Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
Trip to the Mother Ship

I just got the phone message that Airstream is ready for me to set a date to travel to JC to have repairs performed.

I was looking for input regarding best time to travel to Ohio and best route(s).

I will be traveling from the Pueblo Colorado area. I hope to make the trip there as expeditiously as possible. The return trip will be more laid back and I will have more time, traveling, maybe, 1 day per week while taking alternative route(s).

Bad timing with all that is going on these days (state lock downs, etc.).

I will be in my current location until July 10th so I will departing some time after that date.

Have not been East of Colorado with my Airstream. Just looking for advice, pro tips, etc.

Thanks for any input you are willing to offer.
trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I70 East all the way to Ohio is the most direct route.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Trailerpup,
You don't provide much info. Do you have a copilot? Are you an endurance driver?
I-70 is good, but avoid driving through Kansas City, St. Louis and Indianapolis at rush hour.
Expeditious? The driving is easy eastbound from Pueblo. (Obviously, don't go all the way to Denver, take the shortcut to Limon.) We personally don't try to drive more than 400 miles in a day.
Check the weather, especially for flooding around St. Louis.
We always make reservations. www.Campgroundreviews.com is a good resource. Do you favor KOA's or parks?
If you want sightseeing tips for the way back, let us know what your interests are.
Happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Front Range , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I70 East all the way to Ohio is the most direct route.
Yeah, I'll head East and make my way up to 70. 50/287/40.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Trailerpup,
You don't provide much info. Do you have a copilot? Are you an endurance driver?
I-70 is good, but avoid driving through Kansas City, St. Louis and Indianapolis at rush hour.... Happy travels!
Solo trip. Looks like stops in Topeka and Terre Haute. Planned departure each day is 5am. Still running different scenarios but planning on 7-8 hours per day.

Big help getting me started on the planning.

Thanks.

I need to do some more local research on the big citys for by-passes, etc. if needed.

I use CGR and it hasn't failed me yet. KOA or RV Park on the way there. Best rated and most scenic drive on the way back. Heck, I may just start heading SE from there. Never been.

This is all predicated, of course, on the situation on the ground... and in the air come July-ish.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Suggest getting a good spiral bound road atlas . . . good guidance in this recent thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ap-209219.html

Note various truckers' version with more info.

Very handy to have a hard copy you can mark up and have next to you on the road. Our favorite:

https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-...s%2C166&sr=8-4

Safe travels . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I-70 in Indianapolis is under construction, and I-70 from I-465 to downtown Indy is closed, you will have to take I-465 around the city. And don't worry about rush hour, no one is working in the office currently.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We use this (https://www.amazon.com/Next-EXIT-202...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==) when traveling the interstate highways. We find it helpful!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Late September,early October has been good temperatures for us the last two years. But always subject to change.
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
New plant

Haven't been to the brand new AS plant. You could tell us all about it when you get back!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Front Range , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Suggest getting a good spiral bound road atlas . . . good guidance in this recent thread...
Ordered. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
I-70 in Indianapolis is under construction, and I-70 from I-465 to downtown Indy is closed, you will have to take I-465 around the city. And don't worry about rush hour, no one is working in the office currently. Damon#4827
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
We use this (https://www.amazon.com/Next-EXIT-202...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==) when traveling the interstate highways. We find it helpful!
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
Late September,early October has been good temperatures for us the last two years. But always subject to change.
When they emailed me to ask when I wanted my appointment I responded 7/14. First time going so I'm not sure of the process. Guess I will know the actual date when they respond. I'll add the seasonal/geographical info to my travel notes folder. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Pup, don't be surprised if they give you a date 3 months out. For routes back, if you want to parallel 70 try US36. Runs almost all the way from Ohio to Colorado. Or US24. Nearly as fast as I70, better roads, less traffic and great things to see and do.

Or 50-385-400 etc east to Lexington KY and the up I75 to Jackson Center.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Front Range , CO
Service date set for 6/22. I'm taking that as a good sign.

Going to run scenarios to Lexington and then up to JC, too.

Really want to thank everyone for the tips and suggestions!!

P.S. I'll post up about what the experience is like and any info/pics I can get about the new plant, etc.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I always took the bypasses around KC and St. Louis. In KC, go north on I-435, then cut across on 152 and it drops you off on 435 S.
In St. Louis you can get on 370 to I-270 and it rejoins I-70.
Longer, but better roads and no downtown traffic.
Last fall, there was bridge construction on the east side of KC where 435 and 70 meet. The detour doesn't seem to make sense, but in hindsight it was a good plan.

OBTW, Kansas is a big state to drive across!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpup View Post
<<snip>>
Heck, I may just start heading SE from there. Never been.

This is all predicated, of course, on the situation on the ground... and in the air come July-ish.
On you way back, if you head SE, the Blue Ridge Parkway will be nice and cool in late July, at least until you get to the lower elevations at either end. Shouldn't be too crowded. The Great Smoky Mountains NP is pleasant that time of year too.
You could go west from NC into TN to pickup the Natchez Trace then go south. That's on my places to go to list.
Both parkways move at a leisurely pace and offer things to see along the way.

At the lower elevations, anywhere in the SE US, expect temps in the upper 80's and 90's with high humidity to be the daily norm in July and August. If you continue S, SE or E, the costal areas offer some cool breezes along the water, but still hot!
Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
[QUOTE=trailerpup;2369341]I just got the phone message that Airstream is ready for me to set a date to travel to JC to have repairs performed.

I was looking for input regarding best time to travel to Ohio and best route(s).

I will be traveling from the Pueblo Colorado area. I hope to make the trip there as expeditiously as possible. The return trip will be more laid back and I will have more time, traveling, maybe, 1 day per week while taking alternative route(s).

That's funny. I am heading to Pueblo Monday from Charlottesville, Va. I'll drive 64 to St. Louis, then Rt. 50 the rest of the way following the Arkansas River. I will go to Gunnison NP, Colorado National Monument, and Capital Reef National Park before turning north to Stanley, Idaho for a raft trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.

There is very little in Jackson City, but I hope you get to take a tour of the new factory, and then tell us all about it. Indian Lake State Park is a nice place to stay once the work is finished, but the area is usually very busy in the summer. Honda has a beautiful plant nearby. I don't know if you can tour that or not, but would be interesting if you could.

Summer is hot and humid in the southeast. Another option is to go north to Michigan. Two years ago we drove the perimeter of Michigan starting at Holland (beautiful), then drove to the Upper Peninsula (the UP), which we enjoyed also. You could enter Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, visit the coolest airplane museum ever, then drive one of the most scenic drives in America, around the top of Lake Superior.

Have a great time,
Greg
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Dash Camera a necessity IMHO

Whatever route you choose make sure your traveling companion is a DASH CAMERA.
This inexpensive one time.purchase will prove invaluable when the time comes to tell your side of the story.

First they will hire an ambulance chasing attorney who specializes in suing RV drivers who "caused this wreck".

Second, your version will ultimately be the one the court/jury BELIEVES because YOU have video evidence of them cutting you off then slamming on their brakes causing you to rear-end their POS vehicle.

There are no winners but at least you are protecting yourself and your insurance provider against fraud.
This device helps them defend you better.

Safe travels out and back.
Ol Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Front Range , CO
I have a Blackvue Dash Cam. Never leave home without it.

I bypassed the major cities by turning north at Topeka and taking 36 and 72 all the way East. Although very humid, very beautiful country out this way.

I had a very good experience at the KOA in Anderson, Indiana. An unexpected pleasant surprise.

I will flip a coin in a couple days and either head towards the UP or points South.

Route 50 sounds intriguing...

I do recommend Mountain View RV Resort near Royal Gorge for a short stay. It is the only place that has met my high expectations since purchasing my 19 FC.

Where are all the good RV parks? I am quickly losing faith in Campground Reviews dotcom. I may have to learn the state park ropes.

The factory tours have been suspended due to the vIrUs. Sad.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
I will flip a coin in a couple days and either head towards the UP or points South.
. . .
Are you back in Colorado? Not a good time of year to head south IMO -- heat and humidity await.

The rapidly evolving virus situation is probably your best trip planning aid. It may be difficult to plan ahead, however, as more states may start requiring visitors from hot spots to quarantine for 14 days, like NY/NJ/CT just did. The Upper Peninsula seems like a good compass heading IMO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UP+U...=airforums.com

Good luck . . . and Happy Trails . . . great that Airstream took good care of you.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Quote:
I have a Blackvue Dash Cam. Never leave home without it.

I bypassed the major cities by turning north at Topeka and taking 36 and 72 all the way East. Although very humid, very beautiful country out this way.

I had a very good experience at the KOA in Anderson, Indiana. An unexpected pleasant surprise.

Route 50 sounds intriguing...

I do recommend Mountain View RV Resort near Royal Gorge for a short stay. It is the only place that has met my high expectations since purchasing my 19 FC.

Where are all the good RV parks? I am quickly losing faith in Campground Reviews dotcom. I may have to learn the state park ropes.

The factory tours have been suspended due to the vIrUs. Sad.
Thanks for the tip on Mountain View Resort. It looks very nice.

There is a great thread called "Campsite Pics". You can search "Campsite Pics Michigan" for instance. Two other ways I search are: search top campgrounds in Michigan. Most often in Google Maps I highlight a destination (a town, a park) then push the "Nearby" button and type in "campground". A list will pop up with the campgrounds rated from 1-5. There will also be pictures you can peruse.

If you go north, you can find where we stayed if you search my blog at www.airstreamtime.com. In the search box, put in Michigan. I don't write the blog for any compensation, but to remember where we've been, what we found and to sort the pictures. A few friends follow along. Several that can't travel now, enjoy the trip vicariously.

If you go south, consider the Natchez Trace, which is a very pretty drive. Visit Elvis' birthplace.

Greg
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote