Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Visited The Mother Ship Today

Well finally had the chance to be in the area on business today and was able to stop in. Was only able to hang out for an hour but just had to say it was a great place to visit.

Thought is was further but only took a little over an hour to get back home. The people were great and even took the time to look at some photos of problems and offer repair advice. Keeping in mind I just showed up without making an appointment with a service advisor. The best part was all the little parts and pieces that had available that you might not think are made anymore. Most of the prices were VERY reasonable. Picked up some belt line insert that I had been putting off because of the prices on the internet.

Also learned that the tail light assemblies and the addition of the rub and belt lines (to hold vinyl inserts) had been added to my 71 at some point after 79.

Didn't get to do the tour so will have to go back now that I know it's such a short drive. If you get a chance it's worth the visit.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Orange city , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SLVRSRFR
Sounds like a very interesting place to Visit. The tour makes it a done deal. I bet it would be a great way to learn about the "tricks of the trade" for repair and maintenance! I can use the parts too! All the peices I need are the hard to find ones... what else is new?
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Just another note

They have some very vintage airstreams on display in the lot. They had one like this one out today. They also had another - I didn't get the year - it had multiple windows down each side and a window in the door. The body windows had car window crank handles and the glass actually rolled up and down in the body like an older model car - it was a trip. You think you have problems finding parts.....

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great string. We are planning to take Lucy up to the "Mother Ship" in late August. Lucy is really looking forward to it. Any tips would be appreciated.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Hey... I'm making the trip on Friday to pick up my Bambi (had a rather remarkable imprint on the roof of a 43' Pine Tree --- "Special Effects" of recent wind storm in Duluth MN) The service guys there are absolutely remarkable! They got the Bamabi fixed this week, just one week before we leave for Fam vaca in the Rockies! Thought I was going to be towing a trashed trailer for two weeks.. They made room in the schedule and got it mostly completed already - will pick it up Friday. Hope to tour if I can get there in time on Friday... If not... Have to wait for another wind storm (NOT).

My Bambi is a 2005 we purchased new as a one-year-old on lot trailer in Iowa last July (incidentally - another GREAT experience - Great dealer in Council Bluffs). What a bummer to have damage to a brand new unit! These guys treat you like it happened to them. They actually care about us customers! Customer Service is NOT dead! It is alive and well in Jackson Center, Ohio!

BTW: Dropped her off at 10:00 PM last Saturday night and met a friend at the Bellefontaine airport that few us back home after a 13 hour drive from Duluth, MN. The AS Service Folks even arranged the details for the drop! Gotta love those guys. And I thought I was just buying a really cool trailer. Had no idea how the family would grow with a new rig! I'll post more after picking up the rig this weekend. I can hardly wait. My drive looks awful without my rig in it!

Regards to you all!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd agree, the factory is a great place to visit, and most of the folks there are really great to chat with and talk shop...a number of them own an Airstream themselves, and a lot of them have been with the company for a long time.

I love the nick nack area of the store and also picked up several things when I was there. All in all my factory exp was a 10 out of a possible 10.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Planning on doing this sometime in the future. Our son is headed off to college in Delaware Ohio next month. We will have many opportunities to stray off our course in the next few years!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Planning on doing this sometime in the future. Our son is headed off to college in Delaware Ohio next month. We will have many opportunities to stray off our course in the next few years!
Well worth it IMHO....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Went Back Today

Made another parts run today. I'm impressed with some of the stuff they still have that I guess I just presumed wasn't available. The door latches that people complain about costing close to $500 to replace (70's like is on mine) they have all the individual parts for it. Guess I just thought you had to buy a new one if something broke.

Anyway - a few photos of the units on display. Snagged a interior pic of the roll down window handles mentioned above ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 068.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	42403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 069.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	42404  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 070.jpg