Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2002, 06:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Export To U.k.----helpful Advise Needed

I have recently sold a 1974 Airstream 31 footer.The buyer is from England and is arranging shipping from his end. There will probably be things that need to be done on my end...Has anyone got any helpful advise they can give me before I get to the docks?
One old Caravanner told me to be sure the trailer had a manual tongue jack because the dock workers mangled the front of his trailer trying to move it with an electric jack that was without power...ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks, Chris
CHRIS CANNON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Over-Sea

You might want to inquire abt that service from these folks at Airstreamdreams.com
http://www.airstreamdreams.com/generic40.html
They claim to be setup for shipping units overseas..
ciao
footnote: I had trouble open'in this site with IE6.Used Netscape VERSION 7.0 and that worked..
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 03:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I had sent Steve( from that website) an email asking some of the in's and out's...I didn't get a reply...Perhaps I'm cuttin' into his little market space?

I'm not trying to take anything away from a pro-shipping company... The new owner of the trailer has already arranged shipping from his end...I just want to figure out any pitfalls that may arise on my end...
A few things I would like to figure out, specifically:
Can the propane tanks be shipped or are they "haz-mat"?
Does the new owner or the shipper get the title for Customs?
How many Terrorists can we ship back? LOL

I sure would appreciate any assistance and advise!

I'm sure getting this 31 foot Airstream to the U.K. is going to be a trip!
Old 09-30-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Replies

Hi Chris,
I can't answer for Steve but, I do know he'll ans your email at some point. There's a fone number listed as well..
You've raised a few valid questions. (propane tanks being an excellent one) You might ask the guy your sending this to what they use over there..It could even be that he might wanta put his own on there..?? I, for sure, wouldn't send them with any propane in the tank~!~ KWIMC?
Just a thought..Maybe if you called the A/S factory to see if they've had any experiences with oversea shipping?? If so, might be worth a bottle of wine to "grease" some palms..lol
Good luck..
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks...
I'm getting the old girl calmed down for the Cruise...
I have been told by more than one person that the electric jack is a bad thing to have...The dock workers won't take time to raise and lower it properly, they'll pick it up from the inderbelly with forklifts if it doesn't have a manual jack...
I NEED HELP WITH GETTING THE ELECTRIC JACK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!

I unbolted the three bolts from the top, but there is a shackle at the bottom end that is bigger around than the hole in the tongue. CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE SHACKLE OFF. I don't see anything to fasten it or threads, but it has to come off somehow.