Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Why ammonia smell

72 overlander newer frig Domestic brand , been sitting , not colling but in freezer compartment smells like ammonia can this be fixed or is a new one in order?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
The ammonia smell is the smell of death to the frig. Likely will need a new one. Some folks replace the cooling unit to save a few bucks but best bet is to probably replace the entire frig. Been there myself. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Sean,
Sorry to hear about the fridge. It is possible to replace just the cooling unit with a new/rebuilt unit. I'm sure you have the skills required to complete this task. Here are a couple of places that sell rebuilt units. I've never used them, so I'd check the forums for a solid recommendation.
RV Cooling Unit Warehouse LLC Home Page
RVCOOL.COM - Supplier of rebuilt cooling units for Norcold and Dometic RV Refrigerators.
RV Mobile, RV and Gas Refrigerators
Good luck,

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
As noted above....cooling unit needs replacement.

IMO...Might be cost effective IF the unit is less than 5yrs old. Otherwise easier and quicker to replace the whole kit & caboodle.

Bob
Old 08-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
THANKS GUYS good to here from you TOP the overlander we just picked up from a guy in Austin for a friend that was at the rally they been wanting and airstream ended up with the same year as mine just smaller version. I just did the floor in it last week replaced all the water lines with Pex, and new converter with fuse box all last week but was not able to test all the systems turns out it has a new 10 gal water heater, surb furnace, black tank and water pump all newer within last few years, AC same as mine and works great the frig is to be 4 years new but the deadly smell I will see what they want to do I think they may want a new one. funny thing they are full timers on their 2nd year now and always wanted a airstream after seeing ours they caught the bug , they are going to sell their 2010 33 foot SOB trailer now that they have the overlander , now thats a true airstreamer. I think a polish is in order for them real soon. Sean