cable connections were clean and dry. So I removed the interior panel and checked the connections as well as the unused com cable connection. I also wrapped all the connections with plastic film and tape which did not solve my problem.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
A quick update on the issue that appears to be solved. First I was able to verify with the factory that the 23FB does not have an internal temperature sensor except for the CCC2 thermostat. What appears to be the problem was a bad control module. Thanks to the helpful service from Ansley RV (a new Airstream dealer) for taking the time to help troubleshoot over the phone and order me the part. Several trip this summer so far in Pennsylvania in hot humid weather and unit working perfectly.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
[QUOTE=AK119;1985168]A quick update on the issue that appears to be solved. First I was able to verify with the factory that the 23FB does not have an internal temperature sensor except for the CCC2 thermostat. What appears to be the problem was a bad control board. Thanks to the helpful service from Ansley RV (a new Airstream dealer) for taking the time to help troubleshoot over the phone and order me the part. Several trip this summer so far in Pennsylvania in hot humid weather and unit working perfectly.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Control Module Part #?

Could you post the part number or maybe a picture or link to the part? I have the same problem.
DTMurrell is offline   Reply With Quote