Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Can a missing step on a '71 Safari be replace with whatever was once there?

I confirmed today that there is no longer any entry step on the 1971 Airstream Safari we are buying, and wonder if there is still any way to order a replacement for whatever was originally there?

Here's what the area where it should be now looks:
Click image for larger version

Name:	entry step missing-Email.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	188368
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Your step appears to be there maybe stuck and rusted but there! Look and or take a picture from under the step. There are slides or guides for the step if they are indeed missing you should see aluminum in what appears to be an empty box.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Your step appears intact from what I see. Check out my thread below for pictures of the step, page 7 posts 97 & 98
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Thanks much! I'll ask our dealer if he can get it to open. If not, I'll work on it after delivery.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1972 23' Safari
Fallbrook , California
How do I get the steps in my 1972 safari air stream to come down ?
malibusaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings malibusaw!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibusaw View Post
How do I get the steps in my 1972 safari air stream to come down ?
While the exact operating characteristics of the Airstream entrance step can vary slightly during the Vintage years, the general process remained somewhat consistent from sometime in the 1960s through sometime in the 1980s. When you are facing the door of your coach, there should be a protruding lip in the center of the entry . . . pulling outward on this lip "should" release the step. When a coach has been unused for an extended period of time, it is not uncommon for rust and other corrosion to form rendering operation of the step difficult to impossible. The first remedy suggested is generally to soak all pivot/contact areas of the step mechanism with PB Blaster (or a similar product) and allow it to stand at least overnight (it may take multiple treatments over several days to free-up the mechanism it the corrosion is severe). Sometimes, a pivot or attaching bolt can become bent or otherwise damaged requiring the disassembly and replacement of the broken part. You may need to look under the coach and up below the door's threshold to see the pivot points and attaching hardware (part of the mechanism will be shielded by the aluminum "tuck-under" trim seen in your photo).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Thanks again. Our '71 isn't quite ready for delivery yet, but I was able to see it again today, and those who assured me the step is still there are correct. I oiled the pivot points I noticed, and will order some PB Blaster if that and dealer efforts don't suffice.

I also received the '71 Airstream manual I'd ordered from the Airstream store this week, which mentioned an optional extension step, stored underneath the chassis below the window next to the door. Sadly, mine doesn't appear to have that option, though I did see where it would mount if present.

Anyone know if that extension step is still available for purchase anywhere? With the door 24" off the ground, an extra step would be welcome, though we have two folding steps to try meanwhile.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings MrJim;!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
Anyone know if that extension step is still available for purchase anywhere? With the door 24" off the ground, an extra step would be welcome, though we have two folding steps to try meanwhile.
I can't tell you whether the optional second step is still available, but I can comment on its application. I have several friends who have this two-step entry, and there is a pivot point that weakens with age and use and can cause instability. Somewhere here on the Forums there is a thread on reinforcing this step and modifying its pivot. I know that one of the "quick-fixes" that I have seen is to place a 2"x6" piece of lumber below the second step to take some of the stress off of the weak pivot.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: I have another acquaintance who became frustrated with his second step to the point where he removed it and began carrying a carpeted platform box to use as the first step.
AIR #827
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1972 23' Safari
Fallbrook , California
We got the steps down they are I great shape . The lever is broken so we use a screwdriver to get them down . My boyfriend and his friend got them down while we were on our first camping trip to Carlsbad state beach :-) Ty for all your help
malibusaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Update: Our dealer was also successful in getting our entry step to work, although he was unable to find a way to order the optional auxiliary step assembly listed at part no. 01148 on page 4 in the 1972 Airstream service manual.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings MrJim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
Update: Our dealer was also successful in getting our entry step to work, although he was unable to find a way to order the optional auxiliary step assembly listed at part no. 01148 on page 4 in the 1972 Airstream service manual.
You might try watching the classifieds here on the Forums as well as E-Bay as the auxiliary steps come up for sale from time to time. If you or friends are WBCCI members and in the habit of attending the WBCCI International Rally where the auxiliary step can often be found in the annual International Rally Flea Market . . . the International Rally has already taken place this year, but there is always next year.

Kevin
AIR #827