Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
overall length and campgrounds

Hey All -

We're newish to the TT thing, and so far, have only taken our Bambi to in-laws and friends places. We're planning some 3 nighters this summer in Calif State Parks and can't figure out the length restrictions. Thing is, when I call the Parks about it, ....they don't really know either.

For instance, one park states that they have 30 trailer sites and maximum "vehicle" length of 21 feet.

Another states that they have 25 ft and 35 ft back in sites.

Both of these parks say they allow a maximum of 2 vehicles per site.

So my outfit is 21 ft of truck and 19 ft of TT. Am I accepted at the 21 ft park? Or even the 35 ft'er? I figure they must be talking about the TT/RV length ONLY, and not the combined outfit length. Otherwise, why would a park have 80% of it's site that could only accept a VW Bug with a small tent trailer...?

So, what's the Rule on this?

Plus, an etiquette question: If there are 25 ft and 35 ft sites, and I am smaller, is it FirstComeFirstServed, or do I book/take the bigger (maybe nicer) site?

TIA
Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The answer is, it depends. You have to carefully read the restrictions for each place you want to camp in. We went to a park earlier this summer, with a 35 foot maximum, and found out it was 35 feet total rig length, truck and trailer. After we got there. With a 31 foot Airstream and 20 foot truck.
MOST places show the maximum length of the trailer, not the combination.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I'm as confused as you are and I've been RV camping in CA State Parks for over 12 years. My experience has been that the site length is compatible with the trailer length, so a 25' site would accomodate a 25' trailer AND the TV. You may have to parallel park the truck in front in some cases but it should fit. The thing about CA State Parks is a trailer and it's TV are considered 2 vehicles, whereas in most other parks the trailer is not considered a vehicle.

Some CA State parks underestimate the length of the sites and some do not. Keep in mind the length is measured to the tire stop, so if you back in the trailer with wheels to the tire stop, you have the rear over hang which will give you a few additional feet of driveway length, providing there is clearance behind the tire stop to do so. It may not be much for a Bambi, but it;s about 10' for my 28 footer.

Regarding your etiquette question, it's first come first served, but the longer sites are rarely nicer than the shorter sites. In fact quite the opposite is true. It all depend on the park. Nothing peeves me more than tent campers in a full hookup site though!! If I make a reservation online, I usually check out Google Earth to see if I can see what the site really looks like.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Tetstream
U should be good most everywhere. AIRSTREAM is measured from Coupler to Rear bumper.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Just tell them your Airstream is 18' long. They will know that you have a tow vehicle.

Don't ask questions, and don't offer anything unless they ask. Like you say, many don't have answers.

I'll stop at that.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
When you go to 'Reserveamerica.com' to reserve campsites in California, they list the total length of each RV site. Some Calif State Park sites allow up to 3 vehicles and up to 8 persons per RV camp site, depending on the campground.

I don't know how may other states ReserveAmerica.com is associated with, but they have very detailed information for all the State campgrounds in Calif.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
Thanks for your input. It seems that there is NO standard when it comes to stating the length restrictions of a site. Pity, because it should be simple: The overall length, period. TT+TV , or RV. Therefore, if the restriction states 35 ft and 2 vehicles are allowed, that would mean :

The drive thru or back in space for TT+TV or RV is 35 ft and there is an additional space for another vehicle, OR you can park 2 vehicles that do not exceed the space available and tent camp.

One reason I bought the 19' is for it's smaller size convenience, and I felt that it would be accepted just about anywhere.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The only place that I've been to that was very specific was Yellowstone. 'How long is your rig, from the front bumper of the truck to the back bumper of the trailer'.....uh, I dunno. He helped me guess at 52' the booked me a 54 ' site. We had 12" of spare space on each end...

Earlier this month we booked a 27' site in Big Lagoon St Park (Pensacola Fl) since it was the last available HOPING our 29' trailer would fit... the site musta been 60' deep by 27' wide
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote