Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
John

Question Tunnel Mountain Campground @ Banff

Any comments on Tunnel Mountain Campground @ Banff? I'm thinking of staying here for a week to see Banff and Jasper prior to arriving at Revelstoke.
Thanks again,
John
Old 04-11-2002, 09:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Tunnel Mountain, Banff

Hi John

When are you coming? You are welcome to park at our place in Calgary on your way if you wish. Only on-street parking but we can run out power and water.

Opinions on Banff vary depending on preferences. It is quite commercial and can get crowded but has several attractions including the Banff Springs Hotel, many shops, and good restaurants including Georgios (italian), Grizzly House (fondue) and Bumpers or the Keg for beef. Nearby Lake Minnewanka is a pretty spot and you can rent an aluminum boat with an outboard reasonably for fishing or cruising on the lake.

Tunnel Mountain is close to the action in Banff but does not have sites as wooded or private as we like. The non-serviced sites are nicer if you can do without the ammenities.

If you don't want too much time in Banff itself I would recommend Kananaskis Country and Peter Lougheed Parks. Boulton Creek (click here) is a gorgeous boondocking site and Mt Kidd (click here) if you want all of the luxuries: hookups, tennis. hot tubs etc. These 2 areas are between Calgary and Banff but South of the highway.

Jasper is about 3 hours North of Banff and on the way you can see Lake Louise (photo below) and other turquoise wonders, wildlife and a roadside glacier. Jasper is as beautiful as banff area but less commercialized.

Currently $1 u.s. = $1.60 cdn
Meals and rv sites are about the same price as in the U.S. but in Canadian dollars so you end up ahead. Fuel is probably slightly higher here even after exchange. If you buy many items in Canada you can apply for a refund on sales tax 7%

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide69.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	95  
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:31 AM   #3
John

Thanks for the campground information!

I'm leaving FL on April 22 and should be in Banff around mid-May. I plan on staying in Banff for a week and then up to Jasper for a few days and then down to Revelstoke for the summer.

How is route 93 to Jasper and route 5 down to Revelstoke? Are there any steep grades that I should be aware of?

Many Thanks, John

P.S. if I'm close to you, I'd be happy to stop by and say Hi.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Banff, Jasper, Revelstoke

Hi John

Hiway 93 is a good 2 lane highway, you are coming at the perfect off season time so crowds should not be a problem. The grades are not too severe and you will be fine if you take your time. Kicking horse pass to Revelstoke is very steep in places but is an excellent highway. BC is strict about vehicle towing capacities etc so make sure you are not overloaded.

Will you be able to check your e-mail on the road? We would like to get together with you in Banff or Calgary. Again, you are welcome to park in front of our place if you want a stop in Calgary.

I saw your other post about campgrounds along the trans Canada. Last summer I drove out that way to Ohio and came back through Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana. Unless you have a specific reason for the north route I'd recomend the southern one for scenery. We stayed at KOA's in Sioux Falls, Hill City, Billings and Great Falls.

Stay in touch
Terry
VAC
Old 04-13-2002, 07:01 AM   #5
John

Terry,

I've been through SD, WY and MT a couple of times and thought I'd take a new route through Southern Canada. I know the drive is mostly through the plains but it will all be new and exciting.
Tks,
John
Old 04-13-2002, 09:01 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Canadian Prairies

I haven't been there but I understand Saskatoon Saskatchewan is a pretty city, Cypress Hills Park bridges the Saskatchewan, Alberta border and is apparently very nice.

Terry
VAC