Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Have you ever towed your camper in the winter?
Yes 62 68.89%
No 28 31.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**Winter Camping**

Has anyone done any traveling with your camper during the winter?

I would like to hear some of your stories if you have. I'm certain there may be some already posted on this forum so feel free to show the link to it.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hi, Bill and Donna. We remember our fun time at the Moraine View Rally last June! I just saw this thread after I wrote about our November camp experience. Sorry, I should have tagged onto this one of yours. Are you planning some cold camping or are you thinking of heading south? It was pretty chilly at night this past weekend in Missouri--though I realize November is not the same as winter camping. I'm not sure I'd be good for camping at temps much lower than the ones we had (upper 30's and 40's at night). We run a small ceramic heater to spare the propane, and pile on a huge comforter and lots of pillows to stay warm. We love that "icy nose but cozy toes" kind of winter sleeping. The Airstream sure provides it!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Smile cozy

I have been camped for the past month or so in areas that have been getting down into the low 30's at night - Idaho in October and now southern Oregon. Even a few nights below freezing where I was a bit concerned about the water lines. Seems to work fine, but at night the trailer gets cold and the furnace runs a lot if you try to keep it as warm as a house. Much easier to wear a fleece and leave it at 60-65 deg, then let it drop down while sleeping to about 45-50, which it will do pretty quickly if it is near freezing outside.

The furnace does warm the tanks and lines fortunately, so as long as you run it, nothing should freeze up. But the insulation is not nearly as thick as a house, and the aluminum probably helps conduct the cold in. I think the CCD's, with bare aluminum on the inside would be even worse. Another interesting thing is that mine starts to creak and make little sounds of aluminum contracting as it cools off late at night, and then again when it warms back up in the morning with the heat on. The skin must really expand and contract.

My propane use seems very reasonable, and I have considered wintering in the Airstream, if not for some other priorities. It would be tolerable, and fun I think, if you have a good spot. The main thing, as has been mentioned in other posts, is to make sure condensation is not excessive. I am just one person, yet I am careful to crack windows and use the exhaust fan when cooking, warm it up in the morning, and always open it up a bit when it gets sunny mid-day, to dry it out. I have had to leave it for a few days at a time while I run off on business, and when I do I leave a small flat plate heater on (about 100w), designed to dry the air in RV's and boats. It works fine and I never find any condensation when I get back.

I do not think that an Airstream would be happy in really cold weather, as found in the mountains of the West, the Midwest or the Northeast. Maybe for a few days of winter camping, but after that I think one would have to bolster the insulation, close up the bottom, etc, and use auxiliary electric heat.

-john
Old 11-09-2004, 04:37 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
Has anyone done any traveling with your camper during the winter?

I would like to hear some of your stories if you have. I'm certain there may be some already posted on this forum so feel free to show the link to it.
Our winters are mild enough to camp right through them. What frost?
I am assuming you mean winter camping where winter actually happens?
My wife and I enjoy camping in December and January, especially since the Southern CA state parks are easy to get into and all but deserted then.
I will vote "no" on the winter towing, since I have not towed in ice or snow yet.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
Thumbs up

Winter camping is fun. Just forget about water in the trailer and pack your own for cooking.

I used my 64 Globetrotter in Montana as a hunting camp every year for seven years. When you wake up in the morning and your outfit is covered with 19 inches of fresh snow and you have to break out of the trailer because the ice has locked you in then you're really Winter Camping!

Towing is an additional thrill. You have to have a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle and a lot of nerve! Deep Snow in the back country is ok to drive in. It's the ice on the main highways that gets you.

Don't do winter camping if you're in a hurry to get there or get back. You may have to wait on a thaw.
mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Hi, Bill and Donna. We remember our fun time at the Moraine View Rally last June! I just saw this thread after I wrote about our November camp experience. Sorry, I should have tagged onto this one of yours. Are you planning some cold camping or are you thinking of heading south? It was pretty chilly at night this past weekend in Missouri--though I realize November is not the same as winter camping. I'm not sure I'd be good for camping at temps much lower than the ones we had (upper 30's and 40's at night). We run a small ceramic heater to spare the propane, and pile on a huge comforter and lots of pillows to stay warm. We love that "icy nose but cozy toes" kind of winter sleeping. The Airstream sure provides it!
We did enjoy our trip to Moraine View last June as well. I guess I missed your post on winter camping; can you place a link to it from this thread?

I actually haven't planned any type of winter camping but I think it would be a blast. It's always fun getting the old A'S out somewhere. We have a state park not far from us that is even open all year but just haven’t made that type of adventure. Was just curious about trips that people may have made during the winter where they fight snow & ice, etc.. I'm sure those of you who have would have made a memory you won't soon forget.

With the proper preparation & equipment I don't see why we shouldn't do things like that more often

Oh BTW, we got us some of the same type of chairs you have that you had shown us. Absolutely love them! We got them from Cabela's in Dundee, MI when we were passing through in July going to Mackinaw City.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 11-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Winter camping in the AS .. Why not? We did last February in Massachusetts and it is a lot better than camping in a tent like we used to. Temps here run about 10F or lower in that month and it was really nice to have the heat. We purchased a porta potty and put it in the shower stall to avoid cold walks to the bathroom in the middle of the night. A fine investment I must say... I would not drive if the snow was sticking to the road but we did drive in a small storm. We have winterized already this year but fully intend to get out when we can.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
**Winter Camping**

We camp all year long. Our group has a big bonfire at a friend's farm for New Year's Eve and we take the Airstream down to sleep in. We stay warm and cozy. We just build a bigger fire when we are outside!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How fun! I have heard the old folks in the club tell me that they used to winter camp all the time. If the trailers were winterized they would just take them out with bottles of water to use instead of the onboard water.

I'd like to do some camping this winter! Especially on the western side of the state where it's pretty mild anyway. It would be great to go somewhere where there was snow, but we don't have a 4x4 tow vehicle.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
We used our trailer last winter here in GA. Temps got down to the mid 20's.

We were in a full hook up site, so I left the water running slow, turned the electric roof heat on, and then used the propane furnace for extra heat in the morning once we were up moving around. As long as you think through any freezing issues, I can't think of a more fun place to be stuck in the cold than in our Airstream.

I guess the only part I don't like is having to re-winterize the unit. But, it beats letting it sit all winter. What a waste. Life is too short. Get out there!

Andy
Old 11-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I winter camped two years ago when bringing my trailer to Wisconsin from Florida in December. At night it was well below freezing, say 20 degrees. The furnace did fine, although the furnace fan uses up the battery each night! I had already winterized - so did not use the water system. My trip had minimal snow and ice. It was snowing lightly when I went through northern Wisconsin, but the roads were good.

In general I would be very concerned about towing a travel trailer in snow and ice. A little sway, or side motions from wind, could be a big problem. We count on the tow vehicle tires to stay put side-to-side! Does anyone have significant experience towing in snow and ice?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I voted yes. We live in the moist Pacific Northwest so we don't need to winterize our Pod. We towed it over the Sierras with snow falling last year on our way to Death Valley. We've driven with 60 mph cross winds along the Oregon coast with driving rains. Love a night in the Pod with heavy rains. Condensation happens!! Hit some Black Ice in Washington but kept control as we were driving slow and on the lookout for it. Didn't see the ice though. It was the car in the ditch ahead of us that was a clue. So basically I'd say we do wimpy winter camping. Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Agreed, there is NOTHING like a rainy night in an airstream (as long as you can enjoy it without worrying about leaks)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Come on down...

The AZ state parks are wonderful during the winter. We spent last Christmas in the trailer at one of our favorites. You will probably use your furnace, but it won't be cranking all night long (of course that depends on the elevation too). Many of the parks have sites with electric hookups. We're planning to be out a lot over the holidays.
Ken
Old 11-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
I have been camped for the past month or so in areas that have been getting down into the low 30's at night - Idaho in October and now southern Oregon. Even a few nights below freezing where I was a bit concerned about the water lines. Seems to work fine, but at night the trailer gets cold and the furnace runs a lot if you try to keep it as warm as a house. Much easier to wear a fleece and leave it at 60-65 deg, then let it drop down while sleeping to about 45-50, which it will do pretty quickly if it is near freezing outside.

The furnace does warm the tanks and lines fortunately, so as long as you run it, nothing should freeze up. But the insulation is not nearly as thick as a house, and the aluminum probably helps conduct the cold in. I think the CCD's, with bare aluminum on the inside would be even worse. Another interesting thing is that mine starts to creak and make little sounds of aluminum contracting as it cools off late at night, and then again when it warms back up in the morning with the heat on. The skin must really expand and contract.

My propane use seems very reasonable, and I have considered wintering in the Airstream, if not for some other priorities. It would be tolerable, and fun I think, if you have a good spot. The main thing, as has been mentioned in other posts, is to make sure condensation is not excessive. I am just one person, yet I am careful to crack windows and use the exhaust fan when cooking, warm it up in the morning, and always open it up a bit when it gets sunny mid-day, to dry it out. I have had to leave it for a few days at a time while I run off on business, and when I do I leave a small flat plate heater on (about 100w), designed to dry the air in RV's and boats. It works fine and I never find any condensation when I get back.

I do not think that an Airstream would be happy in really cold weather, as found in the mountains of the West, the Midwest or the Northeast. Maybe for a few days of winter camping, but after that I think one would have to bolster the insulation, close up the bottom, etc, and use auxiliary electric heat.

-john
Your use of the hotplate is a good one. I'm currently testing a couple systems to make life easier in the AS including an outside air exchange dehumidifier and a low temperature detection system I designed and installed in my '72 Overlander. Four sensors in the underfloor and service areas detect temps below 38 degrees and first turn on a set of 12VDC fans that blow interior heated air into the rear and side areas. If any of the temps are still low in 15 minutes, the system also over-rides the AS thermostat control and turns on the furnace until all temp detectors read above 38 degrees. I'm hoping this will help folks who use space heaters as their primary source. This of course keeps the interior too warm to trigger the furnace and therefore does not force heated air to the underfloor tanks and piping. This results in cosy interiors and frozen tanks! While there are many other ways to control freezing, my goal was to come up with a system that did not require installing heater lines, tapes, or pads.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirConditioner
Your use of the hotplate is a good one. I'm currently testing a couple systems to make life easier in the AS including an outside air exchange dehumidifier and a low temperature detection system I designed and installed in my '72 Overlander. Four sensors in the underfloor and service areas detect temps below 38 degrees and first turn on a set of 12VDC fans that blow interior heated air into the rear and side areas. If any of the temps are still low in 15 minutes, the system also over-rides the AS thermostat control and turns on the furnace until all temp detectors read above 38 degrees. I'm hoping this will help folks who use space heaters as their primary source. This of course keeps the interior too warm to trigger the furnace and therefore does not force heated air to the underfloor tanks and piping. This results in cosy interiors and frozen tanks! While there are many other ways to control freezing, my goal was to come up with a system that did not require installing heater lines, tapes, or pads.
Have you thought about getting a patent on that?

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 11-11-2004, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I think a small air-to-air heat exchanger, a smaller 12 V version of those now installed in houses as "heat recovery ventilators", would solve the condensation problem without losing so much heat from an open window. It could be plumbed into the furnace/ductwork just like in a house. Does anyone know of one?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
This is a good thread to keep on-going. We camped two weeks ago in Central Wisconsin. The event was a WBCCI luncheon and we took advantage of the location. The experience was so good we are planning a trip over New Years to visit a friend and see the Rock & Roll Hall Of fame in nCleveland,OH. What better time with no crowds and empty state parks?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

I'm sort of winter camping (see photo below) as I continue to work on our new shop/rv port/garage/storage/ building. We have had some very cold weather off and on and as I have taken no special steps to retain heat, I've had to give some consideration to lp consumption.

Our 25' coach heats up quickly - it will warm up from, say, 40 deg. in just 10 or 15 minutes. I have been taking advantage of that to roll the thermostat back to its minimum setting when I am going to be away from the trailer for any length of time - usually during the day. Then I crank up the heat at night.

I have no figures to share, but the reduction in lp use since I started doing this has been dramatic. Even with temps in the 20s it does not seem to take a lot of gas to keep the coach from freezing. But boy does it run through it when I set the thermostat for 70 deg.!!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newbarn.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	9754  
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Does the driveway count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfuson
...But, it beats letting it sit all winter. What a waste. Life is too short. Get out there!
My four year old, after helping me do some Airstream odds & ends yesterday afternoon, wanted to sleep in the Overlander last night. With the temperature in the high 20s, I grabbed a couple of quilts while he rounded up his choice of music & movies.

The furnace kept us nice & toasty all evening while we enjoyed his tapes, and into the night as we both slept very contentedly.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote