Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
What and where to look

If we decide on an Airstream for our FT RV, it will be a used one. I've noticed some concerns on various forums about floors rotting on some Airstreams, and that concerns me. Where are the trouble spots with the larger (30-34 foot) rigs from around 2000?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Fundamentally, all RV's leak. It is the result of dragging your vacation "home" hither and yon over different surfaces at different temperatures.

As Airstreams tend to last longer (lots longer, actually), sooner or later everyone gets to deal with water damage.

On my '86 (almost a 1990), the area immedaitely adjecent to the door was rotted -- water came up through the step enclosure. The front 2 feet of the floor was also rotted -- leaks under the front window...

Look around on Craigslist, Check the Airforums classifieds. Do NOT buy a unit sight unseen unless a member of this forum has looked at it for you.

Take an awl, or simple ice pick and poke around through the carpet, or the edges of the floor wherever you can reach. Look for discolorations.

Don't let it be deal stopper -- just a negotiating point unless it is widespread.

My '31 has big fresh, grey and black tanks, lots of closets and follows my Titan like a happy puppy. We live in it 6 months of every year and like it lots.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
trouble spots would include vista windows, if it has them. around the water heater and rear storage door. front door. check under the sofa at the front. check under the matt in the storage areas. under water heater. take a little hammer and tap where you can reach. musty smell needs to be checked out. small repairs to the floor are relatively minor to cut out the damaged and patch in some new plywood. large areas of damage are a lot bigger repair. lots of times the leaked water travels down inside the walls and into the channel that holds the subfloor.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Never noticed this musty smell under the bathroom sink...

Hi, I've had my trailer for about 3 weeks now. We camped in it on the way home from WA to OH and then again for 3 days last week. I never before noticed a musty smell under the bathroom sink. Now I do and I'm freaking!
I don't see any water - I will say that we kept the coach pretty cool with the A/C last week because we had our dogs with us. When we turned it off (really hot and humid outside), I think condensation formed on some walls (in the closet).

I'm not sure how to approach this - the floor is cork but when I opened the door under the sink compartment I see about 3" of carpet inside it. I plan to go into that compartment and clean it very well (I notice some ant traps and decon containers from PO) I'm tempted to throw a bucket of bleach in there (I know this is a mistake - I'm kidding).

Has anyone ever used those tubs of stuff you just leave open to attract moisture away from your good stuff?

I'm freaking in OHIO!
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
When you went from cold to hot you saw a natural effect of humidity. We were camping this weekend and has moisture form on the walls when we went from 72 to mid 80s with rain outside. I use the damp rid buckets (2) to keep the moisture down when I'm storing her and run the AC to keep it down during the day. At night with two adults and two labs breathing it (19 ft Bambi) can also raise the humidity up so I run the fantastic fan on low with the ac running and it drops it back down. If you could remove the carpet that would be your best bet. But clean and dry it with a fan if you can't get it out. Have fun!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi palmtreegirl, I recommend trying a dehumidifier. For years I resisted buying one, due to our storage space issues. But a couple of years ago, when confronted with having to spend a month in St. Louis (in the summer), I broke down and bought one anyway. Well let me tell you, now I won't "leave home without it" (summer OR winter).
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Hi palmtreegirl, I recommend trying a dehumidifier. For years I resisted buying one, due to our storage space issues. But a couple of years ago, when confronted with having to spend a month in St. Louis (in the summer), I broke down and bought one anyway. Well let me tell you, now I won't "leave home without it" (summer OR winter).
Would you share what brand, size, etc.? Sound like something I might be interested in!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I bought the smallest Frigidaire (25 pints), from Best Buy.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
just because it seems like this might be the place to ask... we got leaks... we know where most all come from: windows, roof vents & a curb side nose puncture wound... but I have a mystery leak... I found a damp floor on opposite side from puncture... there is water below puncture area so my question is... could they both be from same puncture?

unfortunately we have to wait for the rains to stop before we can fix obvious leaks... & can't fix puncture until next payday... ugh... water... can't live w/out it... don't want to live w/it
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
@palmtreegirl: when I bought my 34' i had some strange musty smells once the AS sat closed up. I fortunately have power where I store the AS and also use a dehumidifier. My dehumidifier has both an internal pump and a thermostat (it will maintain a specified humidity). I have found that these two options on the dehumidifier are great for "hands off" and storage operation.
The dehumidifier has really helped! (I got the idea from a friends sailboat)
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
That's great advice - I'm going to look into one. Thanks!

Aluminomad - that's a shame about the water - I'm not experienced enough to give advice on that subject but I feel for you.....hope you get that worked out soon.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
This runs on 12v and DC

Hey, I googled dehumidifiers - found this one:
Description & Advantages
What do you think of this? Too small? Cool that it runs on 12v + DC.....You might be able to rig it to drain into the holding tank or outside....might be an option - I'm going to see what they cost.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Well, forget that one - seems to be out of business (phone disconnected) - found another one though -
Basement Moisture Problems | Solve Basement Moisture Problems | Get Rid of Dampness in Basement
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I've looked around for the best price on the 2 litre size - found it here :
Eva-Dry EDV-2200 Electric Petite Dehumidifier 12V DC | eBay
I think I might give this a try.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I bought a dehumidifier for my home from Sears a while back, which I do not recommend.
If the electrical power goes off, the de-humidifier does not reset and come back to the on position automatically. It turns off. So if we are away from home and there is a blip in the electric utility, it stays off until we notice. If we are on a trip, who knows how much moisture will build up!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I have the delonghi with the pump amd digital display. No complaints.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote