Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is the terrain on Google maps -- hope it shows up south of Provo:

https://goo.gl/maps/oKZVJyFT4HN2

If the weather permits snow-wise, I would go southeast from I-15 just south of Provo at Spanish Fork on:

89 east to Thistle
6 east to Tucker, Helper and Price
191 south to Green River
I-70 briefly eastbound to Crescent Junction
191 south to Moab and Monticello
491 east then south to
Cortez CO
491 south to
Gallup
I-40 east to Oklahoma City
then work your way south to I-10 at some point based on weather.

The above route will save you some distance, and avoids most of the higher elevations IMO, but is of course dependent on snow. I have not been on most of the roads, but I am guessing they are OK.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- This route is a bit complicated with highway number changes, but it will take you east of the mountain range that runs south from Provo to Flagstaff, and west of the main part of the Rockies, into a large flatter valley of sorts (macro scale) which you can see by zooming in and out on the Google Terrain view linked above.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The moving radar map looks pretty favorable IMO:

Southwest Regional Doppler Weather Radar Map - AccuWeather.com

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
On my iPad mini I had to toggle on the Terrain view at the upper left options in Google maps.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by realityrv View Post
[snip].
Thank you.
Tom
Hope the trip is working out. If you have time for an update, that would be appreciated. Also, if you have any guidance for Al and Missy, they are planning on heading to the mid-west soon from Florida:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ts-145643.html

Thanks,

Peter
Old 01-24-2016, 02:50 AM   #45
realityrv

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Kalispell , Montana
Late reply on trip to Florida

Peter,
Sorry to get back to you so late.
I thought I had replied to you but it came back as it got into some other forum?

Anyway, we got to Gallup NM and had to head back to Flagstaff on the 12th of Jan. as I became very ill. Admitted to the hospital ER. (Too lengthy to go into the health details) Wound up recovering enough to let them release me so I could go to my previous Dr. In Las Vegas. We use to live here.

Had to cancel Florida trip. Feeling better now Being treated and will be staying here till March.
Sorry I can't help your friends coming back from FL. Just to say keep an eye on the weather. and they will probably need to detour around areas of snow, ice, etc.
Thanks for all your help. We had a great planned trip and missed all bad weather as far as we got. When we headed back to Flagstaff, they had just dug themselves out of 31" of snow.

Be glad to help you anytime you need something.

Tom Montana
realityrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Tom, good to hear from you, and glad you are still breathing! I also had major health issues over the last year, so I know the feeling . . . Glad you landed in friendly territory. The adventure continues!

We had 12-15" of snow yesterday, so I was recalling being in Flagstaff in that blizzard back in the 60's, which I think I mentioned here a while ago.

Happy Trails!

Peter