Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks all. Gus and Mary, the link was very helpful. Much better than trying to wade through it on my own as I did last night.

The 30-day issue was about the Official Veterinary Health Certificate. Apparently Canada doesn't require it but the US data I found says it is required to come back. I'll get one from my vet before we leave just in case. I'll be close on the 30 days, maybe over by a week. IF they ask for it, hopefully that won't be an issue.

I hadn't found the pet food data. We'll buy some small bags for the trip. We usually buy larger bags and repackage it. That apparently won't work in either direction.

Again, thanks everyone. Lots of good data here.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #22
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
We travel from west coast Canada into the US....into Mexico....into US ....into Canada every year for 13 years so far with our dog .....we always have an updated health certificate and have only been asked once coming into US from Mexico and Once returning home to Canada
In dozens of from the US border crossings they really don't pay much attention to the dogs usually. Even when they asked it was a quick formality ....Way stricter if you fly though.

I honestly think that when you show ups with healthy looking dogs driving a nice rig etc they generally aren't very interested in the animals.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #23
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Don't bring alot of pet food into the US....they do get weird about it sometimes and we find it easier to bring a little and buy more after you cross the border. They seem to care about the food more than the dogs!!!!
Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have never been asked for the documents at the border. Only at the pet groomers. We always carry them.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Food is a non issue if it’s made in the US. We use taste of the wild. You’re fine if you have the country of origin on the original packaging.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
We have traveled in and out of Canada multiple time these past 2 summers with our dogs. We had rabies certificates and the vaccination sheets signed by our Vet. No one ever asked for them at any of our passes through the borders.
3dawgnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks again, everyone.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We went to Canada several times with our dogs over the years. Always carry up to date shot records. Never had any issues nor any questions about dog food. Maybe lucky, but the shot records are important if your asked. You can always buy more food if for some reason they take your food...(not sure what that reason would be, unless your dog food is mixed with fresh vegies or fruits??)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #29
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
We had dog food taken away from us once about 13 years ago ...... US customs said it was because of a Mad Cow scare (dry Dog Food???) ....they said it had to be labeled made in the USA.
One time US customs took a 1/4 bag of Trader Joes brown rice away from us as we had only the name label (in a container) and not the country of origin. I didn't care as it was about $1 worth of rice .... i mentioned that Trader Joes only operates in the US (we'd brought it up).... he said make sure we keep the country of origin label next time ....LOL
Old 04-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
We have gone across the border several times with two Labs. Documentation is a must but not often asked to provide.

The issue with dog food is to have the original packaging and NO LAMB ingredients. That's what we were told our last time across in 2018.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Maybe it's a Western US thing with Customs. We go in and out of Canada through the UP of Michigan and New York, and have never encountered any questions about dog food....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We returned to the USA from Canada through the POE at Roosville, and the US agent noticed that our dog's vaccination was less than 30 days; it was 29. He had to call a supervisor to make an exception to let us through.

So now we make sure that our dog has been vaccinated at least 30 days prior to crossing a border.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Pets

We have made this crossing several times. Yes, there are some 30 day regulations, but never enforced. The better your documentation is prepared, the less likely any enquiry. We carry the current rabies certificate, a signed copy of our pet’s vet clinic record, a prominent rabies tag on the collar, and an office card of our vet. We show them when handing our passports. If a more current certificate is demanded there are clinics near the border. Remember travelers’ attitudes have consequences.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Yes , having a valid passport is necessary. I do believe in the future the enhanced drivers license will be part of the requirements in crossing borders .
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #35

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Boerne , Texas
Pet travel through Canada

First of all, I have no direct personal experience, so check this out with others, but the Canadian regulations are strict and enforcement is unbending. Our neighbor desired the same trip you are planning, and ended up leaving their two dogs behind because of the potential difficulties.
Secondly, no vet is going to be comfortable with someone showing up on their door step asking for a certificate. Plan on having your local vet call the near border vet and discussing the situation before you leave Florida. Have him make an appointment for you. Also have him discuss the Canadian regs with the NE vet.
Finally vets differ in their friendliness and skill. I have found the Granville NY Small Animal Hospital 9928 SR 22 Middle Granville, NY to have good people skills as well as great animal skills. The older owner is skilled in physical diagnosis, and relies on those skills rather than fancy equipment whenever he can. 518-642-1283 Granville is halfway between Albany and Montreal, off the beaten path, but at least this will get you started.
Northway Animal Emergency Clinic, just off exit 17N of the northway throughway has all the latest and greatest equipment, plus they are just a few blocks from the Horthway Highly skilled.
Good luck
dmgjgmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Technically you need the certificate but we have only been asked once for it in umpteen crossings over 45 years.

The only time we were asked was a week ago when my wife brought a 9 week puppy home from Canada. The US customs guy said “she’s too young for shots, right?” Yup and she was on her way.

We always travel with vaccination certificates, but have only been asked for them in New York State parks.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Manchester , New Hampshire
They took are tomatoes!

We entered Canada through NH all records in hand. I pointed to our dog in the back seat, the Royal Canadian Mounty looked at the sleeping dog and said “Have a nice trip”.

We returned through NY again will all doguments in hand. The lady looked at our canine and asked if we had purchased any produce in Canada. She confiscated the tomatoes with a smile.

This is a dangerous boarder!
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Both ways multiple times last summer w/ a yellow lab. Never asked for anything.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I used to take my dog back and forth across the Vermont/Quebec and Maine/New Brunswick borders all the time. This was the late 90s, and things may have changed, but the written requirements on both sides of the border required a certificate of health that was valid within 30 days. I was a college student at the time and did not have the funds to get a certificate every time I crossed the border. So I always brought the last one I had (less than a year old) as well as vaccination records and made sure her tags were current. I don’t remember how many times I crossed the border—dozens, though. I was asked for the papers maybe twice. But I always had them.

The ease of crossing any border was and is always some combination of luck of the draw regarding border agents, how you present yourself and your preparedness. I’ve been both lucky and very unlucky on both sides of that and other borders, but my dog always seemed like the least of anyone’s worries.