Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
..... Panasonic is 30% more energy efficient .....
Hi

I think you will find that there is a magnetron in your microwave. They date back to the 1930's and are a pretty mature technology. They are typically up above 80% in terms of converting electricity into microwave energy. It would be very difficult to add another 30% to that ....

Transfer of the microwave energy to the contents depends a bit on what sort of stuff it is. Salt cubes don't heat very well in a microwave With most foods energy transfer is quite high. Again, tough to bump up by 30%.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:52 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
We replaced the Magic Chef range in our Excella with a two burner gas cooktop set in a new Corian countertop. We never used more than one burner at a time and never used the oven at all in the factory arrangement. Gained a bit of countertop space and still have the ability to cook without electricity.
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:20 AM   #23
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
Trying to get the best of both I removed my gas cooktop and oven and replaced with Breville smart oven air and a True Induction dual fuel cooktop. I love them both. We Boondocker a fair amount so the one propane burner is useful. I’ve cooked thanksgiving Turkey in the Breville and now have one in my home base as well as the rig. I’ve had this setup for 4 plus years and it has worked really well.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:58 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Love it!

We'd never go back to gas! Induction is so controllable compared to gas.

If you're the type that preps as you cook, you're going to have to retrain yourself to prep before you start cooking. It's that fast!
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:09 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
We too have a portable induction cooktop that I can use on the stovetop or take outside. In addition to the speed of getting to cooking temperature, you’re not dealing with the excess heat that propane releases. It can get pretty hot when you light that burner.

My 2 cent.
T Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Secret to induction cooking

It’s the pans you choose. Copper to disperse the heat and magnetic steel or iron for efficient transfer from top. . Love induction only with good induction pans. One guide is heavier than lighter. Once you transition you will love it too. Hard to get used to at first as heat goes into pan instantly so have all your ingredients ready
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcj View Post
Your post link goes to CU Anschutz Medical Campus website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
Sorry, here is the correct link.
I have updated the original link to match the corrected one.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Thanks to all that replied. I will most likely stick with propane for now to make boondocking easier. Will go with something a bit more modern, some like this unit - https://pantherrvproducts.com/50216g...gaAsvzEALw_wcB
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschupp View Post
Trying to get the best of both I removed my gas cooktop and oven and replaced with Breville smart oven air and a True Induction dual fuel cooktop. I love them both. We Boondocker a fair amount so the one propane burner is useful. I’ve cooked thanksgiving Turkey in the Breville and now have one in my home base as well as the rig. I’ve had this setup for 4 plus years and it has worked really well.
Looks pretty nice: https://www.trueinduction.com/Single...ouble-Gas.aspx
Expect you can not run with the inverter, right? So having the 2 propane burners is a plus. Never used induction..always been a "gas" cooker myself...looking at appliances for new home we are building in Star Valley Ranch, WY this year..they want us to go electric for heat and appliances since electricity so cheap in WY. This might be a great option for the kitchen?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
Thanks to all that replied. I will most likely stick with propane for now to make boondocking easier. Will go with something a bit more modern, some like this unit - https://pantherrvproducts.com/50216g...gaAsvzEALw_wcB
I hear you, but look at the unit I posted above. I am not using induction...yet...but this dual fuel unit looks mighty tempting. Best of both worlds? If indeed, induction proves to be more efficient, this unit may be the way to go with a cooktop for boondocking or when you have power!

https://www.trueinduction.com/Single...ouble-Gas.aspx
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I got a deal on a single burner induction unit - stand alone style with borderless tempered glass top...

In tests versus large Panasonic microwave the induction boiled a liter of water about 10% faster, I was chuffed and put it in the AS camping stash...

Come time to use it in the Pine Woods of Minnesota: The same magnetic pulses that heat the pan also try to levitate it, so even with a good bit of food in a frying pan IF the galley counter is not level the sauce/frying pans get a potion-of-motion rattle and creep downhill...

True - its self limiting since the hidden coils are centered in glass cooktop and pan goes not get all the lifting thrust once it is way off center so usually can't leap off the edge to spill... but with larger pan & heavy handle hanging off and lopsided food its could be a real problem if things go jiggly clumsy around & to get dumped...

Also, it is the unwatched pot never boils kind of thing since it has walked off the heat every time you look away - so fence in the induction plate : )

Edit: somewhere I have video of my breakfast running away, for the disbelievers)
Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Level

Level ur unit
Old 02-10-2022, 09:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The induction cooktops look great but most state, county, city, and federal campgrounds west of the the Rockies do not provide electric hookups as a rule. How does one get by in places like that?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The induction cooktops look great but most state, county, city, and federal campgrounds west of the the Rockies do not provide electric hookups as a rule. How does one get by in places like that?
Inverter or use your generator...you have do have a generator, no?
Old 02-11-2022, 11:03 AM   #35
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
If those are the places you typically camp, then perhaps an induction burner is not the best option.

If it would be rare for you to be away from hookups, bring along a counter top portable propane burner, which you could use outside on the picnic table as well as inside.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Not a problem for us (as I originally stated), we most often are in campgrounds with 30A or 50A hookups, or boondock in a place where we can run our 2 Honda generators. So it would be extremely rare for us to be without power.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If those are the places you typically camp, then perhaps an induction burner is not the best option.

If it would be rare for you to be away from hookups, bring along a counter top portable propane burner, which you could use outside on the picnic table as well as inside.
Yea, if your not going electric, the single burner portable single grill is a great option. We have one I got "used" several years back. I use outside when we are camping most mornings. It is small, uses a small propane canister, and works great. Coleman Tabletop Portable Butane Gas Camping Stove, around $20. The one we have has a nice cardboard case for storage/travel.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:48 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Yea, if your not going electric, the single burner portable single grill is a great option. We have one I got "used" several years back. I use outside when we are camping most mornings. It is small, uses a small propane canister, and works great. Coleman Tabletop Portable Butane Gas Camping Stove, around $20. The one we have has a nice cardboard case for storage/travel.
Hi

When the magic butane cartridge for your little burner thing runs out .... find a local Asian grocery store. They likely have them on the shelf. In some areas they are stocked in a range of stores so no need to go looking. In other areas ... not so much.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:35 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

When the magic butane cartridge for your little burner thing runs out .... find a local Asian grocery store. They likely have them on the shelf. In some areas they are stocked in a range of stores so no need to go looking. In other areas ... not so much.

Bob
I always worried about finding those little bottles, but found most hardware and many grocery stores carry now days...I usually pick up a few bottles. They do last quite a long time.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:37 PM   #40
Globey

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Wayne , Pennsylvania
I am on my first trip with a separate induction cooktop, and I love it. As long as you can get your cooking organized using only one burner and you are plugged in is so much better. I just sit mine on top of the gas range
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooking with induction.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	430299
scottj is offline   Reply With Quote