Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
A/C vent not blowing Air

Hi All,

Help please.

Just noticed that both my A/C units does not blow air out of the right side vent only (vent on the street side). Vent on the left side and both ends blow air forcefully all the time on both units, when open. If I shut off all vents except the right vent, air will come out forcefully on the right side.

If air comes out all of the vents forcefully when open, why would it not come out of the right vent?

Took the unit to Colonial, a couple of weeks back, they stated "Duct work not connected properly in both A/C units. Connected duct coming from fan." I took their word for it and did not check it before I left. All I can tell you, I still have the same problem.

Now thinking about it, how does these units have duct work?

We are now up in Mass., with another appointment scheduled to address this issue.

Any help would be appreciated to help me understand and address this issue.

Thanks.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I suspect there is nothing wrong. Air flow off a fan will have high and low areas of flow depending on the internal configuration of the unit. If you want to increase the flow in that one direction you my want to choke down the other vent a little. This is known in heating and air conditioning as balancing.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks HowieE,

Your info is much appreciated. Education means a lot when you do not have any. My A/C works great. I am just trying to cover all of my bases, now that the warranty will be running out in a couple of months.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider View Post
Hi All,

Help please.

Just noticed that both my A/C units does not blow air out of the right side vent only (vent on the street side). Vent on the left side and both ends blow air forcefully all the time on both units, when open. If I shut off all vents except the right vent, air will come out forcefully on the right side.

If air comes out all of the vents forcefully when open, why would it not come out of the right vent?

Took the unit to Colonial, a couple of weeks back, they stated "Duct work not connected properly in both A/C units. Connected duct coming from fan." I took their word for it and did not check it before I left. All I can tell you, I still have the same problem.

Now thinking about it, how does these units have duct work?

We are now up in Mass., with another appointment scheduled to address this issue.

Any help would be appreciated to help me understand and address this issue.

Thanks.
There is no 'duct work' per se in these units, but they do employ a square shaped air plenum that directs the exhaust air coming from the evaporator fan opening of the unit to the plastic air distribution box where your adjustable vents are located. This is what Colonial was probably referring to.

If you still have this problem, I would take down the plastic air box and look inside it to be sure that the plenum material is properly fastened all around it's housing.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks Lewster,

This is good to know how the system really works. I am scheduled to take my unit to a Dealership in New England, of course, who did not seem too concerned this is an issue. However, we are to discuss it again when we bring it in. This info will definitely help to discuss it intelligently. If not a positive response, there will be other places to take it before the warranty expires. Thanks again.