Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Where to Stay Near Destin, FL.

We are planning a trip from Daytona to New Orleans around the middle of September. We are thinking we would like to stay two or three days/nights in the Destin area on our way out. Do any of ya'll have any ideas for a nice campground where we can stay? Thanks.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I love Topsail Hill State Park. It's busy so check for a reservation. All sites are 50 amp, + cable tv.
Next would be Henderson Beach.
Keep in mind the Fl. panhandle in September is a prime hurricane target, so be prepared to have a backup plan.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Keep in mind the Fl. panhandle in September is a prime hurricane target, so be prepared to have a backup plan.
Yes, for sure. I work for a Power Co. in Florida so, I'll either go there on vacation or if one hits I'll be there for work.....
Old 07-04-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Topsail is a great park. I would also recommend Stinkys Fishcamp for dinner.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
It’s a good bit east of Destin and Panama City, but we just spent a few days at Carrabelle Beach RV resort in Carrabelle FL. Textbook ‘Old Florida’ gem. Very nice park with a white sandy beach across the street. Right on Coastal hwy 98.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Next would be Henderson Beach.
+1 for Henderson.

Pro:
Beach much closer than at Topsail
Separate access to beach for campers, more private.
Dense Foliage separation between sites provides privacy

Con
Road noise
Helicopter ride noise in the daytime

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Topsail is a great park. I would also recommend Stinkys Fishcamp for dinner.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be back for Canopener. Looks like Stinky's is just down 30A.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
MGP

Currently Looking...
2022 23' International
Brookfield , New York
We stayed at Live Oak Landing in Freeport, FL, in April. Nice, quiet, but expensive private park. Mix of permanent and RV housing. Right on river/bay so kayaks and small boat access at back of park. We were placed between two tiny homes so it didn’t really feel like camping but it worked for us for two nights. Mostly RV spots by entrance so that may be preferred by some.

Easy in/out access from I-10 since you don’t have to go onto the busy stretches of the coast, but somewhat removed from Destin. Not too bad of a drive to Seagrove Village or Grayton Beach. We would have preferred one of the state parks but we couldn’t get a spot for two nights.

We would stay closer to the action and coast next time.

Have fun…
etheroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Thanks to all for the help.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:55 AM   #10
Dreamin Bout Airstreaming

2019 27' Globetrotter
Savannah , Georgia
We just stayed at Geronimo RV Park back in April and loved the location and the park is super nice. No pool but the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The beach is only a short walk away and the area has many restaurants and breakfast places near by as well as a grocery store and pharmacy. The Surf Hut Restaurant is right on the ocean and a easy walk to get to, great food and atmosphere. You'll love this whole area. Here's the link

https://geronimorvresort.com

Have Fun!
jamiecribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
We stayed at Camp Gulf a few times & loved it. It's right on the beach. Two pools, big activity room, nice bathrooms. It's a resort not a campground. All paved. But we liked it alot!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
We try to get to Topsail every year. Headed there in August. It's a great park. The front end campsites are pretty much in the open, the back end have some wonderful wooded sites. It's about a mile walk to the beach, but there is a shuttle that goes back and forth to give you a ride. What's really nice about Topsail is it never seems to be crowded at the beach like other parts of Destin. You probably know this, but you book Topsail on the Fl Reservation website (https://reserve.floridastateparks.org/Web/Default.aspx). Another neat campsite we've stayed at was Florida Caverns State Park in Marianna which I recall is a couple of hours from Destin. Unfortunately Florida Caverns was heavily damaged during the last big hurricane and is currently closed for renovation. It's a neat little park and there are actual caves you can tour.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Calvert , Texas
possible

Not in Destin but pretty close, we enjoyed St. Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach.

My husband used to work on a scientific drilling vessal and saw a lot of ports of call, but said that the beach and water in Panama City Beach was the most beautiful he had ever seen.
jrumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
We were at Topsail and Henderson SPs in January. Both really nice. Topsail has miles of trails. The beach is beautiful but it's too far to walk from the campground (unless you really like walking); they have a shuttle that runs regularly. They also have a nice cafe that serves draft beer. Henderson is a beautiful campground right on the beach but it's bounded on the other side by a heavily trafficked highway (US 98). Further away, but the nicest of the three in our opinion, is Grayton Beach SP. Small, beautiful campground, some sites backing on to a lovely lagoon.
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Valparaiso , Florida
Any of the state parks on the coast between Big Lagoon State Park and Grayton Beach State Park are great. Rocky Bayou State Park is just on the other side of the bay from Destin. It’s also nice and gives easy access to the Destin area. And then there’s the national seashore. We camped in all of them and will do it again.
DMBValP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Lenexa , Kansas
This last Spring we stayed at Destin West RV Resort. Very nice, but very expensive. I would try for Henderson if it's available, otherwise this is a decent backup plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4140.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	399847  
ctaulborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , Texas
We have stayed at Topsail and really enjoyed it! Every site has full hookups and there is even a pool. I would avoid sites 1 - 24 as this is a big campground and every rig and car goes past this first loop coming in and out of the park. Henderson doesn't have full hookups but would still consider staying there. However I did read a few reviews about Henderson saying the rats there were a problem, has anyone else experienced that?
NeilWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
I found pleasant facilities and atmosphere when staying a few times at:
Pineglen Motorcoach & RV Park
11930 Panama City Beach Pkwy
Panama City Beach, FL 32407
United States.
Safe travels.
Ky76Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWK View Post
We have stayed at Topsail and really enjoyed it! Every site has full hookups and there is even a pool. I would avoid sites 1 - 24 as this is a big campground and every rig and car goes past this first loop coming in and out of the park. Henderson doesn't have full hookups but would still consider staying there. However I did read a few reviews about Henderson saying the rats there were a problem, has anyone else experienced that?

Called Henderson State park and spoke with a park ranger there, he said the rat problem has gotten better but is still a concern. They are encouraging everyone to bring any food in at night, clean grills etc.
NeilWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:57 AM   #20
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Not Destin, but in the region (~30 miles north of Pensacola) should you find other campgrounds/parks too loaded to get a spot:

Mystic Cove Airstream Park
https://www.airforums.com/reviews/sh...php?product=52
or on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/mysticspringspark/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote