Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Route 66 advice from Kingman..

So I was looking at some interesting routes when going out west. I know route 66 is a classic road to go on in places.. I especially want to do 66 from Sligman to kingman, big fan of the movie "Cars" which was inspired by the story of the new interstate.

I was also looking and see 66 goes through kingman and then heads southwest to McConnico , Oatman, and Catfish Paradise before hooking back up with I-40 at the Coloroda River.

in looking on google maps using terrain feature turned on it look like there is a good amount of elevation change and some sharpish looking turns..

has anyone done with with a TT? and how was the trip.. I did a street view and the views are amazing..

look for good info and tips..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You do not want to tow a trailer to Oatman on 10 from the NE side. Especially a 31'. You can come in from the south on 10 or on Oatman Rd from the west, but parking can be a challenge as there is only on big lot and the cars can box you in. Google some you tube videos and you will see why.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Have not done it with a trailer.

Mojo is correct lots of good you tubes. Put "Route 66 AZ or Oatman in the search bar and you'll see several good videos. The 29 minute ride from poster dOvetastic is a realist view, donkeys and all.

Curvy, windy, narrow with odd crests. A favorite of motorcycle riders.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Disclaimer - I have not done much of Route 66.

The reason is that when we visit towns that were R66 destinations, the general configuration is a tourist trap building and some motels surounded by a considerable number of totally run down buildings that show how depressed the area is.

I do think there are some interesting renovations. Find where they are, plan a route that efficiently takes you there and enjoy them. That is worth the trip.

And someone, please identify where the tepees are located. My brother wants to visit them. A repeat of a long ago trip. I didn't go, so no memory. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ronteepee.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	282031  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route6..._holbrook.html

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Thanks much. I'll pass it along. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Kalamazoo , Michigan
We did this with our 34. I don't recommend it with something this size.

It is an amazing drive through Oatman and over the mountains, but the road is narrow and switchbacked and in poor condition in places.

If you have a shorter trailer it should be fine, as long as you have a good tow vehicle.

This is a very scenic drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
A little off topic but I caught an episode of a show called "Abandoned" on the Viceland cable channel. The series is about abandoned sites across North America but the particular episode that you may enjoy is focused on Route 66 in which the host drives as much of Route 66 as he can and documents the trip starting in San Diego and ending in Chicago focusing on the areas that are left behind now due to interstate bypasses and "progress". We made the drive across I-40 to travel to the Rose Parade rally in Pasadena a few years ago. There are still a few original early year gas stations and restaurants left along I-40 that are fun to see. Some of the areas abandoned by the interstate could be fun to see on day trips without trying to tow a trailer. Another fun area to see if you have time is to go south from Flagstaff to Sedona. The little town of Sedona itself is now left to tourist shops and timeshare pitches but the area around there is fascinating in terms of history - mining, early movie making, American Indian sites, and state parks. If you like the Cars movie - California Experience at Disneyland has a great Cars & Route 66 themed car ride that is really worth standing in line for!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Goodyear , Arizona
Do as a daytrip

Here is a write-up from Arizona Highways.
https://www.arizonahighways.com/expl...kingman-topock
leap-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We did it with our 27 -came in through the south and left going north. There is elevation and turns but we had no problem. If you're on the edge towing capacity wise, I wouldn't recommend it.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #11

1978 27' Overlander
Kingman , Arizona
Kingman to Oatman to I 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
So I was looking at some interesting routes when going out west. I know route 66 is a classic road to go on in places.. I especially want to do 66 from Sligman to kingman, big fan of the movie "Cars" which was inspired by the story of the new interstate.

I was also looking and see 66 goes through kingman and then heads southwest to McConnico , Oatman, and Catfish Paradise before hooking back up with I-40 at the Coloroda River.

in looking on google maps using terrain feature turned on it look like there is a good amount of elevation change and some sharpish looking turns..

has anyone done with with a TT? and how was the trip.. I did a street view and the views are amazing..

look for good info and tips..
I would suggest you park your Trailer and do the drive both ways, and heed the speed limits for sure especially in the curves, slow down even more lots to see. I live in Kingman and have done the trip many times in cars and on motorcycles showing vistors the area. The view is really great from both directions. There are a couple of neat things to see in Oatman and a really good place to eat there that is always packed.

There is also a terrific trip where you can drive down into the Grand Canyon, yes into it down to the Colorado River and get your feet wet, from Peach Springs, Az!

If you would like you could stay at our place and use us for a home base a night or two, we have plenty of power and a bit over an acre of property. I have been involved in the RV industry since 1969, www.RVfinancing.com is one of our websites and have traveled all over this country in some sort of RV, from a tent to a motorhome, it's been a great life!

Charlie
boatnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Disclaimer - I have not done much of Route 66.

And someone, please identify where the tepees are located. My brother wants to visit them. A repeat of a long ago trip. I didn't go, so no memory. Pat
Tepee motel rooms are in Seligman. For a good taste of Rt66 heading east, get off I-40 at Kingman and follow 66 to Seligman. Still has lotsa wide open spaces and less traffic than the first few times I used it, back before there was an I-40.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oracle , Arizona
a couple related questions regarding Route 66 Eastbound ftom Kingman: what is the condition of the road to Seligman and are there many historic sights remaining along this section?
JVfromGrnBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Kingman to Seligman on 66 is good...two lane without a lot of traffic. OK for nostalgia if you have the time. Seligman is the main 66 roadside attraction, but it's just off the side of I-40. Other than that, the only other attraction is the Grand Canyon Caverns. There is a campground and hotel there.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Approached a valley and saw the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. The whole area was just a gorgeous red. It was the right time of day, I am sure. You will enjoy this area very much. Be sure to allow sufficient time. I was in an automobile, but would not be concerned to take our 28' AS over Route 66. Yes, lots of curves, but, that was an east/west long haul truck route for many, many years. We surely can pull a trailer where those trucks pulled those 40 foot trailers. You will be fine - just know it ain't one of the best toll-roads. Enjoy.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
2018 23' International
Auburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
Approached a valley and saw the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. The whole area was just a gorgeous red. It was the right time of day, I am sure. You will enjoy this area very much. Be sure to allow sufficient time. I was in an automobile, but would not be concerned to take our 28' AS over Route 66. Yes, lots of curves, but, that was an east/west long haul truck route for many, many years. We surely can pull a trailer where those trucks pulled those 40 foot trailers. You will be fine - just know it ain't one of the best toll-roads. Enjoy.
And what time of day was that?
especially our Airstream
blog: https://airstreampictures.typepad.com
FilmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here in the Desert that is usually late afternoon to early evening. Something about the sun heading into its final hours that sets that red dirt into beautiful shades of red, brown and rust.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
Rt 66 from Kingman

Also, the road between Seligman and Kingman has the old Burma shave panels. No idea who maintains them ! We pulled as 28' and had no problems.
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 PM   #19

1960 24' Tradewind
Page , Arizona
Buy a bag of carrots for the burros in Oatman.
AZAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Route 66

We were there a few months ago. Fun, nostalgic trip. We would not recommend towing, it is possible but chance for serious delays, no turn arounds, etc make a day trip in the tow vehicle a LOT more comfortable and enjoyable. When we went up there was a HUGE motorcycle event taking place, reduced to a crawl when going through Oatman. The crowd was fun to see, but could not enjoy the town at all. Cops were turning RVs away, so be sure to ask before you set out. Small Route 66 museum in Kingman interesting. It is a fun drive, we passed very close to a large Bighorn Sheep, beautiful views. Enjoy!
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote